Dartmoor Cycling ban

ChrisButch

Dartmoor Cycling ban

Post by ChrisButch »

Anybody who gets the regular CUK e-newsletter will be aware of this, but for those who dont -
20+ years ago Dartmoor National Park suddenly imposed a blanket ban on cycling anywhere on the Moor except registered Public Bridleways (of which there are few, and a high proportion of those are only lines on the map, and no longer exist on the ground). This ban survived the subsequent CROW Act, which significantly liberalised countryside access.
The National Park is now revising all its byelaws, in the light of significant recent mass tourism issues (fires, abandoned barbecues, pop-up tents, littering etc). The proposed changes keep the cycling ban intact - cycling is even lumped together in the same byelaw with all forms of motorised vehicles, despite the apparent absence of any considered evaluation of the impact. Public consultation on this ends very soon - November 1st. CUK has submitted a comprehensive objection, but as always with these things the number of public responses counts.
Full background at https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/dartmoor ... ng-cycling
Bmblbzzz

Re: Dartmoor Cycling ban

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Seeing the restrictions they're trying to bring in regarding hiking, it would be remarkable if there were any liberalisation of cycling.
Sue60N

Post by Sue60N »

A bit of a sad situation- so glad I live in Scotland with our wonderful ‘right to roam’ access rights.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Dartmoor train line is back after 50 years – here’s what to do and see along the route"
"Later this month the line will deliver walkers, cyclists and wild campers to the northern edge of the national park."

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021 ... ld-campers

Jonathan
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

And now...
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... ns-6175961
"Dartmoor cycle hub and cafe plans for historic site refused...
The plans for the Grade II listed site were rejected on grounds it would have a detrimental impact on the National Park"
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

There is a difference in approach and purpose between national parks in the UK and those in most other countries, including the USA.
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

six or two threes?
I am not sure that unlimited access is a good idea. Damage could be substantial. Here in the Forest of Dean it is excessive beyond belief as the whole world knows that Forestry England cannot do a damn thing about it.
I am also dubious about the whole idea of unlimited acces for another reason. Why be so selfish? Modern trend I guess and I know I am outvoted.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

mattsccm wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 3:22pm six or two threes?
I am not sure that unlimited access is a good idea. Damage could be substantial. Here in the Forest of Dean it is excessive beyond belief as the whole world knows that Forestry England cannot do a damn thing about it.
I am also dubious about the whole idea of unlimited acces for another reason. Why be so selfish? Modern trend I guess and I know I am outvoted.

I am inclined to agree on the broad principle of unlimited access

However the issue here (Dartmoor) is that we are discussing areas where there is unlimited open access for horses and walkers, although the evidence points towards overall impacts being similar (if anything impact of horses much greater)

so sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander… in absence of clear evidence justifying differential treatment, you can’t justify such widespread restrictions on only one user group, particularly in a National Park, where the statutory purposes are to promote recreational use (as a form of enjoyment) unless irreconcilable conflict can be demonstrated

(I would note that the planning decision linked to above appears to have ignored this too)
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

mattsccm wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 3:22pm I am not sure that unlimited access is a good idea.
It's not about unlimited access, if you read the article in the OP's post. I too am very much against unlmited access, but there are several longish wide tracks on Dartmoor which are already used by vehicles (park rangers, military, farmers...) which are good for cycling but not marked as bridleways.
Chris F, Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Wilhelmus wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 1:27pm I always thought national parks were supposed to enrich people's lives, not be an opportunity further to oppress them with petty rules and regulations. You can even get sent to jail in America for failing to give right of way to a bear.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... man-jailed
I suspect if you don't give way to a bear it might end up with a free lunch - you!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 9:12am "Dartmoor train line is back after 50 years – here’s what to do and see along the route"
"Later this month the line will deliver walkers, cyclists and wild campers to the northern edge of the national park."

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021 ... ld-campers

Jonathan
Yay! And currently no booking required for bikes!

(although that may change if/when they get overwhelmed ... likely not before Spring 2022 ... )
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Wilhelmus wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 1:27pm I always thought national parks were supposed to enrich people's lives, not be an opportunity further to oppress them with petty rules and regulations. You can even get sent to jail in America for failing to give right of way to a bear.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... man-jailed
"further oppress them"? I don't think so. Just different rules required. (and the right of way rule seems to be a fiction)

You can forget about speeding tickets, library fines, and your taxes while roaming in Grizzly country. But you do need to follow some additional rules that apply when mankind get mixed-up with nature.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Give right of way to a bear? You have to stop looking at things from one point of view. This puts an onus on the road user to protect the wildlife and area in which they travel. Not such a bad idea. Taken out if context, I agree it looks silly. Anyway back to Dartmoor.

I didn’t think that anywhere in England allowed bicycle access on open access land so Dartmoor isn’t alone in this. However, Dartmoor appears to be one of the most anti everything NPs. No drones, no overnight stays in camper vans, no dogs off leads blah blah blah. (I have no drone, van or dog so no personal axe to grind on those issues)

There are already enough laws governing use of the countryside - Dartmoor just needs to have them enforced on those it really needs to target. This isn’t the leisure cyclist or the regular camper van owner etc. it is just the idiots that damage the area with regard for it or other people.

They should open more off road routes to encourage participation over a wider area rather than force people on to routes creating overuse erosion. Instead they treat the place like a blooming museum. Don’t touch the exhibit!