Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

seph

Re: Humber Bridge closed to cyclists & pedestrians indefinitely

Post by seph »

I’ve used the bridge on many an audax, at all times of day or night... It is always a highlight.
Very much hope that sense is seen, soon!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 6:14pm I avoid driving on the A15 not sure I’d cycle it :D
Why? It's a decent A road. I use it several times a week and have done for many, many years. Used to cycle to work on it for about 16 miles each way.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pete75 wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 10:49pm
Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 6:14pm I avoid driving on the A15 not sure I’d cycle it :D
Why? It's a decent A road. I use it several times a week and have done for many, many years. Used to cycle to work on it for about 16 miles each way.
BiL advises me not to use it. Says there are lots of accidents. In fact isn’t there one of them number of deaths signs as you come on at the North?

Edit: for link
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... er-1599048
Last edited by Paulatic on 3 Apr 2021, 11:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

seph wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 10:41pm I’ve used the bridge on many an audax, at all times of day or night... It is always a highlight.
Very much hope that sense is seen, soon!
My first crossing was on a 400k that started and finished at the bridge. 200 in Yorkshire and 200 in Lincs. Do they still run it?

E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 11:04pm
pete75 wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 10:49pm
BiL advises me not to use it. Says there are lots of accidents. In fact isn’t there one of them number of deaths signs as you come on at the North?

Edit: for link
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... er-1599048
There's the odd accident now and again but there are on most country A roads.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

This is appalling. Is anything being done to get it changed, petition, etc. If so please let the forum know.

I haven't used the bridge, but would like to sometime. I have cycled many big bridges when on tour overseas and they are often a highlight of the day - stunning views, etc. Interestingly, many countries build pedestrian and cycle facilities into their new bridges the UK just ban the few they have.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pete75 wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 11:21pm [

There's the odd accident now and again but there are on most country A roads.
As with most A roads the risk varies along its length. In my own area A75 & A701 spring to mind
What I forgot to mention, it’s the right turn off into his village there is no refuge and also on a bend. There are lots of accidents there. I take a right turn off it a lot earlier than needs be, because it’s in a wide bit with a refuge, and take the country route.

E2E info
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

simonhill wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 8:33am This is appalling. Is anything being done to get it changed, petition, etc. If so please let the forum know.

I haven't used the bridge, but would like to sometime. I have cycled many big bridges when on tour overseas and they are often a highlight of the day - stunning views, etc. Interestingly, many countries build pedestrian and cycle facilities into their new bridges the UK just ban the few they have.
To be fair I have some sympathy for the bridge board. Six people have jumped from the bridge in the past week or so. I hope this closure is a temporary measure, and I think this ban is the board's way of calling out for help from other authorities. It's 40 years since the bridge opened and there have been calls to do something about suicides for as long as I can remember.

Some cyclists - and others - on social media haven't done themselves any favours by going on about their physical and mental health. But imagine the mental health of the staff and board of the Humber Bridge, waking each morning wondering if there has been another death - and very often finding out that there has been another one. Leisure cyclists have plenty of options both side of the estuary - it's cycle commuters and those who walk to work avoiding public transport that I have sympathy with.

The bridge's design is such that it avoids the pitfalls of earlier bridges that were susceptible to a side wind. Solutions to prevent those who wish to take their own lives are technically difficult - from what I understand - as well as being inordinately expensive. The MP for Hull West and Hessle is supportive of the board's decision. She played a significant role in getting a pedestrian and cycle bridge over the A63 at Castle Street, so maybe she is well placed to help to find some long term solution. Dunno.
Last edited by keyboardmonkey on 4 Apr 2021, 9:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 8:59am To be fair I have some sympathy for the bridge board. Six people have jumped from the bridge in the past week or so. I hope this closure is a temporary measure, and I think this ban is the board's way of calling out for help from other authorities.
That's what I thought most likely: "Let's pause and think".

keyboardmonkey wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 8:59amSome cyclists - and others - on social media haven't done themselves any favours by going on about their physical and mental health. But imagine the mental health of the staff and board of the Humber Bridge, waking each morning wondering if there has been another death - and very often finding out there there has been another one.
Yes. And of course there'll be even more attention than usual because of the mental health problems caused by the outbreak and our response to it.

Jonathan
velorog

Post by velorog »

So, where is the shuttle bus with bike trailer to ferry commuters over the bridge. No thought given as to how regular cyclists and pedestrians will get to their places of employment. There is a clear lack of joined-up thinking here.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

<rant on>
I find the media description of an 'incident' really offensive. Just as bad is the 'person hit by train' - we seem to be experiencing a current epidemic of this. Even the gender of the unfortunate male has to be concealed.

So when a Cranebridge teacher 'died' it is a caddish thing to ask how or why he 'died' out of respect for his family. The very same family that took away his Kash, Kar, Kids, and Kastle.
</rant on>

A very good initiative in these current times of madness (IMHO) is to make an effort to talk to our fellow man. If he is sitting alone on a bench, or beside a rail crossing then strike up a conversation.
Last edited by atlas_shrugged on 4 Apr 2021, 11:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Surely it is simple enough to make some sort of metal cage to enclose the paths. Were jumpers known of when the bridge was being planned?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Or even a cheap polycarbonate tube with enough ventilation holes so you do not overheat in summer. They could even add a tail wind assist perhaps powered by solar panels. But I fear the money will be put into important projects elsewhere such as installing anti-cycling barriers - for safety reasons don't you know.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 9:48amWere jumpers known of when the bridge was being planned?
Yes.

Cyril Haearn wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 9:48am Surely it is simple enough to make some sort of metal cage to enclose the paths.
Wikipedia: "Suicide barrier".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_barrier

But I'd never assume that anything that I don't understand is simple, eg:
https://archive.is/20130505080143/http: ... ticle.html

Jonathan