Who should be a Lorry Driver?

PaulS

Who should be a Lorry Driver?

Post by PaulS »

The government has acknowledged a shortage of lorry drivers. But this proposal will only make the roads a more dangerous place for cycling. Lorries are dangerous.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng announced :

"funding of up to £7,000 per apprenticeship from August for people training to be a lorry driver, while there was also grant funding to train military service leavers, ex-offenders and the long-term unemployed to move into lorry driving."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58364308
Mike Sales

Re: Who should be a Lorry Driver?

Post by Mike Sales »

Should not driving HGVs be subject to the same sort of regime as flying airliners?
Drivers should have extensive training, with simulators, medicals, black boxes and inquiries when things go wrong.
We need a much closer regime of inspection and maintenance of the machine. Random checks usually find many faults, even in critical areas like braking.
Lorries don't kill as many at one go as planes, but they operate in much closer and more critical proximity to many more people, and in total kill rather more.
They are the most dangerous and intimidating vehicles on our roads.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

How will increasing the number of lorry drivers make roads more dangerous for cycling? It won't increase the total demand for lorry journeys. By making more drivers available to meet the demand, it will reduce the temptation for drivers, employers and government to increase driving hours. Tired drivers are not safe drivers (of any vehicle). It is safer to have more drivers driving fewer hours per day than fewer drivers driving longer hours per day. It is also better for drivers' health. And while experience is also a safety factor, so is training; therefore it can be argued that recently trained drivers might be safer, particularly in aspects that probably received less attention in the past, which probably includes cyclists and pedestrians.

Or is the idea that military service leavers, ex-offenders and the long-term unemployed will make dangerous lorry drivers because they have been in military service, offenders or unemployed? In which case, what sorts of people should be trained as lorry drivers?

There are various reasons to be sceptical of this scheme but I don't think safety is one of them.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Who should be a Lorry Driver? Anyone who is happy to be one and who also has the necessity skill, temperament and physical capabilities to complete the job. It won’t be something that everyone can do but it also isn’t the most demanding job in the world. Don’t import drivers from elsewhere but rather balance employment within the folk that live here and if that means paying more to drivers then do so. We should be valuing people who do boring jobs, accepting that less intellectual jobs have value to society and not continually seeking for everyone to have degrees.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Why shouldn't someone with a degree work as an HGV driver?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 9:31pmAnd while experience is also a safety factor, so is training; therefore it can be argued that recently trained drivers might be safer, particularly in aspects that probably received less attention in the past, which probably includes cyclists and pedestrians.
This is a very interesting point. For any safety-critical job I'd like to see much more checking and evaluation for as long as they're doing it. We have a tendency to put a lot of effort into stringent testing on entry but not so much into ongoing review,

Jonathan
Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

We have a few Lorry drivers in my cycling group and they are very much pro cycling and very experienced drivers. Personally I think everyone learning to drive should be on a cycling awareness course as part of the test not just singling out Lorry drivers.
And nobody should be driving on our roads for a living if they can't read our road signs.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 10:18pm Why shouldn't someone with a degree work as an HGV driver?
Indeed, when i left higher education many moons ago, I worked in an area very specific to my degree course (developing computer mapping applications at an oil company).
Now I drive trains.
Both paid the mortgage and provided various ups and downs along the way.
I enjoyed my degree then (geog) and I love what it's given me now. It's a way of life!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pendodave wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 9:25am
Jdsk wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 10:18pm Why shouldn't someone with a degree work as an HGV driver?
Indeed, when i left higher education many moons ago, I worked in an area very specific to my degree course (developing computer mapping applications at an oil company).
Now I drive trains.
Both paid the mortgage and provided various ups and downs along the way.
I enjoyed my degree then (geog) and I love what it's given me now. It's a way of life!
That's great to hear.

Training for a particular job is not the only purpose of higher education!

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have a PhD friend who is a wood carver and another with a Science Master’s who is a baker.

Education is a benefit in its own right.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Tony Blair

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mike Sales wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 8:07pm
Hmm, have to admit I've hardly ever had an issue with HGV's whilst on the road. Quite notable that the drivers on a virtually universal basis, always stay well back when they can't overtake, prior to pulling well over to the other side of the road whilst overtaking. Particularly notable this summer whilst I've been using a A Road as part of a high speed exercise route.

And to be fair, I always ensure that I assist them in overtaking when possible, pulling over, or off the road (Nb. Had a decent response from the builders merchants HGV earlier this year, who handed over a box of maintenance type gloves FOC when serving behind the counter one day!)
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Doesn't sound that attractive a career to me, esp. at £10/hr :(
"42"
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gbnz wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 11:31am
Mike Sales wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 8:07pm
Hmm, have to admit I've hardly ever had an issue with HGV's whilst on the road. ...
I have had issues with domestic oil delivery tankers - I suspect in part as at speed they create far worse air turbulence than many other vehicles. Which to me highlights the need for cycle awareness training as part of any drivers license as there is more to understand than "don't hit ...".

As raised above
Bullseye wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 10:57pm...Personally I think everyone learning to drive should be on a cycling awareness course as part of the test not just singling out Lorry drivers....
Ian