Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

khakibrain1

Humber Bridge

Post by khakibrain1 »

Reopens to cyclists & pedestrians from tomorrow Thursday 6 May 2021.
Steve X

Re: Humber Bridge closed to cyclists & pedestrians indefinitely

Post by Steve X »

From reading this https://www.humberbridge.co.uk/humberbridge/news/

“However, the recent tragic events are unlike anything we have previously dealt with, and we are working closely with Public Health, local MPs, local authorities, emergency services, the Samaritans, Hull and East Yorkshire Mind and other stakeholders to fully understand them and assess the future risk. While this is ongoing, the footways must remain closed to the general public."

It would appear it is still closed.
thirdcrank

Re: Humber Bridge closed to cyclists & pedestrians indefinitely

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect that the HBB is up one of the World's largest creeks etc.....
Jdsk

Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

Post by Jdsk »

Update from Cycling UK:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/humber-b ... edestrians

includes:

"People on cycles or on foot can now cross the bridge between the hours of 5am and 9pm without the need to register in advance; however, anyone wishing to cross outside these hours will still need to send their details to bridge officials ahead of time. There still appears to be no mention of this on the main Humber Bridge website, however when Cycling UK made an enquiry via the toll payment site humbertag.com, a representative confirmed that in order to cross the footways between 9pm and 5am, people need to email mail@humberbridge.co.uk to register."

Jonathan
markjohnobrien

Re: Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

Post by markjohnobrien »

Good news but long overdue.

I feel sorry for local cyclists especially those who commuted across the bridge: the closure must have been a nightmare.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's a pity that there's been no legal decision on the HBB's actions here and the closer they edge back to status quo, any sort of legal challenge seems less likely.

The fact that the HBB has dismissed objectors with vague references to emergency powers suggests to me they are busking: if there was an explicit power to act as they have, I think it would have been quoted verbatim to shut up critics. I think they have simply ignored their duties as the traffic authority and have got away with that in the absence of an expensive legal challenge. The problem then is that if for whatever reason there are more deaths, it may be more of the same.

AFAIK, a coroner's inquest is still obligatory in cases of suspected suicide so there must be quite a few in the pipeline; if these are reported, perhaps in the local media, we may hear if there was something which influenced the HBB in reacting as they did, or if it was entirely the sudden increase in numbers. We may also find out if there was a common factor among the deceased eg loss of employment in steelworks.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... s-covid-19
Among men, the area with the highest rate was Yorkshire and the Humber at 20.6 per 100,000, followed by the south-west at 19.4. London recorded the lowest rate with 11.8.

The area with the highest female suicide rate was also Yorkshire and the Humber at 7.3 per 100,000, while the north-east had the lowest rate among women at 4.1.
The pandemic may have contributed. What action on barriers?
Yorkshire and Humber population 5.5 million roughly, 55 x 27.9 = 1534 suicides in 2019 roughly.
Edit (incorrect, roughly 13 per 100,000, not 27.9), roughly 660 deaths).
So the Humber Bridge could be expected to encounter some unfortunate deaths.
Last edited by Steady rider on 8 May 2021, 6:32pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Steady rider wrote: 8 May 2021, 3:43pm https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... s-covid-19
Among men, the area with the highest rate was Yorkshire and the Humber at 20.6 per 100,000, followed by the south-west at 19.4. London recorded the lowest rate with 11.8.

The area with the highest female suicide rate was also Yorkshire and the Humber at 7.3 per 100,000, while the north-east had the lowest rate among women at 4.1.
The pandemic may have contributed.
There has been enormous concern about the effect of the outbreak on suicide, self-harm and mental health.

The available evidence for England (and several other countries) does not show an increase in suicides:
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n834

Jonathan
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

The Feb/March/April 2021 figures for the UK may show a trend, have to wait for data.

How does Hull compared with other parts of the Yorkshire and Humber Region for suicides?
Is there a need for a special help facility in the region that would connect better and reduce rates?
Yorkshire Prevent Suicide Group, Y-P-Suicide-G, a local connection perhaps?
2019 data
YORKSHIRE AND THE HUMBER 660

East Riding of Yorkshire 46
Kingston upon Hull, City of 39
North East Lincolnshire 16
North Lincolnshire 19
York 23
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... lauthority
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The geographical variation in those figures is huge. Quite shocking.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My post about future inquests was intended to suggest that we may find out from one or more of them what prompted the HBB to close the HB to pedestrians and cyclists.

Jumping from height is a common method of suicide and big bridges are common locations for that method. The HB has been the site of suicides ever since it was built. Historically, the HBB doesn't seem to have taken significant steps to tackle this. I suppose it's idle curiosity but I wonder whether there was something beyond the actual suicides which prompted the HBB - or perhaps the HB management to act so precipitously.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Yes, it would be interesting to know. There are lots of statistics around suicides which I suspect aren't available, such as whether more take place from bridges over railway lines than from bridges over rivers, which may well be the case, or whether measures to deter suicides actually just shift the suicide to somewhere else or prevent it, which is probably impossible to determine.

However, I strongly support thirdcrank's comments about the need for a legal decision on HBB's actions.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Understandable perhaps that reporting is restricted, but I think self-harm prevention should be investigated, doubtless someone is doing that but perhaps they are keeping quiet
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I was under the impression that it was just the walk/cycle ways that had been closed?AFAIK you can still cycle on the roadway across the bridge?