"Rural Connections" in Scotland

Jdsk

"Rural Connections" in Scotland

Post by Jdsk »

"Cycling UK is launching a new project to get more people in rural and remote areas of Scotland walking, wheeling and cycling.

"Called Rural Connections, the project is specifically designed to meet the unique needs of Shetland, Orkney, Highland, Eilean Siar, Moray, Argyll and Bute and Scottish Borders. Dedicated Cycling UK staff will be based in these seven areas and will support people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to get active for everyday journeys, leisure and adventure."

https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release ... cycle-more

Jonathan
PH

Re: "Rural Connections" in Scotland

Post by PH »

Wheeling?
Does that cover skateboards and scooters and the like?
Or is that when the Shetland and Orkney wind is so strong you have to get off and push?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PH wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 6:21pm Wheeling?
Does that cover skateboards and scooters and the like?
Or is that when the Shetland and Orkney wind is so strong you have to get off and push?
Good point. According to "find on page" it occurs some nine times in the media release but we can only guess at what it means.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Using a wheelchair?

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Barrows surely :D
I wheel mine most days.
I have asked CUK why the Scottish Borders but not Dumfries & Galloway?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Term tends to mean "wheelchairs", covering a very wide range of possible machines.
PH

Post by PH »

Nigel wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 7:20pm
Term tends to mean "wheelchairs", covering a very wide range of possible machines.
That's interesting and almost makes me feel bad for asking, except Google doesn't seem to know either, no mention of it in the first two pages of results.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd be fascinated to read anything mainstream that equates wheeling with wheelchair use. eg In real life, Mrs Thirdcrank used to teach moving and handling where wheelchair use is an important element and she gave me a blank look when I asked her. I do appreciate that's there's a difference between people who depend on being pushed and independent users, but the former seems more like wheeling than the latter.

The only reason this matters is that if you are campaigning for something, your message needs to be crystal clear. If this usage is widespread, I'll add it to the new things I've learned.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Frankly, I don't care if Dumfries and Galloway is not included. Let's "Keep it Quiet" for goodness sake,
Tim
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

PH wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 7:29pm
Nigel wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 7:20pm
That's interesting and almost makes me feel bad for asking, except Google doesn't seem to know either, no mention of it in the first two pages of results.
I first saw the term in regular use about a year ago, with the introduction of temporary lanes in roads to facilitate "walking, cycling and wheeling". The "wheeling" had me puzzled for a while as well. It may be a term more used by Scottish government bodies than elsewhere, which could account for its appearance in the Rural Connections stuff, and its low ranking in any Google search.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

"Wheeling" is the Scot Gov term for wheelchair use. Has been since the Access Code started.
Agitate, educate, organise.
PH

Post by PH »

Tinnishill wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 5:31pm "Wheeling" is the Scot Gov term for wheelchair use. Has been since the Access Code started.
Thanks, it's a good descriptive term, I'd like to see it more widely used.