John
mumbojumbo

Re: Don’t squander gains, says Labour

Post by mumbojumbo »

Agreed.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My council (Southend) have already buried it.

At the time I enquired what they were going to do as lots of money was being offered by Central Govt. I was told they were drawing up plans, etc. Now all quietly buried.

The bottom line is that it is too controversial. People don't want cycle lanes outside their houses because they will loose parking. Parking is the most important thing in my town. It's seen as a vote winner or loser. Never upset the drivers.

I've given up even asking, it's too frustrating.

Local politicians' green credentials are shown by supporting electric cars - they are the solution to all the problems.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 7:57am People don't want cycle lanes outside their houses because they will loose parking. Parking is the most important thing in my town. It's seen as a vote winner or loser. Never upset the drivers.

I've given up even asking, it's too frustrating.

Local politicians' green credentials are shown by supporting electric cars - they are the solution to all the problems.
Why will they lose parking? Just put it between the cycle lane and carriageway, with appropriate buffer.

Isn't parking more important because district councils collect the money from it, both fees and penalties?

It's easy to show electric cars aren't the solution in most towns: there simply isn't enough space for every commuter to have a 4m x 2m vehicle and 12m stopping distance unless you flatten half the town's surface area.

Please keep asking, else they may think cycling has gone away.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 8:54am It's easy to show electric cars aren't the solution in most towns: there simply isn't enough space for every commuter to have a 4m x 2m vehicle and 12m stopping distance unless you flatten half the town's surface area.
There isn't. But how do you get that message across to the commuters? After all, not every single commuter has their own petrol/diesel car, so "we're talking about swapping polluting cars for clean ones". I don't think we'll convince the councils unless we convince their electors. More chance of convincing the ministers TBH, they at least have some powers.

Meanwhile car manufacturers are using COP26 to ask for subsidies on a global scale to switch to EVs.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

simonhill wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 7:57am The bottom line is that it is too controversial. People don't want cycle lanes outside their houses because they will loose parking. Parking is the most important thing in my town. It's seen as a vote winner or loser. Never upset the drivers.
Excellent news.
Warrington's enthusiasm for segregation shows no sign of abating, however hard we cyclists campaign against it. Maybe the trick is to get the motorists on our side by somehow persuading them that they really really don't want to clear us off the streets.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Pete Owens wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 4:01pm
simonhill wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 7:57am The bottom line is that it is too controversial. People don't want cycle lanes outside their houses because they will loose parking. Parking is the most important thing in my town. It's seen as a vote winner or loser. Never upset the drivers.
Excellent news.
Warrington's enthusiasm for segregation shows no sign of abating, however hard we cyclists campaign against it. Maybe the trick is to get the motorists on our side by somehow persuading them that they really really don't want to clear us off the streets.
You won't like Holland! :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeF wrote: 12 Nov 2021, 9:41am
Pete Owens wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 4:01pm Warrington's enthusiasm for segregation shows no sign of abating, however hard we cyclists campaign against it. Maybe the trick is to get the motorists on our side by somehow persuading them that they really really don't want to clear us off the streets.
You won't like Holland! :lol:
Ah, but Warrington's approach does seem generally segregationalist (get orf my roads) whereas the Netherlands approach is generally infrastructuralist (encourage cycling by making it easy).

I do have some sympathy for Pete Owens's dislike of what's near him because if I pick any point in Warrington and look at Streetview or Streetscape and then find the nearest signed cycling stuff and it's usually some rubbish like https://showmystreet.com/#vsd4r_-1jmk0_6z.k_-4g43 where you have a crap narrow advisory cycle lane painted in the gutter which just stops in a completely random place before the next junction, right next to a Cycleway Resembling A Pavement which has skid hazard tramline tiles and no/vague signs at the next junction along with two-stage slalom toucan crossings with "Cyclists Dismount" signs.

Try it for yourself. Can anyone find anything in Warrington Borough which would be built under current Netherlands rules. Or even that follows current UK guidance (LTN 1/20)?

I know it doesn't have to be like that, but that's where Pete Owens and I disagree.

So, an area of utter rubbish dangerous "dual network" nonsense that probably cost more in total than doing it right once. It is truly squandering any cycling gains and that's a Labour unitary council, so maybe Labour should sort themselves out as well as trying to nudge the Conservatives running gov.uk?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

That ^^ "pavement" says "Get off your feet!"