Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

keyboardmonkey

Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Last edited by Vorpal on 7 May 2021, 6:55pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: bridge status change
Jdsk

Re: Humber Bridge closed to cyclists & pedestrians indefinitely

Post by Jdsk »

I've reported the new problem with links.

Jonathan
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 4:55pm I've reported the new problem with links.

Jonathan
Cheers.

Text from ‘Humber Bridge News’ on Twitter:

“Due to a recent incident, we have decided to close the footways on both sides of the Humber Bridge for an indefinite period.

We appreciate this may cause inconvenience but we ask that pedestrians and cyclists respect the decision and avoid the Humber Bridge at the present time.”
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Blimey! Indefinitely can they do that? I’ve used it a few times when I’m in that neck of the woods and off the top of my head can’t think of anything near by.
From Scunny what is the alternative for a cyclist?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

There are other bridges from which people have jumped.
The Menai Bridge springs to mind.
Are all these to be closed to cyclists and pedestrians?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 5:41pm Blimey! Indefinitely can they do that? I’ve used it a few times when I’m in that neck of the woods and off the top of my head can’t think of anything near by.
Over Keadby Bridge, the road along the west side of the Trent to Goole and over Boothferry Bridge. The road over the Humber is the A15 not a motorway so presumably you can cycle on it though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I avoid driving on the A15 not sure I’d cycle it :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

pete75 wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 6:04pm
Paulatic wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 5:41pm Blimey! Indefinitely can they do that? I’ve used it a few times when I’m in that neck of the woods and off the top of my head can’t think of anything near by.
Over Keadby Bridge, the road along the west side of the Trent to Goole and over Boothferry Bridge. The road over the Humber is the A15 not a motorway so presumably you can cycle on it.
One time there was a strong westerly and we planned to go south over the Humber Bridge on a long ride. So instead we did a round-the-Humber so we went out in to a headwind and back with a monster tailwind. Over 100 miles on the day via Boothferry Bridge.

As for “The road over the Humber is the A15 not a motorway so presumably you can cycle on it.” The stretch of the A15 over the estuary is the Humber Bridge and cyclists have always been specifically banned from mixing with the motorised traffic.

There is a separate shared use facility on both sides - although the eastern side had already been closed for quite a while.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I know theres a public bus service over the bridge (possibly routes 250/350?) for pedestrians, but i doubt very much that it takes cycles. Maybe a word from the bridge authorities is needed?
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

millimole wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 6:32pm I know theres a public bus service over the bridge (possibly routes 250/350?) for pedestrians, but i doubt very much that it takes cycles. Maybe a word from the bridge authorities is needed?
Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 18.34.31.png
https://twitter.com/HumBridgeNews/statu ... 8134742017

Or did you mean about alternative routes?

Jonathan
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

pete75 wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 6:04pmThe road over the Humber is the A15 not a motorway so presumably you can cycle on it though.
No you can't:

https://goo.gl/maps/NpybUdfQSZPwQ4377
Last edited by Pete Owens on 3 Apr 2021, 6:52pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 4:59pm We appreciate this may cause inconvenience but we ask that pedestrians and cyclists respect the decision and avoid the Humber Bridge at the present time.”
"inconvenience" !!!
That is a 60 mile detour - have thy signposted the diversion?
That is a bit more than inconvenience for anyone who commutes between Barton and Hessle.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Pete Owens wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 6:47pm
keyboardmonkey wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 4:59pm We appreciate this may cause inconvenience but we ask that pedestrians and cyclists respect the decision and avoid the Humber Bridge at the present time.”
"inconvenience" !!!
That is a 60 mile detour - have thy signposted the diversion?
Ha ha. As someone has pointed out their Twitter bio doesn’t even acknowledge that cyclists use the bridge so it’s unlikely!
Humber Bridge Board Twitter bio
Humber Bridge Board Twitter bio
Cyclists get a mention on the signs telling them that pedestrians have the right of way (or whatever) and that cyclists should ring their bells.

I last rode across the bridge in January. I had no plans to return. Not pleasant. Why on earth anyone would take a dog on a walk over a mile-long steel and concrete structure is beyond me. And most pedestrians move out of the way when they hear a polite “Can I just squeeze past there?”, but the crowds of walkers on the bridge have got bigger since Covid, and the decision to keep the eastern “footway” closed even though - as I understand - the maintenance on that side is complete, is baffling.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Being a local yokel. The Humber bridge has had a few "jumpers" over the last few days. There was a proposal some time ago that the parapet was raised or enclosed to obviate such incidents; but the expense got in the way. Obviously a pain for those contemplating a S-N route over the Humber. Best dodge if you are this way is to stay south of Scunthorpe and cross the Trent at Keadby Bridge N to Garthorpe/Adingfleet through to Goole and then Airmyn picking up NR65/TPT just south of Howden. I am sure the situation will resolve itself..........eventually.

K
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
PaulS

Humber Bridge closed to bicycles

Post by PaulS »

Closed indefinitely to bikes and pedestrians following a spate of suicides. Still open to motor vehicles.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hu ... ly-5261126