Talking back

Dick Dastardly

Re:Talking back

Postby Dick Dastardly » 8 Nov 2005, 4:35pm

Jeez- that's something I really didn't know....how disturbing. And this miserable government refuse to dual the whole stretch because it'd cost £600m. That war in Iraq is value though eh?
When I passed my bike test in '86 the instructor told us that dual carriageways are not the same as motorways- ie it was still 60mph on a dual/70mph limit on an M-way. How come these days the dual limit for cars/bikes is up to 70mph? The same limits but one is allowed things crossing it, bikes, mopeds, horses?

Dick Dastardly

Postby Dick Dastardly » 8 Nov 2005, 4:47pm

section 103, right enough...sorry for my ignorance! This is utterly ridiculous on the only arterial road through the Highlands. Time to write to my MP!!!!

PHIL

Postby PHIL » 8 Nov 2005, 7:46pm

Moan Moan Moan............
You're like a load of old women, I wondered why that bloke 'Roadrunner' had left!

mike6

Postby mike6 » 8 Nov 2005, 11:03pm

Just what is "ridiculous" Dick? Better surely for an HGV to act as rolling traffic calming device than a cyclist.
The ridiculous aspect is the blind eye turned by authority to speeding HGVs.

Dick Dastardly

Postby Dick Dastardly » 9 Nov 2005, 6:52pm

Mike-It's ridiculous from the perspective of "ordinary" car users on a road with no "nasty" bends, yet long sweeping ones which seriously hamper safe overtaking.
What I have witnessed as these trucks trundle along, is the distracted massive queues that form with some pretty horrific, dangerous overtaking- and what if you were on your bike, the tesco truck came up behind you and slowed down? more frustration and more stupid manoevres, and you can be pretty sure that the non-cyclist drivers won't even be thinking that you may be there as they try and peer round the truck, snaking left and right for a peek and to avoid oncoming traffic. This road alternates between 80mph for most people on the dual, then a huge drop to 40mph on the single. I think frustration is far more dangerous than an HGV sitting at 60mph. Maybe you should try the road and let me know what you think then?!

mike6

Postby mike6 » 10 Nov 2005, 2:41am

I just do not want lorries overtaking me at speeds in excess of 40mph, if the car drivers are unhappy, they can take the train or the bus.

Andy Tallis

Postby Andy Tallis » 10 Nov 2005, 5:19pm

Or cycle!!!
:-)