20m monopole on a shared pavement

mfjachambers

20m monopole on a shared pavement

Post by mfjachambers »

I'm new here so sorry if I'm raising an issue that's been discussed before.

I live in Birmingham near a road where "3" (the telecoms co) has applied for planning permission to install a 20 metre monopole and two surrounding cabinets on a pavement which is a shared cycle lane and footpath. It will be in the cycle lane section, in an area that is wider because it used to contain a bus shelter. The precise location is also at the junction of a small footpath leading on to that shared pavement and there are already 6 lamp- or signposts along the side of the pavement, within a few metres of the proposed monopole site. Does anyone have any experience of challenging this kind of application and of the relevant guidelines? Thanks for any help. Best wishes
ClappedOut

Re: 20m monopole on a shared pavement

Post by ClappedOut »

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://as ... 65c5vEiDfe

My thinking is moving pedestrians/cyclists in the road defeats the purpose of a pavement and cycle path.
mfjachambers

Post by mfjachambers »

Thanks a lot. V kind. I will at least refer to these guidelines as sth to be taken on board
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The relevant guidelines (LTN 1/20) state that pavements shouldn't be shared anymore.
mfjachambers

Post by mfjachambers »

Thanks. I wonder if we can interpret that to mean that poles should not be added to cycle ways?
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Pdf download and read and highlight the sections.

I see 8-80 plus inclusive, so as for example Charlotte's tandems I gave a donation to helps those who have difficulties it.could be said putting an obstacle in a cycle lane goes against national guidance.
Either set the obstacles off a cycle lane or site else where.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The guidance is that the pavement shouldn't be shared
Pedestrians should not be required to share space with cyclists and cyclists should not be directed to ride on the pavement.

Putting street furniture on a wide pavement is not a problem for the appropriate users of pavements (ie pedestrrians) - the problem is treating cyclists as wheeled pedestrians.
mfjachambers

Post by mfjachambers »

Thanks very much
mfjachambers

Post by mfjachambers »

Thank you very much
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Another thought the pavements went through a period of widening locally here, is there a standard A or B road pavement width and does said cabinet contravene it?

My thoughts are the council may or may not bother to flow legislation and pointing out the legislation makes it hard to whitewash over it.