Default 20mph for Wales

Pete Owens

Re: Welsh Government launch consultation on reducing speed limits from 30mph to 20mph

Post by Pete Owens »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 10:38am So why don't they just get on with it?
I was wondering that myself. They made the decision to do this several years ago, but since then there seems to be endless prevarication, pilot studies, an election in which it featured as a manifesto commitment and now a consultation excercise.

The most likely explanation is that there is a behind the scenes rearguard action by opponents of reduced speed limits within the administration trying to sabotage or at least delay the implementation. While they cannot openly act in direct oposition to the government policy, they can attempt to dely and subvert the implementation.
pwa

Re: Welsh Government launch consultation on reducing speed limits from 30mph to 20mph

Post by pwa »

I think there is good reason for the Welsh Government to move cautiously and methodically with this. They know, and we know, that it will be controversial when the 20 limit paint starts to appear on tarmac in each and every neighbourhood at the same time, so it is wise to have all the studies in place to justify the changes. To do otherwise would simply give ammo to the opposition. So far, opposition has been muted. I live close to one of the pilots and opposition feels like a bit of muttering, nothing more. If we want to make progress, it is useful to keep it that way. And presumably the pilots will be used to draw up guidance for councils on where to implement the new 20 limits and where to make exceptions and retain a 30 limit.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 5:30am I think there is good reason for the Welsh Government to move cautiously and methodically with this. They know, and we know, that it will be controversial when the 20 limit paint starts to appear on tarmac in each and every neighbourhood at the same time, so it is wise to have all the studies in place to justify the changes. To do otherwise would simply give ammo to the opposition. So far, opposition has been muted. I live close to one of the pilots and opposition feels like a bit of muttering, nothing more. If we want to make progress, it is useful to keep it that way. And presumably the pilots will be used to draw up guidance for councils on where to implement the new 20 limits and where to make exceptions and retain a 30 limit.
That sounds right to me. It's a social democracy not a special interest group.

I hope that the pilots are openly and independently evaluated.

And that the communication is a lot better than it has been with LTNs in England.

Jonathan
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

pwa wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 5:30am I think there is good reason for the Welsh Government to move cautiously and methodically with this.
Only if you are resolutely opposed to apriate speed limits - and trying to delay the implementation.
They know, and we know, that it will be controversial when the 20 limit paint starts to appear on tarmac in each and every neighbourhood at the same time, so it is wise to have all the studies in place to justify the changes.
The studies have been in for a long time - the relation between speed and safety is welll established and entirely uncontroversial. Doing yet more small scale "pilot" schemes within the principalty as if there was nothing to learn from the rest of the world won't add a jot to the sum of human knowledge. However, there will certainly be statistical anomolies within the data and these are certain to br searched out and latched onto by opponents of 20mph-just as they have done with every other small scale pilot study over the past couple of decades.
To do otherwise would simply give ammo to the opposition.
This argument is absurd beyond belief.
If you surrender to the opposition then they don't need any ammo.
So far, opposition has been muted.
That is because low speed limits are overwhelmingly popular - whatever you might read in the righwing press.

When Warrington eventually (after a simarly long drawn out process of obstruction by officials) implemented bourough wide 20mph limits there was not a single objection to any of the traffic orders. The only complaints were from those living on streets that were missed out from the scheme.
I live close to one of the pilots and opposition feels like a bit of muttering, nothing more. If we want to make progress, it is useful to keep it that way. And presumably the pilots will be used to draw up guidance for councils on where to implement the new 20 limits and where to make exceptions and retain a 30 limit.
And that exactly describes the process of subverting the policy altogether.

An initial policy to set a national urban limit of 20 mph is downgraded to a set of guidelines to be implemented piecemeal by local authorities - ie exactly the situation that applies at the moment.

