Local elections 2021

thirdcrank

Re: Local elections 2021

Post by thirdcrank »

It seemed to me that Boris Johnson's general elect victory depended on a promise to "get Brexit done" which recognised public frustration over the impasse in Parliament. That wasn't evidence of a massive swing in support for Brexit, just a desire to finish the process. The resulting huge majority enabled him to keep that promise.

Perhaps he's unaware of the public frustration over his dithering with lockdown.

Although Brexit is "done" in the sense that the UK has withdrawn from the EU, the reorganisation of our lives is isn't. It was never going to be quick, but some anticipated outcomes are dreams. eg The chronic housing shortage was blamed on providing for immigrants and some NIMBYs thought house building was over.

A locally-targeted election campaign can be very effective. It's how the Tories rewarded their Coalition partners in 2015, coming close to wiping out the Lib-Dems in Parliament. AIUI, the Lib-Dem campaign in this byelection was based on a couple of local issues: HS2 and planning reform and - particularly with HS2 - did not follow Lib Dem national policy.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Stevek76 wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 4:33pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 4:09pm
One thing I think everyone can agree is that it isn't "done".
Can they? I think as far as voter perception goes, for a reasonable proportion it's 'done' at present in the sense that it's no longer dominating the news cycle.
It's done in the same way that childbirth is parenting "done"

It should still be dominating the news cycle, but because we are pretending it didn't happen (for imports) the shortages are being somewhat mitigated. There are still empty boxes, particularly of fresh produce, in supermarkets, and as the hospitality industry is encouraged to spread the delta variant further the shortages of workers for our food supply chain will start to become more apparent.

No-one who is paying any attention could possibly think that brexit was in any way "done".
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From the most recent LibDem manifesto (p48) STOP BREXIT: BUILD A BRIGHTER FUTURE
Support High Speed 2,
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/l ... 1574876236
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 1:07pm
It's done in the same way that childbirth is parenting "done"
Yes, I know that, part of the reason I put quotes around my first use of it! The conservative polling lead however indicates plenty are buying that it's 'done'. And for those who wanted to remain, there's no longer the possibility that the whole thing could get dropped easily thus the pressure to vote 'least worst' Labour as in 2017/19 has gone.

Obviously if the illusion of done starts to fade then conservatives may start to lose support, same if (when?) the 'levelling up' comes to nought.
No-one who is paying any attention could possibly think that brexit was in any way "done".
Plenty don't pay much attention. Plus even if they do see eg the lettuce is a bit sparse (and really that's the only thing that's been a bit off in my supermarket) they have to link that to brexit and not covid or something else.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The conservative polling lead however indicates plenty are buying that it's 'done'.
Till there's a byelection?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the long-gone days when I used to work in Kirklees, there was a local magazine The Spen Valley Spark. Somewhere along the line it went out of business, in common with most of the local printed media. It briefly re-emerged as an online blog but that's gone as well. The gossip columnist used the moniker Big Ears and seemed to have loads of contacts. I see there's now a book with some of the archive material: I wonder if the 94pp is a coincidence.

https://notinheckmondwikebookshop.com/2 ... -kirklees/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The most informative infographic so far:

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 2:00pm Till there's a byelection?
Perhaps, but by elections are funny things and it's worth not reading too much out of them as far as national voting intention goes. GB wide polls didn't exactly shift much as a result of the previous one and B&S might nudge them a little more but I doubt the solid Tory lead is going anywhere for a bit until they start messing stuff up that cuts through to their voter base, which it must be remembered is significantly comprised of retried or near retired, wealthy and sheltered suburban and rural people who mostly don't feel the consequences of their voting.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop