Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

thirdcrank

Re: Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

Post by thirdcrank »

The sad thing IMO is that BBC programme producers know exactly what they are doing in pursuit of audience numbers.
awavey

Post by awavey »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 12:07pm ...although its simply not possible to know why the topic was added to the programme's running order without asking the editor/s, the segment amounts to free advertising for the individual concerned, when you consider that he was able to make unfounded assertions (probably very carfully scripted ahead of time), while at the same time, staying calm, reasonable-sounding and dependable. Very clever. Next time I'm caught driving my Porsche at 60-plus down the local school lane, I will definitely give him a ring - he sounds ideal...
well Mr Loophole has set up this petition on the Governments petition site, though whether its directly him pushing it or someone else is and just using him as a vehicle (sic) to push it because he seems to have the media on perma speed dial

and he's been pushing pr for it in the papers recently, had an article in the telegraph on Saturday on it, so the editors would no doubt claim it was a topic that deserved air time because its something "others" were talking about and pretend they couldnt ignore it, and he no doubt gave them a push heres this story, fill some time for you etc etc as well. Live Ive no doubt he'll be on GMB or This Morning sometime this week about it
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... an article in the telegraph on Saturday on it ....
SMIDSY :oops: Ours is already in the green bin so I'll have to dig it out, or not. I used to to listen to Radio 4 to be informed but that's long-gone.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

thirdcrank wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 10:25pm The sad thing IMO is that BBC programme producers know exactly what they are doing in pursuit of audience numbers.
Do they ? I'm an ex "every-day-Today-listener". Gave up a few years ago, the Lawson "climate debate" was one of the triggers. Nonsense like this isn't likely to tempt me back.

- Nigel
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm saying they are engaged in the imperative to maximise listener figures to the exclusion of everything else. The "Number-plates-for-cyclists" is an example of this. It's what I believe is now called a dogwhistle topic and it will attract the attention of those with fixed views, with interest on social media being the overriding measure.

To the extent that the subject attracts attention, then an appropriate approach from Radio 4 - presenting itself as the station for grown-ups - would be measured analysis including the civil rights implications; the administrative implications; the likely effect on numbers of cyclists; enforcement of traffic regulations (lack of); and even, what motivates people to demonise cyclists.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

I didn’t hear the programme as like many people I’m probably 2 or 3 decades too young to listen to radio 4!I’ve got the gist of what it was about from posts in this thread and firmly believe it won’t happen.Stupid idea.Unpolicable(is that even a word?) too easy to get around and one of the stupidest things I’ve heard in my reasonably short life.
The BBC is not the respected institution it once was.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Were I of a Jeremy Clarkson persuasion - there I go stereotyping again - I'd be quietly pleased that I'd got some cyclists worried to the extent of reassuring themselves it couldn't possibly happen.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 2:43am I didn’t hear the programme as like many people I’m probably 2 or 3 decades too young to listen to radio 4!
<snip>
Perhaps you should give it a try and form your own opinion?
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

mattheus wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 3:23pm
Maillot Rouge wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 2:43am I didn’t hear the programme as like many people I’m probably 2 or 3 decades too young to listen to radio 4!
<snip>
Perhaps you should give it a try and form your own opinion?
No thank you.
The Radio is for music when I’m driving or at work.
As I said maybe in 30 or so years I might want to listen to this sort of thing but not at this point.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO, the real pity with Radio 4 news is it used to be immeasurably better than television news as radio isn't in hock to the spectacular image. Occasionally, there's news that needs the images but that's quite rare. Sadly, radio news became a sort of by-product of the television news without the resources to do much in depth.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

'Intolerance is evidence of impotence'
Aleister Crowley

On another board is thread asking what CUK is doing for us. It was a fair comment given the fact that CUK was favouring over land travel vs air travel, but at the same time had removed themselves from supporting from a pressure group attempting to improve rail access across Europe.

However Mr Loophole is the reason I support CUK. At some point the proposals might be discussed by some more of the stupider politicians... at which point CUK will enter the conversation and simply point out how much cycling is worth to the UK economy and ask the politicians whether they want to risk this amount. There will then be a shuffling of feet and the idea will be quietly dropped.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I did hear the article. It was at the fag end of the 3 hour programme. The Today Prog often has such niche articles and so this wasn't out of the norm. Given how rarely bikes feature, I don't think that the paranoid need to worry too much. Personally, I don't think it devalues the program to have a few varied topics in what is usually a politically (very) heavy show.

The proposal wasn't for number plates for bikes, it was for numbered tabards that each cyclist would don. The other protagonist did a very mediocre job of arguing his case and in fact Nick Robinson seemed to make a better (anti) case. He declared an interest as a cyclist as well as a driver.

In Japan, every bike has to be registered and gets a small sticker. There are a lot more bikes in Japan than the UK.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think for a moment that this will happen but it's the effect of the idea being touted, especially if it gets the imprimatur of the country's finest legal brain.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

What worries me is that us cyclists may 'acquire' new regulations as a side effect of controlling electric scooters.

Already: helmets; insurance; registration; etc; etc are being mentioned/mooted for scooters. Once accepted that they need to be controlled it would be all too easy for this stuff to filter down to cyclists.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:26am What worries me is that us cyclists may 'acquire' new regulations as a side effect of controlling electric scooters.
Agreed.

Jonathan