speed enforcement cameras to be cut !!!

Top5pies

speed enforcement cameras to be cut !!!

Postby Top5pies » 5 Nov 2005, 8:48pm

had Radio 4 news on in the background and heard that the Dpt of Transport people plan to reduce the number of speed enforcement cameras ( another sop to the motoring lobby ) and at a time when the number of cycling related accidents is on the increase.......
never mind reducing the number of speed cameras, they should double the number.
time for me to devote more time to writing angry letters I think!

Andy Tallis

Re:speed enforcement cameras to be cut !!!

Postby Andy Tallis » 5 Nov 2005, 9:23pm

Go4it! (Radio 4 related joke for the observant.)
And let's paint them in more subtle colours, I hate the orange.

Pedalling Pete

Postby Pedalling Pete » 6 Nov 2005, 10:51pm

Is this decision made by a department of the same government that is trying to look Green by dropping some dosh into the back pocket of the CTC so they can proceed with their empire building of Cycling Development staff to train people to teach people to ride their bikes?

Joined-up Government it ain't! And I'd prefer the CTC to tell the Government where to stick it's cash, and just get on with the job of fighting for the rights of it's members. Instead it seems to be following the money, just like the YHA, regardless of the needs of it's members.

And if I understood the damn "Consultation Paper for CTC Local Groups", I'd use the Questionnaire to say so.

Presumably the next policy announcement from this Green Government will be an amnesty for those who damage, or chop down, the remaining speed cameras! We don't want to criminalise the electors, so let's ignore their crimes! "You know it makes sense!"

robin

Postby robin » 7 Nov 2005, 12:38pm

has anyone ever been flashed on their bike?

Stilly

Postby Stilly » 7 Nov 2005, 2:00pm

Robin

I have not ben flashed but in my younger days I was stopped for doing 35 in a 30. The copper was a bit confused as to what to do and told me that speed limits apply to cyclists as well.

Andy Tallis

Postby Andy Tallis » 7 Nov 2005, 5:31pm

Do they? It's really confusing but I think it's a very grey area. I would not advise speeding on the bike though. The limits are ussually for a reason. Last time I found the temptation too much and did 34 into Bala someone pulled out in front of me! Luckily quite far ahead and the opposite lane was empty. I really wish I hadn't gone quite so fast and continue to try to stick to the limit as I feel it's wrong not to.

Pedalling Pete

Postby Pedalling Pete » 7 Nov 2005, 6:03pm

No they don't. You can't be guilty of exceeding a speed limit if your vehicle has no means to warn you; and a bicycle is not required to have a speedometer. But the law does allow the offence of riding furiously I believe. So they could try that one.

I have actually seen cases in the tabloids of points being put on the driver's licence of a cyclist. Clearly the cyclist did not get proper legal advice, and neither did the magistrate: My understanding is that points are only applicable for offences relating to motor vehicles, so the penalty was clearly faulty, as were the local magistrates procedures.

FYI that rule also applies to the "Breathalyser", and if a cyclist is tested in this way, the evidence is inadmissable as it was introduced under a road traffic act. If you are riding a bike, all the old rules still apply, so they may still take the pi**!