Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

KTHSullivan

Re: Humber Bridge closed to cyclists & pedestrians indefinitely

Post by KTHSullivan »

Stop Press:

Local BBC News has just said "The Humber bridge authority want to open the foot and cycle paths as soon as possible".
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 8:47pm Cyclists and pedestrians don’t pay a toll. You can imagine how much priority they will give them.
Neither do motorcyclists and they're not banning them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
velorog

Post by velorog »

It is not clear yet when the bridge will be re-opened. The HBB are quoted at saying asap. Let's hope that some bright spark at the HBB has finally realised that people need to get to work tomorrow when the factories on the south bank re-open after the Easter break.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

This doesn’t change anything, but the bridge board has finally put a statement on its web site:

https://www.humberbridge.co.uk/2021/04/ ... statement/
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 10:01am This doesn’t change anything, but the bridge board has finally put a statement on its web site:

At least it’s something.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
mjr

Post by mjr »

markjohnobrien wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 10:10am
keyboardmonkey wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 10:01am This doesn’t change anything, but the bridge board has finally put a statement on its web site:

At least it’s something.
It's not much. I can be "looking at" reopening the bridge but that doesn't mean I'm doing anything about it.

The Humber Bridge Act 2013 says cyclists and pedestrians cross with nil toll. Is the ban legal?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nez

Post by nez »

You've got to have some sympathy both for those who decide to end things this way and for the people who deal with the result.
mjr

Post by mjr »

nez wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 10:42am You've got to have some sympathy both for those who decide to end things this way and for the people who deal with the result.
Holy non sequitur, Batman!

Everyone has sympathy for them. The bridge board shows no sympathy for cyclists using the bridge for transport.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

I've just had a reply from Cycling UK. They're checking with local campaigners.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wonder if there's a bit more to this than meets the eye. We live in a society where not only can people say "They should do something about it" but can generate a lot of publicity if they don't. Corporate manslaughter seems to be increasingly mentioned and coroners' inquests are sometimes used to generate publicity. All fair enough, but it should be no surprise if it generates a bit of backside covering as well.

(I do know this is pure conjecture.)
nez

Post by nez »

mjr wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 11:06am
nez wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 10:42am You've got to have some sympathy both for those who decide to end things this way and for the people who deal with the result.

Everyone has sympathy for them. The bridge board shows no sympathy for cyclists using the bridge for transport.
I wonder if you quite grasp the size of the bridge. Obviously if it keeps happening the bridge management need to prevent it both for protection of the would be suiciders and for the mental health of bridge workers and the Humber Rescue - but introducing some sort of physical prevention will be an enormous task. I wonder if they'll have to settle on a shuttle bus that will take bikes. I honestly don't think there's a glib quick answer. I used to love riding over it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

nez wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 11:24am

I wonder if you quite grasp the size of the bridge.
Yes, unsurprisingly, I have used it. Until its closure, it was often claimed to be the longest cycleable single span suspension bridge in the world.
Obviously if it keeps happening the bridge management need to prevent it both for protection of the would be suiciders and for the mental health of bridge workers and the Humber Rescue - but introducing some sort of physical prevention will be an enormous task. I wonder if they'll have to settle on a shuttle bus that will take bikes. I honestly don't think there's a glib quick answer. I used to love riding over it.
I don't know which solution is best but the current screwing of cycle transport ain't one! As a minimum, an on-demand shuttle service should have been provided immediately. The bridge board is taking less care of cyclists than a weekend railway crossing closure!
nez

Post by nez »

mjr wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 11:46am
nez wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 11:24am

I wonder if you quite grasp the size of the bridge.
Yes, unsurprisingly, I have used it. Until its closure, it was often claimed to be the longest cycleable single span suspension bridge in the world.

Obviously if it keeps happening the bridge management need to prevent it both for protection of the would be suiciders and for the mental health of bridge workers and the Humber Rescue - but introducing some sort of physical prevention will be an enormous task. I wonder if they'll have to settle on a shuttle bus that will take bikes. I honestly don't think there's a glib quick answer. I used to love riding over it.
I don't know which solution is best but the current screwing of cycle transport ain't one! As a minimum, an on-demand shuttle service should have been provided immediately. The bridge board is taking less care of cyclists than a weekend railway crossing closure!
I think we agree really. Sorry if asking did you know the bridge was insulting - not everyone does and it is vast

Ps round here when they do bus/train replacement no one gives a fig for cyclists
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Philip Larkin wrote words for a cantata to celebrate the opening of the bridge, it was performed in Kingston upon Hull City Hall, 11. April 1981
..isolate city.. Half-turned to Europe :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A cyclist contacted Humberside police about this and was told the bridge is private property and the board could do what it liked. He was told by bridge staff to use the main carriageway which he did. He was then stopped at the other end by traffic police who told him he couldn't ride on it. Bizarre.
The actual closure consists of a sign and some traffic cones. Hardly likely to stop anybody determined to jump off.

https://road.cc/content/news/mixed-mess ... dge-282333
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker