Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

Steady rider

Re: Humber Bridge closed to cyclists & pedestrians indefinitely

Post by Steady rider »

Jdsk » 21 Apr 2021, 10:18am

Steady rider wrote: ↑21 Apr 2021, 9:41am
Failure to properly maintain a highway, could go to a local court.
Are you thinking of civil liability resulting in damages?
No it was other cases without compensation.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Steady rider wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 2:14pm
Jdsk » 21 Apr 2021, 10:18am

Steady rider wrote: ↑21 Apr 2021, 9:41am
Failure to properly maintain a highway, could go to a local court.
Are you thinking of civil liability resulting in damages?
No it was other cases without compensation.
I don't understand what sort of cases you are describing or that you think might be brought here. Civil, criminal or administrative, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Some time ago a road in north yorkshire with very poor repairs, no tarmac, no proper drains, dangerous for cyclists, Lund Road is the name https://www.google.com/search?q=Lund+ro ... e&ie=UTF-8
The case went to a local magistrates court claiming NYCC had not properly repaired the road. The case was abandoned after half a days hearing.
Another case went to magistrates court, district court and high court in Liverpool, was a fair case but I think costs were incurred.
I have not kept all the details. Neither case may relate to this particular situation, legal opinions are needed.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've just had a look at it on Google satellite. I see it is two lane dual carriageway. Simple solution, cone off a single lane each way and make them bike lanes. Anyone walking would be easily spotted.

Edit: For those who walk to work (not many I would think), or genuine hikers, etc, they could use the phone in system until something better is worked out.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

or they could walk in the cycle lanes.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Pete Owens wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 2:19pm It would be worth writing to your MP.
Done that too. Let's see if David Davis is interested.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My suspicion - and it's nothing more than that - is that a traffic authority doesn't have a power to introduce an "is your journey necessary?" type of policy. If they did, then traffic reduction policies would have succeeded long ago.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Today's update from Cycling UK:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/humber-b ... youre-bike

Jonathan
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Prompt reply from David Davis. (Nothing from David Elvidge).

Thank you for your email regarding the closure of the footpaths along the Humber Bridge.
I raised this matter on behalf of my constituents with the Chief Executive of the Humber Bridge Board. Attached is a response I recently received.
Frankly, the response is rather bland. I have therefore pressed for more details about when the footpaths will reopen and the measures being put in place. I will be back in touch once a further response has been received.
Yours sincerely,
Rt Hon David Davis MP
HBB_Response.JPG
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for posting.

That's exactly what I'd do, and it will be very interesting to see if he pursues this.

Jonathan

PS: I was impressed by some of Davis' work as Chair of PAC, worked on the same side in the campaign to oppose national identity cards, and thought that his performance as Chief Negotiator and SoS provided strong support for my view that Minister shouldn't generally be appointed from the ranks of MPs.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 6:14pm Today's update from Cycling UK:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/humber-b ... youre-bike

Jonathan
Somewhat ironic that they would allow folk to cycle across to do their volunteer shifts for Samaritans! :shock:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If people may not cross the bridge, they may not be able to get to work, may lose their jobs and decide to take their lives, -99
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 7:17pm If people may not cross the bridge, they may not be able to get to work, may lose their jobs and decide to take their lives, -99
AIUI according to the Board if they have no other means of transport then pedestrians and cyclists can cross to get to work.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PaulS wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 6:25pm Prompt reply from David Davis. (Nothing from David Elvidge).....
Well done for your letter writing! (In case anybody missed this David Elvidge is a member of the HBB and a member of East Riding of Yorkshire Council.)

There must be other forum members who live in this area and I'd urge them to write too, especially to any of these people seeking their vote at the May local elections.

The Chair of the HBB is Cllr Sean Chaytor, a member of Hull City Council. Other local councillors on the HBB are Cllr Stanley Shreeve, of N E Lincolnshire Council and Cllr Richard Hannigan, North Lincolnshire Council

Two other (unelected?) members of the HBB, Peter Drennon and Stephen Parnaby OBE are described as members of the Humber Local Enterprise partnership whose website says it has now finished operations.

https://www.humberlep.org/

This organisation lists among its achievements completion of the Hull and East Yorkshire Cycle Route Delivery Programme – Phase 1

Nothing about cycle routes over the HB but it includes this
A number of ‘quick win’ routes throughout the city of Hull
https://www.humberlep.org/project/hull- ... e-phase-1/

While I'm on, I think other local MPs are Andrew Percy (Brigg and Goole) The Rt Hon Sir Greg Knight (East Yorkshire) and Emma Hardy, Hull West and Hessle, who is referred to early in the thread as trying to get this sorted.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... %20of%20it.
130 Protection of public rights.
(1)It is the duty of the highway authority to assert and protect the rights of the public to the use and enjoyment of any highway for which they are the highway authority, including any roadside waste which forms part of it

Possibly a local court could hear a case of the HBB not following the law. They have their reasons and a case could be made to say they could have taken alternative measures to cater for the situation.