16 year-old girl cycling from Newton Abbot to COP26

Stradageek

Re: 16 year-old girl cycling from Newton Abbot to COP26

Post by Stradageek »

bjlabuk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 10:01am I certainly don't want to turn a cycling forum into a political debate, but Kettling is legal and the police can lawfully impose a kettle if they believe it is necessary to prevent disorder or protect public safety. See https://netpol.org/guide-to-kettles/.
Yes there seems to be some discontent about having too much politics on the forum. The 'kettling' comment came from knowing people who have been corralled without food, water and toilets for up to 7hrs just because the police thought they 'might' cause trouble.

I guess I possibly read too much about the gradual erosion of peoples rights in countries right around the globe. I just don't want the UK to be added to the list
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

Stradageek wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:16am In addition I feel that any protests, peaceful or otherwise, are under serious threat. Protests being curtailed by 'kettling' or banned for being 'noisy' (new Criminal Justice bill) smacks of a government resorting to more and more force to counter the increasing inequalities and discontent in society arising from current and past government policies.
I believe that in this cases such as those you highlight here they should "fight the power".

I am not making a joke. If a state is malevolent and curtails civic rights in an arbitrary manner, or even in a legal manner, where law has been subverted by the state's own malevolence, one would be both justified and reasonable in expressing displeasure using violent means.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Good on her - I wish my two were so public spirited, they seem to prefer sitting in front of screens all day long :D
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

The rail strike has been called off;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59071375

The bus drivers and refuse collection strikes are still on. The cities leisure facilities are still shut to allow the staff to be redeployed into the UN zone.

The accommodation problem is still bad, there are still some offers of help on here;
https://cop26coalition.org/coming-to-co ... y-network/

Extinction event souvenir T-shirt;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkTl5WOdjY
Agitate, educate, organise.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Going off track a bit but i wonder what the crime levels in other areas are doing. A club mate/ police sergeant is one of several local bobbies bussed up there to add to the polucing. A national situation he tells me and locally the dire policing rates are now even lower.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jessie arrived at Moffat
Jessie arrived at Moffat
I guided Jessie and her entourage to Moffat this afternoon. A pleasure to meet.
Cycling back home when I got views of the Mway I counted at least 30 marked police vehicles and as many unmarked personnel carriers heading North.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Amuses me at how (young) a 16 year old is considered nowadays and also comments about Greta at nearly 19.

Nowadays it seems they are kids till 18 when many move from being taxied by parents to driving themselves.

It wasn't that long ago people left school at 15 and by 18 were considered adults (apart from voting). Only a minority stayed on for A levels.

Good on this young lady for doing this, but at 14, I hitch hiked home (Essex) from climbing in Cornwall, sailed the Channel with young skipper and at 18 my pre degree hitch hike round Europe solo with no mobile phone of course.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

simonhill wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 9:18pmGood on this young lady for doing this, but at 14, I hitch hiked home (Essex) from climbing in Cornwall, sailed the Channel with young skipper and at 18 my pre degree hitch hike round Europe solo with no mobile phone of course.
If you're looking at this as a contest, you need to compare like with like. The contest wouldn't be based around how many miles you managed to cycle or sail during your summer holidays, but how much time/effort you'd put into a cause you considered important to humanity.

I doubt they'll be looking at this as a contest though. I suspect they'll see this as their small contribution to publicising a disaster which the world's electorates steadfastly pretend isn't happening.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Ages change. In the early 19th century the average life expectancy of a working class man in Manchester was 17. In that context, 16 really was grown up.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Paulatic wrote: 29 Oct 2021, 7:07pm A pleasure to meet.
I'm sure it was, and the one with the biggest smile is the one with the biggest load! :)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wasn't looking at it as a contest Devon, but as I said, it is the way age is considered now. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who were far more adventurous than I was and got on their bikes at 14 or 15 and rode off without anyone having any great concern. Now it would be called child abuse or neglect. It was just a comment on the way "16" or whatever has been highlighted.

This young lady can only do what she can do and as I said, good on her.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

bjlabuk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 10:01am I certainly don't want to turn a cycling forum into a political debate, but Kettling is legal and the police can lawfully impose a kettle if they believe it is necessary to prevent disorder or protect public safety. See https://netpol.org/guide-to-kettles/.
Legal doesn't make it right.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Vorpal wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 3:03am
Exactly!
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Point of order.

The link that bjlabuk kindly supplied is about English law, mainly the doings of the notorious Metropolitan Police. Scotland is not in England. Scotland is policed by An Poileas under Scots law. The main COP26 district has been fenced off and declared international territory and is being policed by armed UN security police.

Cop26 is a Westminster Government operation, with local public servants having to react to remote control instructions. The Polis have been overwhelmed with the task and have had to bus in English cops as reinforcements. The last time that happened was the Gleneagles G8 conference in 2005. In 2005 there were occasions where the English cops misunderstood the law. The only major fighting took place in Edinburgh's Princes Street when the Met's riot squad attacked some demonstrators. In 2005 only one cop need hospital treatment, having been accidentally run down by a cyclist. That cyclist was George W Bush.

In Glasgow in recent years a major threat has been an attack on peaceful demonstrators by local violent recreational rioters. You can see here a report of a recent incident.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/185 ... e-protest/
Agitate, educate, organise.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Stradageek wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 8:50am
Vorpal wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 3:03am
Exactly!
I've actually been 'kettled', it was about 7 years ago at demo which culminated in protest outside the BBC. Its a horrible experience, we had to pee where we stood (women and children too) in a freezing cold day with no access to food or drink, all in we were corralled for about 6 hours, and even if its legal, it should be outlawed.