Radio show on Hi-Vis.

Oldjohnw

Re: Radio show on Hi-Vis.

Post by Oldjohnw »

The government wants to have some description emblazoned across the jacket. Last time it was 'Community Service'.

Johnson and Patel love jackets with labels. Wherever he goes he gets a jacket with the words 'Prime Minister' , whether it's a RAF jacket, a flak jacket or one from the Nissan factory.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 11:17am The government wants to have some description emblazoned across the jacket. Last time it was 'Community Service'.

Johnson and Patel love jackets with labels. Wherever he goes he gets a jacket with the words 'Prime Minister' , whether it's a RAF jacket, a flak jacket or one from the Nissan factory.
But not on his bike!
Perhaps he should wear hiviz with Prime Minister on the back when he cycles? Or would that make him an easy target?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I would like to see him wearing one saying "petty thief".
John
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

I was alarmed at the prospect of British Bovine(excrement) Corporation using this topic to project their opinions in order to compel us to wear Hi-viz etc.
Does BBC support cycling or do any producers consider any public interest in cycling ?
Apparently not.
When wimpledom fortnight clashed with Tour there was often 10 hours , yes TEN hours of tennis/day but not even 10 seconds of Tour time.

I have a vested interest.

September 2019 I sat through 3 day trial Crown vs Aidan Tait.
Google Fred Heppel .
First part of defence was -cyclist was wearing dark clothing and without a helmet!!!

We need to be very vigilant that "protective legislation" to make electric scooters SAFER? is not, via back door, imposed on us.

Yes, guilty of "off topic" but that is why I needed to hear what anti-beeb had to say that day.

Rant over.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

lescargo wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 6:19pm I was alarmed at the prospect of British Bovine(excrement) Corporation using this topic to project their opinions in order to compel us to wear Hi-viz etc.

Yes, guilty of "off topic" but that is why I needed to hear what anti-beeb had to say that day.

Rant over.
Do you think the BBC bore out your fears?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

lescargo wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 6:19pm I have a vested interest.
I give it three posts...

: - )

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

lescargo wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 6:19pm I was alarmed at the prospect of British Bovine(excrement) Corporation using this topic to project their opinions in order to compel us to wear Hi-viz etc.

Rant over.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mike Sales wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 6:47pm
lescargo wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 6:19pm I was alarmed at the prospect of British Bullshit Corporation using this topic to project their opinions in order to compel us to wear Hi-viz etc.

Rant over.
Poster is up at the top of the grandstand and may not be able to hear you, I fear.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Mike Sales wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 12:41pmThe programme was not about how visible hiviz is, or whether that might cut down RTCs.
It was about the social meaning of hiviz.
Thanks. Finally found time to listen. That was fun. Though I'm still not sure that I know what the social meaning of it is...
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

First thank you Mike Sales; without your mentioning this programme I would not have known and missed it.

I consider your summary of content/theme was spot on.
I think Cycling /cyclists first mentioned after 23? minutes; without directive for/against.

Replying to your question the programme did not bear out my justified fears that it would be used against our interests.

Bonefishblues-"poster is at the top of the grandstand and might not be able to hear you?"
Your fine phrases "fell upon stony ground".
Is this expression a euphemism for something where you are afraid to call a spade a spade?
I have looked in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable; it does not appear there?
Please come down to my level to explain what you mean by your silly sentence.
Do be careful not to catch foot in the stirrups!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

lescargo wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 12:57am First thank you Mike Sales; without your mentioning this programme I would not have known and missed it.

I consider your summary of content/theme was spot on.
I think Cycling /cyclists first mentioned after 23? minutes; without directive for/against.

Replying to your question the programme did not bear out my justified fears that it would be used against our interests.

Bonefishblues-"poster is at the top of the grandstand and might not be able to hear you?"
Your fine phrases "fell upon stony ground".
Is this expression a euphemism for something where you are afraid to call a spade a spade?
I have looked in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable; it does not appear there?
Please come down to my level to explain what you mean by your silly sentence.
Do be careful not to catch foot in the stirrups!
Afraid eh :D I think you well understood what I was saying.

Start a different thread if you want to grandstand about something, especially when you had plainly not had the courtesy to listen to the programme. You stated your fears were justified. No they weren't in any way, as, of course you would have known.

Hope clear enough not to require you to consult a dictionary.

Oh and by the way, using such phrases about the BBC and then states that someone else uses a 'silly sentence' doesn't really enhance the credibility of the point you fail to make.

Plain enough?
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

Has anyone noticed how the anti hi-viz, anti-helmet brigade have begun to sound sound increasingly like anti-vaccine loons?

You can just see Piers Corbyn and David Icke ranting away about it, can’t you?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Labrat wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 8:05pm Has anyone noticed how the anti hi-viz, anti-helmet brigade have begun to sound sound increasingly like anti-vaccine loons?

You are an exceptionally brave person! :D
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Labrat wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 8:05pm Has anyone noticed how the anti hi-viz, anti-helmet brigade have begun to sound sound increasingly like anti-vaccine loons?

Please let's stick to discussing the evidence and our individual choices.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 5 Aug 2021, 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Labrat wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 8:27pm
Mike Sales wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 8:22pm those who believe that helmets are very little use, are those who follow the evidence,
*Exactly* what the anti-mask/vaccine nutters claim
They may, but they are not backed up by an editorial in the British Medical Journal by a scientist who is accepted by government and media as somebody whose expertise on Covid precautions is authoritive.
Read the editorial I linked to, please.