Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

PH

Re: Humber Bridge closed to cyclists & pedestrians indefinitely

Post by PH »

Copied from a facebook post from one of the local MP's
Emma Hardy MP
❗Humber Bridge Update❗
The Bridge Board are setting up a system for commuters to register so they can cross the bridge. This should be ready within a week to ten days.
They are looking at having an online form created but in the meantime if you need to cross the bridge for work then please phone them to give them your details. 01482 647161
M-F 8:00am - 4:00pm
They are hoping to reopen for leisure users from May but only after new cameras are installed and extra volunteers are ready to patrol the bridge.
Working with MIND and Samaritans to have extra volunteers on the bridge but if you are interested in being a volunteer please give your details to the Bridge Board.
They are ultra sound testing parts of the structure to see what physical measures could be introduced - for example raised barriers.
I will be meeting with the Chair of the Bridge Board again on Friday and I will provide you again with an update.
Just to clarify, I do not sit on the Bridge Board and I do not represent them. I promised to update everyone following my meetings with them and that’s what I’ll do. The bridge board is made up of representatives from North Lincs, North East Lincs, Hull and East Riding Councillors. It’s not party political but the majority of the representatives are Conservative. mail@humberbridge.co.uk
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 6:58pm Maybe I shouldn't post this, but how will CCTV help? Can the bridge workers run/drive from their posts quick enough to reach a jumper?
Those who dal with this all the time seem convinced that CCTV has a useful role to play in preventing suicide, not just from bridges. Cameras in other locations have volunteers watching them and people are able to offer help to those vulnerable and distressed. There's no winners here, or points to prove, someone talked off a bridge can be dismissed as just crying for help and who knows if someone who's killed themselves could have been helped.
Some suicides are opportunistic, that doesn't mean that someone crossing the bridge suddenly decides to jump off, it's more likely someone depressed hears about others doing so, it becomes normalised and the opportunity presents itself. IMO closing the bridge while they looked at ways to deter this, was the right thing to do and may have saved lives.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

PH wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:26pm
mjr wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 6:58pm Maybe I shouldn't post this, but how will CCTV help? Can the bridge workers run/drive from their posts quick enough to reach a jumper?
Those who dal with this all the time seem convinced that CCTV has a useful role to play in preventing suicide, not just from bridges. Cameras in other locations have volunteers watching them and people are able to offer help to those vulnerable and distressed. There's no winners here, or points to prove, someone talked off a bridge can be dismissed as just crying for help and who knows if someone who's killed themselves could have been helped.
Some suicides are opportunistic, that doesn't mean that someone crossing the bridge suddenly decides to jump off, it's more likely someone depressed hears about others doing so, it becomes normalised and the opportunity presents itself. IMO closing the bridge while they looked at ways to deter this, was the right thing to do and may have saved lives.
+1
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If I read that correctly you can only travel to work between the hours of 0800 & 1600 and only on a weekday. That’s a solution is it? Another knee jerk reaction with little address to the real problem.
I have great sympathy for the friends and family of those who take their own life. It must affect their lives greatly. Admittedly this action will affect the wider community for a lot less time hopefully but for weeks?
Imagine if the trains stop running for a few weeks after every suicide? (283 in year 2019-20) The train driver gets as much time off as needed and a 'Chain of Care and Support programme' after the incident. Maybe Humber Bridge staff should be getting similar as IIRC the stress to staff was mentioned as one of the reasons for closure.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

8oo-16oo are the telephone times I think, one could book to travel at other times maybe, but whatabout unplanned overtime late?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 8:48am 8oo-16oo are the telephone times I think, one could book to travel at other times maybe, but whatabout unplanned overtime late?
I can't see any further announcements from the Board or the MP, although she mentions a further meeting last Friday.

I imagine that if you 'phone outside those hours it won't be answered and you won't be given permission.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wonder how strict they will be on "for work'?

If a leisure or touring cyclist rings to book a crossing, will they have to prove it is work related?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In terms of separating commuters from people who may be likely to jump off the bridge, it might be much easier to organise something that worked in practice, than something which would cover every eventuality on paper, but so much depends on staffing levels.

Anybody who regularly commutes by bike will see loads of the same commuters most days, often at almost exactly the same place on their journey. I've no idea of how the Humber Bridge is staffed but if the same people are observing passing traffic on some rota system, then regular cyclists and pedestrians will be familiar. Others won't and they are the ones needing more attention. Within their number the sightseers and one-off touring cyclists and hikers I presume will be a majority. It's been pointed out that CCTV has helped identify those at risk on busy railway station platforms; perhaps it would be even more effective with the fewer people on this bridge. Of course, there would still be the matter of the long distance spanned by the bridge.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

simonhill wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:29am I wonder how strict they will be on "for work'?

If a leisure or touring cyclist rings to book a crossing, will they have to prove it is work related?

Better think of, and research, a workplace in advance if they’re going to be difficult.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:26pm IMO closing the bridge while they looked at ways to deter this, was the right thing to do and may have saved lives.
Maybe closing was the right thing but it has been handled badly and the damage to livelihoods could be as bad as the loss of life would have been (as if deaths are randomly-distributed, last month may have been a random cluster and now could have been a random quiet period). I bet no impact assessment has been made, else a Dartford-style dial-a-ride shuttle would probably have been used.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... The bridge board is made up of representatives from North Lincs, North East Lincs, Hull and East Riding Councillors. ...
Not necessarily the best way to get anything pressing handled well.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 11:29am
... The bridge board is made up of representatives from North Lincs, North East Lincs, Hull and East Riding Councillors. ...
Not necessarily the best way to get anything pressing handled well.
Nope. I've had experience of being on boards and committees. What I've learnt is they work best with an odd number of people and three is too many.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Nope. I've had experience of being on boards and committees. What I've learnt is they work best with an odd number of people and three is too many.
Genius!
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Driving on the M62 one day, I think it was a suicide case with someone off a high bridge, it took hours to clear the road and all the alternative routes were full of traffic. In England and Wales about 100 suicides per week. How many suicides cases were from cyclists crossing the bridge and how many from walkers in the last few years? If very few cyclists, let them use the crossing as it is often essential to their travel plans, walkers could use a bus service - perhaps with conditions. Install some extra high fencing.
The suicide cases may go to an alternative location. Alternative options to closing the bridge for cyclists and pedestrians may be worth considering. Two people checking would be needed, to allow/cater for cyclists only crossing, temporary measure.