Local elections 2021

thirdcrank

Re: Local elections 2021

Post by thirdcrank »

Rather limited enthusiam here ....
That was probably well-demonstrated at the inaugural elections for these people when some of the turnouts were really low. My point would be that for the time being these roles are here to stay. The wield quite a lot of power in setting local priorities and are, presumably, sensitive to lobbying from their electors.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 3:02pm cUK on the subject:-

https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/road-cri ... all-change
I've just put together a local election news item for submission to KLWNBUG's May newsletter, including that. Thanks for the notice. cUK seem to have stopped sending non-affiliated cooperating campaigns CycleClips yet again. Nose, face, spite?

The cUK video is unusable for me because all but two of the cyclists are wearing funny hats. Why doesn't cUK produce videos that are representative of UK cyclists, the majority of whom don't do that? It feels like cUK only represents cUK group riders :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

It’s been brought to my attention that the list of candidates who’ve signed the Cycling UK pledge (searchable here) isn’t exactly exhaustive.

If there’s anyone who you know should be on it (such as e.g. the entire LD slate locally) they can email campaigns@cyclinguk.org to be added.
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Here is our latest summing up on the West Midlands Mayoral and Police and Crime Commissioner Elections seeking to be impartial. Useful links to Adam Tranter's excellent Five Asks and a video by Sustrans which gets each candidate to say where they stand on Active Travel all within 9 minutes !!

https://www.pushbikes.org.uk/event/get- ... s-and-vote
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Illusion of choice, not even on the electoral roll as years of disappointing outcomes so don’t vote anymore.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

David Cox wrote: 3 May 2021, 3:51pm Here is our latest summing up on the West Midlands Mayoral and Police and Crime Commissioner Elections seeking to be impartial. Useful links to Adam Tranter's excellent Five Asks and a video by Sustrans which gets each candidate to say where they stand on Active Travel all within 9 minutes !!

https://www.pushbikes.org.uk/event/get- ... s-and-vote
Thank you.

That's the way to do it.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It looks as though the system of locally elected police and crime commissioners may get a bit of a test. Previous convictions disqualify a candidate and it turns out that a candidate in the recent elections was disqualified. If he wins, then there may be a re-run. Without simultaneous council elections, the turnout may be low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-w ... e-57054226
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

I think they're going to have to re-run.

It's also potentially a criminal offence to declare you're eligible to run for office when you aren't...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

He apparently believed he was eligible. I predict that he shall 'win' but be disqualified, how bizarre, could a replacement tory win? I fear she might, the voters might revolt. But I expect this to be the beginning of the end of This Tory Madness :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 11.05.15.png
But not at all what it seems. It's described as "No overall control", as it was before, but this time the Conservatives can't get a working majority from support by Independents.

Big cycling and LTN issues in the city.

And probably a lot of opposition to loss of Green Belt land to housing. (The Oxford to Cambridge "Expressway" has already been abandoned.)

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 10 May 2021, 11:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Indeed. A very strong result for pro-cycling candidates in Oxfordshire.

I'm hopeful a new administration will deal with the County Council's sclerotic transport planning, which keeps implementing pretty terrible schemes (most recently in Witney). It's got to be good news for long-sought cycle paths like Eynsham-Botley, Hanborough-Woodstock and Thame-Haddenham too.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Anyone from Bristol... ?

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Moving this here:
Stevek76 wrote: 8 May 2021, 7:13pm Once thing that is standing out to me in these elections is that people in urban areas who've invested in cycling infrastructure (be that proper separated tracks, low traffic neighbourhoods or both) and generally reduced the dominance of motor traffic have been re-elected with increased support.

And the anti LTN candidates in London have all fallen hilariously flat.
OK, back to cycling topics! The above doesn't seem to have worked in Cambridgeshire, with Mayor Palmer having led during construction of some decent cycleways (Hills Road, Huntingdon Road, Green End Road, Chisholm Trail, with more planned), but I think his transport reputation was sunk by his rather odd plan for self-driving buses in tunnels called "Cambridgeshire Autonomous Metro" (CAM). With new Mayor Dr Nik pledging to scrap it, that's probably the best part of a few million pounds written off... I wonder how much that could have built for cycling...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 10 May 2021, 11:38am Anyone from Bristol... ?
Maybe Redvee has a view on the effects on either the Bristol or WoE mayoral elections?
Redvee wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 1:09am I used to ride up through the car park when I had to go from central Bristol back to my Mum's place near the top of Whiteladies Road, can't do that now without the security guards trying to catch you and If I need to get to the top of Park Street now I'll ride up past the BRI.