Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

mattheus

Re: Today programme and reg. numbers for us.

Post by mattheus »

I guess we could give it a go ...

Looking at the stats, a lot of crime is commited by people neither driving NOR cycling; shall we roll-out the tabards to people in general?
(only if the cyclist pilot scheme is successful - OBVIOUSLY!)
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"A different world"

And one I would really, really, not want to have here.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:02am It has just been trailed that Radio 4's Today is going to discuss the above in the next hour.
I've written to More or Less asking if they'll cover it. And offering to help.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 3:58pm
Mike Sales wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 8:02am It has just been trailed that Radio 4's Today is going to discuss the above in the next hour.
I've written to More or Less asking if they'll cover it. And offering to help.

Jonathan
I have thought of suggesting they look into helmets.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I did suggest they look into the claims that shops lost trade due to the new Covid cycle lanes. I didn't get a reply and they didn't do the piece.

Good luck.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 3:46pm I believe the whole social system in Japan is different to the UK. Perhaps somebody with recent first-hand experience might comment.

Some years ago I saw a TV documentary which I believed was realistic. One thing it showed was a new family moving into a neighbourhood. They were visited by a pair of local policemen who took all their details and went on to make an inventory of all their possessions, including serial numbers and all the rest of it. This type of thing, of which there were other examples meant, for example that burglaries were virtually unknown, partly because anybody not registered with the local police found it hard moving around and if they did manage to steal something, they could neither keep it nor sell it. There was a sort of police kiosk on every corner, where people reported their coming and going. A different world.
Or you could have an App on your phone and be required to use it to register your presence wherever you are. But that would never happen, would it?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

TrevA wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:08pm
Or you could have an App on your phone and be required to use it to register your presence wherever you are. But that would never happen, would it?
I do understand what you are saying but it's not compulsory even to have a phone in the UK. And my post was in the context of the discussion of the Japanese system of registration of pedal cycles.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simonhill wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 11:26am What worries me is that us cyclists may 'acquire' new regulations as a side effect of controlling electric scooters.

Already: helmets; insurance; registration; etc; etc are being mentioned/mooted for scooters. Once accepted that they need to be controlled it would be all too easy for this stuff to filter down to cyclists.
It's perhaps only me being legalistic but electric scooters are already classed as mechanically propelled vehicles so any changes for their use look to be a reduction in the applicable regulations. If more regulation for cyclists were to be piggy-backed onto something else, then the obvious ... er ... legislative vehicle would be electric bikes and I've seen so sign of that coming.

I'd be pretty sure that any third party insurance requirement would depend on the insurance lobby which seems to have had successive governments by the short and curlies. Bearing in mind the apparent attraction of third party insurance to a lot of experienced riders, they might benefit from the right scheme. Whether it discouraged cycling more generally would be something for the government to ponder.

My approach to cycling tests and cyclist licences would be to say "Bring it on, and make passing a cycling test a pre-requisite for a provisional driving licence." It won't happen but it shuts up the loud mouths in the pub etc.

Thinking of all the largely failed schemes like post coding and chipping for preventing cycle theft - or at least identifying owners - a decent national scheme might have crime prevention benefits, but car thieves don't seem to be deterred.

Compulsory helmets and hi-viz are always going to be the easiest to introduce just on "common sense" grounds. (This isn't an attempt to get the thread binned, it's just a comment on how easy it would be to introduce.)

That only leaves tabards displaying a rider's name. John Smith would be untraceable, others a bit easier. The civil liberties / data protection implications of this would surely sink it and I'm surprised Nick Freeman apparently didn't touch on this loophole.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 9:42amThinking of all the largely failed schemes like post coding and chipping for preventing cycle theft - or at least identifying owners - a decent national scheme might have crime prevention benefits, but car thieves don't seem to be deterred.
Car theft has dropped dramatically (and that doesn't only rely on recorded crimes).
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ated-theft

Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 09.50.44.png
Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd not want to get sidetracked onto vehicle crime but I think it's more complicated than vehicle identification numbers (VINs) The fact that secondhand cars change hands for peanuts and anybody with the nerve to drive without insurance, MOT etc can expect to get away with it must have some effect. Put another way, if the authorities don't bother much about motor insurance, taxation, disqualified drivers and the like, more of the same for cyclists would be weird, if popular in some quarters.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Car security has evolved enormously. remember the interchangeable door keys of early Fords?

So I think that's a big factor.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I wouldn't mind riding around in a tabard with a reg number on the back.
But I cycle on a recumbent trike ....... :twisted:

Luck ........... :D
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 9:42am
My approach to cycling tests and cyclist licences would be to say "Bring it on, and make passing a cycling test a pre-requisite for a provisional driving licence." It won't happen but it shuts up the loud mouths in the pub etc.
That's brilliant! Getting a car license could be like that of an aircraft, you have to do 100 hours of cycling, of which 30 has to be in rain and 30 have to be in the dark, 200 hours of driving a powered two wheeler of which 60vhours have to be in the rain and a further 60 have to be in the dark - that would be brilliant :-)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I remember all sorts. One big contributor to the number of offences committed was the slot-in radio (eventually with cassette-player etc) t
There was time when stolen car radios seemed to become a unit of exchange in some quarters. There must have been more stolen radios in circulation than there were cars to fit them in. Dash boards with integral hi-fi (?) put a stop to that but may not have been fully reflected in crime figures because people decided reporting things like this was futile.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Er ........tabard? Vot ist tabbard? Ein tourist cycle from small village in European mainland. I take cycle trip in England. I no live here, ist not home only visit....Wut ist tabard?