Local elections 2021

thirdcrank

Local elections 2021

Post by thirdcrank »

The local elections are due to take place in England in May. (I don't know about elsewhere.)

Among the offices to be filled in these elections are local "police chiefs" AKA police and crime commissioners. In areas with an elected mayor, that postholder is also the PCC.

If you want to have any hope of influencing them, now may be a good opportunity.
John Holiday

Re: Local elections 2021

Post by John Holiday »

Good idea. In North Wales, the existing PCC is retiring. Have been trying to find out Candidates attitude to Road Safety , having been told by current PCC that”Road Safety is not a North Wales Police priority “!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

John Holiday wrote: 6 Apr 2021, 9:30am Good idea. In North Wales, the existing PCC is retiring. Have been trying to find out Candidates attitude to Road Safety , having been told by current PCC that”Road Safety is not a North Wales Police priority “!!
That's particularly ironic
Richard Brunstrom (born September 1954, Nottingham) is a retired British senior police officer. He was the Chief Constable of North Wales Police from January 2001 to July 2009. As such he carried through vigorous changes of strategy, including a campaign to reduce road deaths which attracted high-profile attacks in national media. On his retirement the chair of the North Wales Police Authority said "Under his leadership north Wales has become one of the best performing forces in the UK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Brunstrom

ie He was prepared to upset the motorists.
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Hi, in the West Midlands we have Mayoral and WMPCC election on 6th May the present PCC incumbent is retiring. We've framed our campaign around Vision Zero (no road deaths or serious injuries) working with a campaign supported by Action Vision Zero, Road Danger Reduction Forum, Road Peace, CUK nationally and a lot of local cycling, walking (Living Streets), playing (ROAM) and Low Traffic Neighbourhood residents groups.
CUK is in there as Bike West Midlands, CTC Coventry and CTC Sandwell support it.

Here's our main manifesto put together by the excellent Jeremy Leach and Amy Aeron-Thomas who provided great support and research on local data. I'm sure they'd be pleased to help as it's part of a national campaign.

https://actionvisionzero.org/mayoral-an ... ions-2021/

David
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, David.

Just had a very quick look and looking forward to studying it in detail.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

thirdcrank wrote: 4 Apr 2021, 5:13pm The local elections are due to take place in England in May. (I don't know about elsewhere.)

Among the offices to be filled in these elections are local "police chiefs" AKA police and crime commissioners. In areas with an elected mayor, that postholder is also the PCC.
Though around here the PCC functions will (probably) be deputised. The deputy with PCC responsibility won't be elected.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Bit of a bruhaha with our election at the moment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-56651644

Seems some shenanigans has taken place..................Alegedly :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Perhaps it varies from place to place, but for Avon & Somerset, the PCC and Combined Authority mayor are separate positions.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 9:33pm Perhaps it varies from place to place, but for Avon & Somerset, the PCC and Combined Authority mayor are separate positions.
I think that wouldn't make sense anyway because the WoE Combined Authority does not cover most of Somerset.

The only Mayors with PCC powers are London and Greater Manchester, to be joined by the Mayor of West Yorkshire once elected.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Apologies if I have over-generalised in my attempt to get campaigners interested in the PCC elections.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It was a "fortunate error" because it made me realize I should find out whether the PCC is elected by police force area or by electoral area. The former would make more sense but the latter would probably be easier to organize! And would result in a greater body of input to the police chiefs. Come to that, it might be worthwhile finding out exactly what the PCC is meant to do (and why the post ended up with such a dead-to-irony name: "Crime Commissioner" really?)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

2021 United Kingdom local elections
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Unit ... _elections

2021 England and Wales police and crime commissioner elections
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Engl ... _elections

Listed and searchable by area.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Suppose previously served in Elections for a number of years, elections are useful.

But thirty minutes reading through the election blurb? It'd take hours of careful consideration to come to a considered opinion, so whilst it's essential when idiots were proposing Brexit to vote, have to admit I can't be bothered with this one. Postal votes in the bin
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Rather limited enthusiam here as I believe that a Police function should be an appointment of qualified officer much like the army. As for local politics strongly loath tyhe idea that any party politcis should be involved belw national level. Local gov should be to do the best for the locals and stuff any government view points. Politcis at county level. Ridiculous.