Cycle camera submissions - Police up resourcing to deal ?

Stevek76

Re: Cycle camera submissions - Police up resourcing to deal ?

Post by Stevek76 »

I don't really see a problem with both. The limitation of patrolling is the same visibility that makes it useful. As the example of police cars on the motorway demonstrates, people slow to 72mph to get past the police car then are straight back to 90 when they've got a suitable distance away.

Acceptance of camera footage has the major plus of the threat that any other road user could be filming them (much like speed cameras would if they were allowed to be hidden like other countries)

I was under the impression Andy Cox was successfully using both when he was in charge of such matters in the met. He regularly used to report how speed/driving enforcement picked up not just traffic offences but seemed to be a fairly decent way of catching other crimes and wanted individuals. The met fairly much have the gold standard in terms of feedback for submissions with detailed info (including sentencing results) rather than just action/no action.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Much of what I've posted stems from what seems to be a misunderstanding of the nature of camera footage: in normal circumstances it corroborates the evidence of the cameraman and it can record things they may not have noted. The cameraman may not have to testify but they need to be ready to do so and the prosecution needs to know what their evidence would be, which in general means a written statement. This form of corroboration can be extremely powerful, but it is not a replacement for the evidence of the witness.

Then, assembling a decent case based on reports from members of the public is going to be more complicated than a reporting officer submitting their own report. (Cost-effectiveness.) Camera footage isn't always conclusive and one of the most obvious examples - to me - is the close pass / near miss situation, where the apparent distances may be greater than reality.

Prosecution policy has moved away from traffic offences, particularly bad driving that results in a crash. Having a film of somebody doing something that is outside prosecution policy isn't going to alter the policy. I regret that traffic policing is no longer a priority.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not on twitter and it's not yet on the NPCC website.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You can browse the linked images without having any presence on Twitter or using their app.

Jonathan

ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Thanks for doing that, I wasn’t sure how to embed the images.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Those are outlinks to the original JPEG images in the tweet. Where they exist I choose versions with suitable sizes... and matching!

: - )

Jonathan

PS: Does this site have any image manipulation tools?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps the first thing is that this is a resource for the OP or others in that situation.

Then this sounds a bit stronger than the recommendation in the report by the police inspectorate. I don't know what force NPCC recommendations carry in individual forces. (ACPO had the Wright Doctrine(?) whereby all chief officers agreed to follow agreed ACPO policies unless they stated in writing that they would not do so.) I don't know where the College of Policing fits in this.

I doubt if these guidelines will prevent dissatisfaction, even if followed to the letter. Admissible evidence is the same throughout the country. I can see real value in the CPS publishing guidelines on what they would want.
====================================
PS I forgot I intended to say:

I generally look for the side exits / escape hatches in anything like this. The nature of the link means I can't quote directly (and I'm too idle to copy type) but the last sentence about KSI is one to watch.