And without the officials openly admitting to obstructing the elected government.
Last edited by Pete Owens on 19 Jul 2021, 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 10:08am
pwa wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 5:30am I think there is good reason for the Welsh Government to move cautiously and methodically with this. They know, and we know, that it will be controversial when the 20 limit paint starts to appear on tarmac in each and every neighbourhood at the same time, so it is wise to have all the studies in place to justify the changes. To do otherwise would simply give ammo to the opposition. So far, opposition has been muted. I live close to one of the pilots and opposition feels like a bit of muttering, nothing more. If we want to make progress, it is useful to keep it that way. And presumably the pilots will be used to draw up guidance for councils on where to implement the new 20 limits and where to make exceptions and retain a 30 limit.
You seem to have trouble with the "democracy" bit of that sentence.

The Welsh people have decided through their elected representatives that they want to prohibit high speed traffic from their streets. Doubly so in this case since it is a commitment explicitly featuring in the party manifesto.

In a democracy, the role of officials is to implement that policy - not to endlessly prevaricate, seek to delay. limit, or overturn that decision. It is legitimate for them to work on practical details and timing of the implementation - how long will it take to change the road signs. But, obstructing the will of the government by endless delays, consultations and research is anti-democratic.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think I've already made my view clear on the way this has been (mis)handled. It's a pretty good case study of the way our pluralist democracy operates.

To express an interest, I have none.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pete Owens wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 4:58pm
Jdsk wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 10:08am
You seem to have trouble with the "democracy" bit of that sentence.

The Welsh people have decided through their elected representatives that they want to prohibit high speed traffic from their streets. Doubly so in this case since it is a commitment explicitly featuring in the party manifesto.

In a democracy, the role of officials is to implement that policy - not to endlessly prevaricate, seek to delay. limit, or overturn that decision. It is legitimate for them to work on practical details and timing of the implementation - how long will it take to change the road signs. But, obstructing the will of the government by endless delays, consultations and research is anti-democratic.
The bit in bold is an incorrect reading of what happened at the last General Election. It may have been in the manifesto but nobody was talking about it and nobody voted one way or the other because of it. People voted in line with their views on Boris, Brexit, Corbyn and a general feeling about Welsh Labour, with transport issues barely getting a look in. It would have been foolish for the Welsh Government to proceed with an excess of haste, missing out preparation that could make the end product better. And if you are so sceptical about their motivation, explain why they cancelled plans for the M4 Relief Road that the UK Government favours. They have gone so far as to remove planning constraints that have prevented the route of that planned new motorway being developed for other purposes. I suggest that Welsh Labour are acting like they believe motor traffic needs to be suppressed.

I don't know exactly what they hope to learn from the current pilot studies, but I hope it includes how to recognise roads that should or should not be exceptions to the default 20mph. And there should be exceptions. One road near the centre of Bridgend is a 30mph dual carriageway on which, if you weren't paying attention you might be wondering whether it is 30, 40 or 50, until you round the corner and see the pedestrian crossing. I'd suggest 30 is right, 20 is too slow and would undermine the whole regime with contempt. In the pilot area of St Brides Major about half the new 20 stretch on the main road makes good sense and feels right, with all the pedestrians, parked cars, poor sight lines and so forth. But the other half has far fewer homes, very few pedestrians, is straighter and free of parked cars, and 30 makes more sense. Maybe the study will bring that out and suggest useful ways of identifying where 20 is right and where it isn't, on Welsh roads. Ideally each highways authority will be given a tool kit to assist their decision making process.
pwa

Default 20mph for Wales

Post by pwa »

Here it comes! It looks as though the Welsh Government has decided in favour of a default 20mph on residential streets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427

As I have said before, I think the Devil will be in the detail. But if it results in truly residential streets having 10mph lopped off the current limit, good! The pilot scheme in the next village from us has brought the average speed down quite a bit. Maybe not to 20mph, but certainly below 30mph. And it feels better. I think the 20 limit goes on a few hundred metres too long there, but I don't think there is anything to stop the Local Authority fine tuning it.

