Jdsk

Re: Improving cycling post covid

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, it's a great opportunity.

Jonathan
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Also Germany is building cycle superhighways. For example the 100km from Duisberg to Hamm:

https://interestingengineering.com/germ ... le-highway

Other German cities are following this example e.g. Nuremberg, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin and Munich. The Neckar cycle superhighway (370 km) will connect the cities of e.g. Heidelberg and Mannheim.

https://www.komoot.com/collection/522/t ... -the-rhine
mjr

Post by mjr »

As often pointed out, much of England doesn't even need to build. It could simply convert quiet lanes into a pretty direct cycling network, by such things as point closures (bollarding or three-quarter gating) and one-way for motoring.

My route to Norwich could then easily be five miles shorter by bike than car if two junctions had cycling measures added (one is planned when they dual another bit of A road) and then it would only need some priority measures at other junctions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Not wishing to knock a system that is largely irrelevant to me but purely to nit pick :D. Could not all these headlines, including the one on this post, accurately say "improving urban cycling"?
Rural cycling just needs a bit more consideration from a few more motorists and cyclists.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mattsccm wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 7:47am ....
Rural cycling just needs a bit more consideration from a few more motorists and cyclists.
Must depend on what region you live in. Round me a bit of road maintenance (and a lot less surface dressing, or even sweeping up after surface dressing) would help quite a lot.

Ian
Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

After attending monthly meetings with the council for my local Cycling group for the past few years it's clear there isn't the will to improve the lot of cyclists. Local councils love to spout the green agenda but they just don't follow it up. A ban on parking at the council offices might well bring about much needed cycling infrastructure, anything short of that will see no change in my opinion.
hemo

Post by hemo »

There simply is not much will to actually do anything, lots of hot air but no action.
Many local rat runs could be shut off all bar very local resident access and traffic routed to the major local roads leaving neighbour hoods quieter and safer for all vulnerable users.
Speeding is still a major concern as well as lack of road craft and that hasn't gone away since the lock downs, once behind the wheel again the same bunch of bad mortons are still competing to prove that they think they are good.