CALNE to CHIPPENHAM CYCLE PATH (NCR403)

Bmblbzzz

Re: CALNE to CHIPPENHAM CYCLE PATH (NCR403)

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I know the section you mean, I've ridden it a couple of times and actually enjoyed it. But I've only ridden it on audax-type rides, never actual transport. AFAIK it's not actually a designated cycle route, just a bridleway that's fairly useful.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

A decent compacted crushed gravel surface makes for a pleasant ride on any type of bike. I don't think you should have to buy a mountain bike to use these routes in comfort, or return from your ride completely plastered with mud.
Broadly agreed, and if you read back that’s exactly what I said, that a well compacted gravel surface (AKA ‘the forest road standard’ is more in keeping with the rural nature of the route. As an aside, I’m convinced based on my own experiences that tarmac on routes such as this (where by their nature there are significant numbers of pedestrians and horseriders, a factor which takes them outside the guidance issued in LTN 1/20) lead to a clear increase in cycle user speed and a consequent increase in user conflict.

I maintain that that standard and context doesn’t mean such a route should be surfaced to road bike standards (ie. suitable for <25mm high pressure clincher or tub)

I’m reminded of when Sustrans wanted to tarmac the cinder path in North Yorkshire, locals rightly objected to it as an act of cultural vandalism
gaz

Post by gaz »

Zulu Eleven wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 9:04pmBroadly agreed, and if you read back that’s exactly what I said, that a well compacted gravel surface (AKA ‘the forest road standard’ is more in keeping with the rural nature of the route.
Swillers.png
There's a lot of roads in rural Kent, Swiller's Lane is one of them.

I've not heard anyone calling for the tarmac roads in rural Kent to be returned to dirt tracks. It seems to me that most people consider tarmac to be in keeping with rural areas so long as they can drive their car on it.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

gaz wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:29pm I've not heard anyone calling for the tarmac roads in rural Kent to be returned to dirt tracks. It seems to me that most people consider tarmac to be in keeping with rural areas so long as they can drive their car on it.
I would say there’s very clear opposition, in Kent and elsewhere, to the use of cars on vehicular routes that are not already tarmac surfaced, and equal opposition to tarmacking those unsurfaced routes where vehicles do have a legal right of access.

Certainly the latter would not support your contention of people being in favour of tarmac so long as they can drive their car on it