And for anyone who prefers their news in Welsh:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/62125937

Some of us on this Forum live in Wales, but others live not far away and might choose to pop over the border and see how it is going when it gets off the ground.
Bmblbzzz

Re: Default 20mph for Wales

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Good move. As the report says, many places already have 20mph limits but this will be the first move to make it the default in built-up areas.

In other ways the report is (sadly predictably) disappointing though. Is it all built-up areas, as it says in the first paragraph, or just residential streets, as it implies at the end of the first section?

And then all the pro and anti 'balance'. But more than that, the concentration on safety and crash reduction. Yes, this is a big factor, but as someone who lives in a 20mph limit (which applies to main roads too, not just residential streets – but this isn't Wales) it's not the biggest factor. More beneficial is the ease of use; it's easier to cross the street, it's easier to cycle through junctions, it's easier even (to a very, very limited extent) to do other things with streets.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, a 20mph zone is simply vastly more pleasant for anyone who lives in it, or spends time in it outside their car, than one with a higher speed limit - the quality of life becomes better.

One thing I never quite understand is who the “drivers” are that object to 20mph. Possibly I can understand van drivers who are on stupidly low payments per parcel, because even tiny speed reductions slice their income (that model is responsible for a lot of the dangerous driving and parking that I see, of course), but HGV drivers are generally pretty cautious anyway, so that leaves cab drivers (see comments re parcel vans), and private motorists. Do the private motorists not live anywhere, or have no empathy with those who live adjacent to roads? (I think I might know the answer to that). Or, is it that journos angle the questions: “Does this add to your journey time? Does this add to congestion?” That sort of thing, rather than ask open/neutral questions.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Delivery drivers will have to be given more time to get to addresses. Hopefully their bosses will be quick to take the new limits onboard when drawing up schedules.

As for drivers passing though neighbourhoods other than their own, I think we will just get used to the lower limits. It may seem like a drag at first but after a while most people will see the benefits and accept the direction we are going in.

A couple of years ago sections of the M4 motorway in Wales had the limit reduced from 70 to 50 to improve local air quality. At first there was resistance and grumbling, but now it seems to be just accepted. And the air quality has improved.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 8:21am Here it comes! It looks as though the Welsh Government has decided in favour of a default 20mph on residential streets.

As I have said before, I think the Devil will be in the detail. But if it results in truly residential streets having 10mph lopped off the current limit, good! The pilot scheme in the next village from us has brought the average speed down quite a bit. Maybe not to 20mph, but certainly below 30mph. And it feels better. I think the 20 limit goes on a few hundred metres too long there, but I don't think there is anything to stop the Local Authority fine tuning it....
Thanks for posting.

Any thoughts about how the Welsh Government was able to achieve this... the political and democratic processes?

Thanks

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 11:29am
pwa wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 8:21am Here it comes! It looks as though the Welsh Government has decided in favour of a default 20mph on residential streets.

As I have said before, I think the Devil will be in the detail. But if it results in truly residential streets having 10mph lopped off the current limit, good! The pilot scheme in the next village from us has brought the average speed down quite a bit. Maybe not to 20mph, but certainly below 30mph. And it feels better. I think the 20 limit goes on a few hundred metres too long there, but I don't think there is anything to stop the Local Authority fine tuning it....
Thanks for posting.

Any thoughts about how the Welsh Government was able to achieve this... the political and democratic processes?

Thanks

Jonathan
No, other than that we have a Labour government with an agenda shaped by a desire for more social justice and placing the good of society above individual freedom, where there is a conflict between the two. "Community" is a powerful theme in Welsh politics.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Heard on R4 this afternoon, there was a lady complaining that cyclists were overtaking the cars! :D

Often done that down Gunnislake Hill. 30mph limit, but most drivers go down at 40mph+. I've whizzed past the "slower" ones quite often.
Mick F. Cornwall