A caution - really?

biketips666

A caution - really?

Post by biketips666 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england- ... e-58558802

In what way is this not assault?

I believe that a "proper" caution does form part of a criminal record, or something, so hopefully not as trivial a punishment as it might appear. But really, Wiltshire police (or CPS), was it not worth putting this before the courts?
Jdsk

Re: A caution - really?

Post by Jdsk »

Do we know what happened apart from that article? And especially the wording of the caution?

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

The law is an ass.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:12pm Do we know what happened apart from that article? And especially the wording of the caution?

Jonathan
Account (with video) here: https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... ge-attack/ and some sadly predictable comments.

The victim is reportedly considering appealing against the police's decision.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Can anyone find anything from the police?

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've been discussing it elsewhere but haven't seen any TVP comments
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 1:35pm Thanks

Can anyone find anything from the police?

Jonathan
From Dave Reading's link
A Wiltshire Police spokesman said: “In line with national policy, in cases of common assault with no injury, where the offender is identified and fully admits the offence, then an adult caution is deemed a suitable outcome.

“We are committed to providing a high level of service for all victims of crime. If any victim is dissatisfied with the service they have received then they can make a formal complaint via the Office for the Police and Crime Commissioner.”
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

Effect of a caution, if the caution the driver accepted was the same as being discussed in this article:

https://www.richardnelsonllp.co.uk/serv ... -cautions/

So it may have an effect on his life, depending what his work is. And might make him exercise a bit of self control in future.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

So the driver passed the cyclsts and then slowed down? If that's right it doesn't make any sense for the driver.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Watch the - edited - vid linked in the linked BBC news item.
pwa

Post by pwa »

biketips666 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 2:50pm Effect of a caution, if the caution the driver accepted was the same as being discussed in this article:

So it may have an effect on his life, depending what his work is. And might make him exercise a bit of self control in future.
It will depend on the individual. If they have had no brushes with the law up to this point it could be a shock to be on the receiving end of a caution, and they may have a rethink about anger management issues and their attitude to others. But if they are in trouble all the time they will see this as no punishment.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The BBC video shows the car passing, but then the cyclists overtaking the car.

And the Swindon Advertiser "After being held up for a minute or so, the driver overtook them and began arguing with them as they passed him"

It's unclear to me. How did the cyclists catch up with him?
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

pwa wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 7:09am
biketips666 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 2:50pm Effect of a caution, if the caution the driver accepted was the same as being discussed in this article:

It will depend on the individual. If they have had no brushes with the law up to this point it could be a shock to be on the receiving end of a caution, and they may have a rethink about anger management issues and their attitude to others. But if they are in trouble all the time they will see this as no punishment.
"Ady sent the footage of the incident to the police and was later told the driver had admitted what he did, said he’d overreacted and expressed remorse. "
Swindon Advertiser.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

MikeF wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 8:53am The BBC video shows the car passing, but then the cyclists overtaking the car.

And the Swindon Advertiser "After being held up for a minute or so, the driver overtook them and began arguing with them as they passed him"

The driver passed the cyclists, then 'brake-tested' them, whereupon some swerved round him, and in the case of the camera bike, then fell in front of the driver's car as he rolled towards her. One of the riders is a close friend of a poster on another forum I read.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Bonefishblues wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 9:15am
MikeF wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 8:53am The BBC video shows the car passing, but then the cyclists overtaking the car.

The driver passed the cyclists, then 'brake-tested' them, whereupon some swerved round him, and in the case of the camera bike, then fell in front of the driver's car as he rolled towards her. One of the riders is a close friend of a poster on another forum I read.
Ah. That makes more sense. The driver obviously wasn't in a hurry anyway if he had time to do that. :roll: :roll:
I don't peddle bikes.