Warringtons solution to abussive aggressive drivers

thirdcrank

Re: Warringtons solution to abussive aggressive drivers

Post by thirdcrank »

As night follows day, once the limit is increased to 40 mph, a significant number of drivers will be exceeding that and continuing to be aggressive and abusive to those observing the limit or - horror of horrors - driving below the posted limit when a lower speed is appropriate.

Thinks: we did have a thread quite recently where it was suggested that a signed variation from the national limits indicated that consideration had been given to the correct limit and here we seem to have an example of that consideration.

NB The name Craven District Council is already taken

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS Another thing here is the split of responsibilities between the traffic authority and police. Warrington council should have the power to install speed detection cameras and enforce offences they detect.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Agreed - you could set the speed limit to 100mph and some folk would still want to do 110. :roll:
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

I'm formulating an objection to the order.
Does any one know what the precise current official guidance is on what provision is needed for vulnerable road users (both pedestrians & cyclists) in order for an urban road to have a higher speed limit?

To put it into context - this is a major new-town distributor road with no housing on either side. When it was originally planned I guess it will have had a design speed of 40mph (thinking exclusevely in terms of motors). The carriageway is straight, but not wide enough to overtake cyclists safely with oncoming traffic. The pavement is narrow and immideately adjacent to the carriageway:
[url]https://www..com/maps/@53.4137164,-2.6030908,3a,57.6y,261.32h,87.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbZLMiaiPBpRFLRVamqLrog!2e0!7i16384!8i8192[/url]
The landscaping gives drivers the misleading impression that they are driving on a rural road.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

I'm formulating an objection to the order.
Does any one know what the precise current official guidance is on what provision is needed for vulnerable road users (both pedestrians & cyclists) in order for an urban road to have a higher speed limit?

To put it into context - this is a major new-town distributor road with no housing on either side. When it was originally planned I guess it will have had a design speed of 40mph (thinking exclusevely in terms of motors). The carriageway is straight, but not wide enough to overtake cyclists safely with oncoming traffic. The pavement is narrow and immideately adjacent to the carriageway:
https://goo.gl/maps/yi8qp2K2zLZHYJ4XA
The landscaping gives drivers the misleading impression that they are driving on a rural road.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The 30mph limit is not "very emphatic" so I'm not surprised by drivers ignoring the speed limit. The speed limit on a main road near me was reduced from 40 mph to 30mph. There are flashing speed limit signs all along the stretch. That hasn't meant that all drivers travel lower than 30mph, but I would estimate the majority travel at less than 40mph. However with just one vehicle travelling at about the speed limit, the rest follow at that speed. With the previous limit with just repeaters, but not with flashing signs, many were travelling 40-50mph.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It is an astonishing rationale, I must say.
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

Pete Owens wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:40pm I'm formulating an objection to the order.

https://goo.gl/maps/yi8qp2K2zLZHYJ4XA
Pretty sure you'll already be aware of this, but the official guidance is

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eed-limits