Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

Post by Mick F »

Exactly.
What about borrowing one, or even stealing one?

Thinking whilst riding yesterday, that cars could use another car's number plate. Who would know?

Maybe if the real number belongs to a grey Ford Focus and the bogus one is on a red Vauxhall Astra, maybe the ANPR system would flag it up, but what can they do? Immediately send the police out to follow the bogus car?

With a cyclist in a tabard with a bogus number, how can anyone reporting a transgression identify the actual rider?
Will there be a DVLA registering these tabard numbers?
Will ANPR be even be re-programmed for cyclists?

Ha! Ha!
Certainly not! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The cloning of reg numbers certainly goes on.

Some Continental countries have a system where anyone can look up the owner of any reg.
The reg number belongs to the owner or registered owner -not the vehicle.

The system also provides home addresses!!
So if you get cut up..... :shock:
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Mick F wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 2:23pm Exactly.
What about borrowing one, or even stealing one?

Thinking whilst riding yesterday, that cars could use another car's number plate. Who would know?

Maybe if the real number belongs to a grey Ford Focus and the bogus one is on a red Vauxhall Astra, maybe the ANPR system would flag it up, but what can they do? Immediately send the police out to follow the bogus car?

With a cyclist in a tabard with a bogus number, how can anyone reporting a transgression identify the actual rider?
Will there be a DVLA registering these tabard numbers?
Will ANPR be even be re-programmed for cyclists?

Ha! Ha!
Certainly not! :lol: :lol:
Aye well given how bogged down the DVLA have been since the start of the COVID issues, this alone will probably kill the idea off, at least for the next 12 months and possibly beyond.
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 10:05am I'd not want to get sidetracked onto vehicle crime but I think it's more complicated than vehicle identification numbers (VINs) The fact that secondhand cars change hands for peanuts and anybody with the nerve to drive without insurance, MOT etc can expect to get away with it must have some effect. Put another way, if the authorities don't bother much about motor insurance, taxation, disqualified drivers and the like, more of the same for cyclists would be weird, if popular in some quarters.
Indeed. I have recently had a couple of long work journeys across the country and back, and not a polis car to be seen. In fact the only time I've really seen much polis about was the beginning of the COVID restrictions, now things are getting "back to normal-ish" I don't see the polis about.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

ThePinkOne wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 2:49pm
thirdcrank wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 10:05am I'd not want to get sidetracked onto vehicle crime but I think it's more complicated than vehicle identification numbers (VINs) The fact that secondhand cars change hands for peanuts and anybody with the nerve to drive without insurance, MOT etc can expect to get away with it must have some effect. Put another way, if the authorities don't bother much about motor insurance, taxation, disqualified drivers and the like, more of the same for cyclists would be weird, if popular in some quarters.
Indeed. I have recently had a couple of long work journeys across the country and back, and not a polis car to be seen. In fact the only time I've really seen much polis about was the beginning of the COVID restrictions, now things are getting "back to normal-ish" I don't see the polis about.
Certainly, there’s plenty of driving that suggests no-one is expecting to see a police car.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have two police cars here.
Devon and Cornwall Police.

One each.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've often wondered what on earth is the point of giving points to and "banning" an individual who doesn't engage with the established system in the first place... there's absolutely no deterant there whatsoever surely - or am I missing something?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

simonineaston wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 8:40pm I've often wondered what on earth is the point of giving points to and "banning" an individual who doesn't engage with the established system in the first place... there's absolutely no deterant there whatsoever surely - or am I missing something?
Indeed, I've thought (and said) for some time, that any driving ban should have attached to it "If you are caught driving during your (say 1 year) period of the ban, you will be jailed for 1 year. And regular checks near the felon's abode should take place. Of course it will never happen.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The introduction of cycling licences raises the prospect of offenders cycling while disqualified
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

fastpedaller wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 10:48pm
simonineaston wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 8:40pm I've often wondered what on earth is the point of giving points to and "banning" an individual who doesn't engage with the established system in the first place... there's absolutely no deterant there whatsoever surely - or am I missing something?
Indeed, I've thought (and said) for some time, that any driving ban should have attached to it "If you are caught driving during your (say 1 year) period of the ban, you will be jailed for 1 year. And regular checks near the felon's abode should take place. Of course it will never happen.
Yup.
And I'd go onto say that more drivers guilty of endangering and/or injuring the public should expect (at least) a short prison sentence.
(very little checks are required while they are behind bars!)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 11:25am Yup.
And I'd go onto say that more drivers guilty of endangering and/or injuring the public should expect (at least) a short prison sentence.
Prison is expensive. How about just crushing the car?
It would make people careful about lending their car too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Mike Sales wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 11:28am
mattheus wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 11:25am Yup.
Prison is expensive. How about just crushing the car?
It would make people careful about lending their car too.
Long my favoured option. And for the worst offences guess what I would leave in the car.....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Disqualification only seems to be effective with people who comply anyway. I think that there's the mechanisms and systems in place to make detection easier than it has ever been but few police are engaged on enforcement. I'm not suggesting nobody gets caught driving while disqualified but it's a tiny part of those who do it undetected. The MIB keeps reporting the numbers of uninsured vehicles and I suspect the majority of those are used by disqualified drivers.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 2:56pm Disqualification only seems to be effective with people who comply anyway. I think that there's the mechanisms and systems in place to make detection easier than it has ever been but few police are engaged on enforcement. I'm not suggesting nobody gets caught driving while disqualified but it's a tiny part of those who do it undetected. The MIB keeps reporting the numbers of uninsured vehicles and I suspect the majority of those are used by disqualified drivers.
I suspect you’re probably right. I think the numbers are 1.6m with either no license, no insurance or both. Of course these are people far more likely to be driving unroadworthy vehicles, and are involved in 1:5 incidents.

Why? Because the chance of getting caught is so small. Why roads policing is such a low priority when road crime has a direct effect on almost everyone’s quality of life…

Edit: I’d have thought it’s also got a pretty good cleanup rate?