Humber Bridge now open to cyclists & pedestrians

Pete Owens

Re: Humber Bridge closed to cyclists & pedestrians indefinitely

Post by Pete Owens »

Mike Sales wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 11:23am Is there something different about the Humber Bridge?
Maybe they still haven't got over their failed attempt to ban us from the A63.
Last edited by Pete Owens on 4 Apr 2021, 11:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 9:47pm
thirdcrank wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 9:36pmMy initial reaction was that if somebody wants to take their own life, then if one location like this is unavailable they'll go somewhere else or use another method, but on reflection, I'm not sure it's as simple as that.
Suicide is now usually thought to be opportunistic. If the immediate possibility isn't there another doesn't have to be taken. There isn't a fixed amount to be allotted somewhere and somehow.
But that argument doesn't apply with the Humber Bridge.

I can see the logic with town gas - everybody lived most of their lives with the immediate means to effect a painless death, pretty much whenever the mood took them. The same applies with restricting the number of painkillers in a pack and so on. But to get to the middle of the Humber Bridge on foot takes planning and determination.

The volume of pedestrian traffic routinely crossing the bridge is orders of magnitude too small to provide a sufficient number of opportunistic jumpers to account for the suicides. These will be people who have decided to end it all and deliberately gone to the bridge for that purpose. Someone in that state is hardly likely to worry about whatever the fine is for riding past a no cycling sign.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I was thinking of suicide barriers rather than no-cycling signs.

And I wasn't restricting "opportunistic" to people who were already walking across the bridge.

"Efficacy of suicide barriers for saving lives"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_b ... ving_lives

Jonathan
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 12:10am I was thinking of suicide barriers rather than no-cycling signs.
But that is the only thing preventing suicidal cyclists riding across the bridge (at least from the southern end)
And I wasn't restricting "opportunistic" to people who were already walking across the bridge.
But that is what opportunistic means - At the time someone has a suicidal thought do they have the means to act on it there and then.
"Efficacy of suicide barriers for saving lives"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_b ... ving_lives
It states:
Efficacy_of_suicide_barriers_for_saving_lives wrote:Many studies have shown that well-designed suicide barriers stop people from jumping at a particular site, but no study has found the overall suicide rate within an area decreased significantly after a barrier went up as a result of that barrier.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Is the roadway on the bridge restricted to bikes, surely that would take a road rule change?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

anyone got a boat?

Ban bikes and peds by all means but have in place an alternative ferry service - there used to be one just along at Boothferry before the bridge was built. Similarly down here on the Severn, three ferrys were taken out when the crossing was built making a similarly long diversion for non motorised traffic if the foot/cycle ways are closed for any reason. The alternative of course is some sort of shuttle bus a la Thames crossing (i've used a similar set up in Germany where a ferry was replaced by a tunnel), I'd be quite willing to pay a 'reasonable' fee for either type of approach, just because we aren't motorised doesn't mean we should necessarily get free passes all the time. They could even have a tourist train type affair that used the foot/bike paths - sometimes you have to think outside of the box.

On a side note, how many people do commute by foot/bike over the bridge? I can see that there may be a few cycle journeys but walking? Its @ 4 miles from central Barton to Hessle on foot so @ an hour walking or its 22 minutes by bus which runs half hourly. (the suggested walking diversion is 55 miles!)

I've crossed the bridge by bike a few times - its on my usual route to the ferry for starters, it would be a shame to be prevented from riding / crossing over permanently but perhaps a temporary closure will break the cycle of 'incidents'.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
velorog

Post by velorog »

There are major employers at both ends of the bridge so there could be quite a number of people who walk or cycle over the bridge each day. While I agree with temporarily closing the footways the Humber Bridge Board has not made any alternative provisions for pedestrians or cyclists. Their website currently states that the bridge is open to all traffic. It is only when you scroll down the Twitter feed that you find the footways are closed. If you don't have any local knowledge you would not be aware that this means cyclist may not cross. The HBB are treating non-motorised traffic with complete disdain.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's not much worse than arriving by bike at some sort of lengthy diversion around a vital link where you cannot just dodge through. I suppose that arriving on foot is one of those things that is worse. If the people responsible cannot at the absolute minimum display prominent warnings on their website etc., then they do seem either extraordinarily incompetent or totally lacking consideration or both.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Does anyone know if our organisation is on the case? Or how we start that process? We put loads of energy into protecting the nearby A63 for the time-trialers. This closure is a big thing for us lesser mortals.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I haven't seen anything. I've just written to them.

Jonathan
millimole

Post by millimole »

thirdcrank wrote:There's not much worse than arriving by bike at some sort of lengthy diversion around a vital link where you cannot just dodge through. I suppose that arriving on foot is one of those things that is worse. .
Actually in this case, arriving on foot gives you the advantage of being able to use the bus. Arrive by bike and its a long detour.

I do wonder if there's anything in the contract with the Bridge Authorities about access for non- motorised users.
I'm sure Cycling UK will be on the case (unsure if that's /s)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This guy gets across amid confusion 2:28.

It’s private property and can do what they like.
Get offa my bridge
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 3:17pm I haven't seen anything. I've just written to them.

Jonathan
Ditto.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

VinceLedge wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 8:52am Is the roadway on the bridge restricted to bikes, surely that would take a road rule change?
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6921417 ... 312!8i6656
nez

Post by nez »

Seems horrendous with the spring coming. I used to stay in Hull and kept a bike up there so I could go into over the river at weekends. It's a great ride and a great pity. It's a great walk too - sunny days attracted a lot of walkers. They'll have to walk to Hornsea now. :shock: