National Close Pass Day (14/4/21)

markjohnobrien

Re: National Close Pass Day (14/4/21)

Post by markjohnobrien »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 1:57pm I've remembered a fairly recent thread started by Mike Sales about a report by the police inspectorate, Roads Policing: Not optional - An inspection of roads policing in England and Wales

viewtopic.php?p=1508569#p1508569

IIRC the only mention of cycling - in a report claiming to be about improving the safety of vulnerable road users - was a makeweight reference to Operation Close Pass. Bearing in mind that cUK organised the crowdfunding of £15,000 worth of mats, they have an interest here as stakeholders, in the lingo. If you want to influence the police service, the inspectorate is a good place to start because that's who controls many of the purse strings. A taste of that may be felt here, where the responses of the "police chiefs" of the forces inspected are linked (scroll right down.)

https://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk ... and-wales/

FWIW, I've read the response by the outgoing PCC for West Yorks and there's no mention of Close Pass.
Thanks - very interesting.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

I saw an advert on the back of a bus recently (in the last week) that had a car, a bike and an arrow showing 1.5 meters. This was in Buckinghamshire.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

6.5_lives_left wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 10:01pm I saw an advert on the back of a bus recently (in the last week) that had a car, a bike and an arrow showing 1.5 meters. This was in Buckinghamshire.
Excellent idea - should be national.

Thanks to everyone who replied (my OP) and in particular t/c for his research on Essex. I was all fired up on Friday to write to my PCC, but then realised all I would get is a string of platitudes that would wind me up even more. Sadly I haven't had much if any meaningful response to any of my suggestions or complaints re cycling in my locale. I think Southend is desperately trying to keep it's "worst town for cycling" accolade.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was all fired up on Friday to write to my PCC,
Up for re-election on 6 May. As good a time as any to write to the candidates