Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

Mike Sales

Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

Post by Mike Sales »

It has just been trailed that Radio 4's Today is going to discuss the above in the next hour.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Re: Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

Post by simonineaston »

...must be quiet day for news and they're scraping the barrel.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:32am ...must be quiet day for news and they're scraping the barrel.
And they found Nick Freeman at the bottom.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

Just heard it. Kevin O' Sullivan was picked to speak against compulsory numbers on tabards for cyclists. Not sure by whom?

Mr Loophole used the number plate argument, the gist of which is that it would make cyclists easier to identify and therefore they would cycle within the law and not jump red lights etc.

Unfortunately our guy completely ignored that, going on about it would drive down the number of cyclists, health and the like. While that is undoubtedly true, I think. He missed the open goal of pointing out to Loophole and the listeners, that obviously number plates on motor vehicles clearly don't have that effect on drivers.

I know this is unlikely to happen, probably because of the cost involved. So it's unlikely we will be "numbered up" anytime soon. But hopefully we'll have someone a bit more about them if it goes any further.
mjr

Post by mjr »

DaveBeck wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:37am Unfortunately our guy completely ignored that, going on about it would drive down the number of cyclists, health and the like. While that is undoubtedly true, I think. He missed the open goal of pointing out to Loophole and the listeners, that obviously number plates on motor vehicles clearly don't have that effect on drivers.
Another killer argument against it is how rarely hire bike reg numbers are requested. It is a lot of expensive bureaucracy for almost no benefit.

What hook did Today give for this spasm of bike-bashing?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
djnotts

Registration Tabards?

Post by djnotts »

Half-heard on Today programme. Expensive to "register" every bicycle so a number plate jacket to be worn by every cyclist. Administratively possible I suppose, but so many complications.

OTOH, so many cyclists damaging SUVs and goods vehicles by deliberately riding into them "something must be done." And all those pedestrians walking into speeding cars and leaving blood on them, they must be identified.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

They know how to set the cat among the pigeons. There's at least one other thread running about this.................

And more priceless free publicity for that unsurpassed self-publiciser, Mr Loophole
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The notion that cyclists cause damage (and so it is implied, must be punished - very very severely...) is one of those through-the-looking-glass suggestions that have you looking around for someone with an atomiser, who must surely be spraying all concerned with a light solution of LSD !! Where do they get their ideas from? I note with suspicion that GB News launched y'day - more outpourings from resentful, right-wing, populist flame-grilled wing-nuts - exactly the sort of people who think tabards-for-all-cyclists is a Jolly Good Idea.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

mjr wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:44am
What hook did Today give for this spasm of bike-bashing?
There didn't seem to be anything specific, I heard them say just before 8am that there would be an item on in the next hour.
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

"cyclists cause thousands and thousands of injuries to pedestrians"
This statement went unquestioned. :evil:
Nick Robinson cheerfully ended the interview by saying that he suspected they would have lots of emails in reaction - well if they are going to put people on who spout total BS they probably will !
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

So worst case scenario if this did become law, how many of us would comply because it is the law, how many of us would say that it I have had enough and How many would be prepared to break the law and ride without risking the possibility of prosecution to stand up for our rights ? As did Fred Hill with the Motorcycle helmet law.
NUKe

Post by djnotts »

"How many would be prepared to break the law and ride without risking the possibility of prosecution to stand up for our rights ? As did Fred Hill with the Motorcycle helmet law."

I would ... but only up to the point where fine would bankrupt me or jail time loomed.

The car lobby is readying itself for all out war against alternative transport that I can see this actually being a policy flyer.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As remarked up-thread by revo.. the assertion by someone called Nick Freeman that (e-scooter riders and cyclists) “they’re causing thousands and thousands of injuries to pedestrians.” is, I think, both wild, invented and alarmist and went unchallenged - I have written to the Today progrmme to complain and I encourage others to do likewise. Their email address (predictably) is: today@bbc.co.uk
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Was that this Nick Freeman?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Freeman

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Complain to the BBC and you'll get an automatic email saying that they've received your comments (not complaint), thank you and that they're investigating them.

Then good few weeks later another, shorter email saying your complaint hasn't been upheld. I suspect they're both automated responses.

It's still good people are still prepared to go through the charade that is BBC complaints. Perhaps you'll get lucky and it becomes that rarest of animals, an upheld BBC complaint!!!