CUK protesting removal of cycle lane

[XAP]Bob

Re: CUK protesting removal of cycle lane

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mattsccm wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 10:18pm I wonder if we, as a minority , have the right to demand more. Is that really fair? Should we be treated the same* or favoured?
*Same/fair to me is absolute equality, no giving extras to allow for disadvantages.
Not suggesting we should always give in but looking at things from the greater populations point of view, if only to see the enemy.
My long term analogy is this. I can't run at the same speed as Bolt. Is a fair race both of us starting together and me getting hammered or me starting 80 metres up the track and getting a draw? So many people want the latter today but to my mind that is immoral, nay disgusting.
That will be, in some form, the views of a huge proportion of the population and to ignore or put it down isn't wise.
Of course I am talking twaddle anyway as cycle lanes where I ride can't/won't happen and I give no toss whatsoever about the cities :D :roll:
Equal and equitable are not the same thing, we should strive for equitable treatment.

Except there are a couple of things wrong with that...
One is that they should probably be *in* the stadium
The other is that society really ought to be encouraging solutions to problems, not encouraging more problems. And the current traffic problem is not going to be resolved by making even more room for personal transport, it will be resolved by personal transport taking less room.

That also brings benefits to the whole of society - cleaner air, lower healthcare costs....

And, much like taxation, these aren't things that happen without a guiding principal being put into operation with the force of law.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

dratt wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 2:30pmIt is difficult to see what CUK are trying to achieve through this case.
Writing as a West Sussex resident, it raised the public profile significantly, and possibly resulted in a wholly inadequate cabinet member for Highways and Transport being replaced. It also showed support for local sustainable travel groups with an action that they, realistically, could not have achieved on their own.
"42"
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

It’s good to see some results.

We’re getting nowhere here even though we’re in GM which is supposed to be a beacon of best practice…
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Court hearing granted in challenge to removal of High Street Kensington cycle lane":
https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/court-he ... cycle-lane

Jonathan
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 6:15pm "Court hearing granted in challenge to removal of High Street Kensington cycle lane":
https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/court-he ... cycle-lane

Jonathan
Just looked at the picture.

Clearly that pesky cycle lane is blocking access to the Kensington Brasserie :roll:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Cycling UK win: council admits illegal action in removing popular cycle lane":
https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release ... cycle-lane

Jonathan
ratherbeintobago

Good result; I wonder if it will result in anything useful on the ground though?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From the linked media release:
Cycling UK now hopes the newly formed funding and inspectorate body, Active Travel England, will mean such legal challenges are no longer necessary. Active Travel England is responsible for driving up the standards of cycling and walking infrastructure and managing the national active travel budget, awarding funding for projects that improve both health and air quality.
The cycles lanes in question look like just the sort of mess I would have hoped Chris Boardman would have prevented in the first place, had he been appointed sooner.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 10:12am Good result; I wonder if it will result in anything useful on the ground though?
I've written to the solicitors asking them to add something about remedy. (I don't know what was sought in the judicial review.)

Jonathan
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 10:24amThe cycles lanes in question look like just the sort of mess I would have hoped Chris Boardman would have prevented in the first place, had he been appointed sooner.
It was far 'less of a mess' and more useful than most of the others that WSCC installed. But I agree that isn't saying much :roll: Hopefully the replacement scheme will be more to your (&CB's) liking :)
"42"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 10:31am
ratherbeintobago wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 10:12am Good result; I wonder if it will result in anything useful on the ground though?
I've written to the solicitors asking them to add something about remedy. (I don't know what was sought in the judicial review.)
And the reply:

"The remedy Cycling UK has secured is a Court declaration that West Sussex County Council acted unlawfully in removing the cycle lane on the A270 Upper Shoreham Road, because it failed to take into account relevant statutory guidance made under section 18 of the Traffic Management Act 2004."

!

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks to the wonders of streetview, I see there was a half-baked advisory cycle lane already painted, on at least part of this road, in 2008, which is the oldest streetview imagery available there. I fancy it goes all the way back to the Two Jags regime when highway authorities were rewarded for such things as the length of cycle lane painted, without the slightest reference to quality or the needs of cyclists. The most obvious thing that we can all predict about advisory cycle lanes, confirmed here by a quick review of the streetview history is that the cycle lanes were routinely obstructed with parking. The wands protected the lane but imo just emphasised that it was way, way too narrow.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The "remedy" published suggests not directly. I do hope no cyclists have been injured on that road as a result of botched overtakes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
dratt

Post by dratt »

squeaker wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 10:49am
It was far 'less of a mess' and more useful than most of the others that WSCC installed. But I agree that isn't saying much :roll: Hopefully the replacement scheme will be more to your (&CB's) liking :)
[/quote]

There will be no replacement scheme - they have already consulted on it and the locals said "no". So rather than build anything they are propsing further engagement.
https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/news/next ... l-options/
Local democracy generally stifles anything that might be considered progress.
ratherbeintobago

dratt wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:21pmThere will be no replacement scheme - they have already consulted on it and the locals said "no". So rather than build anything they are propsing further engagement.
Consultation =/= referendum, and the DfT may still pull their transport funding.