Do You Feel the Need for Public Art, such as sculptures on

meic

Re: Do You Feel the Need for Public Art, such as sculptures on

Post by meic »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Your first sentence is key: "Art has many facets forms and meanings,not always pleasant or appreciative." Disliking art is a form or way of appreciating it as opposed to remaining oblivious. The art works which are the most loved are likely to also be the most hated precisely because they arouse strong feelings. And vice versa of course, those which receive the strongest condemnation are also the most beloved. Value for money is a term I don't think is really applicable to art but in pure economic terms I would be surprised if this sculpture has not brought more than £800,000 into the economy of Gateshead in tourism and other revenues.

So when people dont pick up after their dogs, that's art!
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Hardly need art in Wales, the landscape is so beautiful, Arenig Fawr is visible from many places like a bactrian camel plodding along just below the horizon

I agree Wales has some ofmthe most stunning scenery in the UK,but when I see the slate slag heaps across the valley from Llanberis and many other places in North Wales I feel like weeping.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:So when people dont pick up after their dogs, that's art!

If it is it's crap art! :?
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Hardly need art in Wales, the landscape is so beautiful, Arenig Fawr is visible from many places like a bactrian camel plodding along just below the horizon

I agree Wales has some ofmthe most stunning scenery in the UK,but when I see the slate slag heaps across the valley from Llanberis and many other places in North Wales I feel like weeping.

I think the enormous grey slate tips at Blaenau Ffestiniog have a certain beauty, disappearing into the mist

The *CAT* near Machynlleth is on an old slate tip (I have seen the future and it works!)

The Grauniad just reported how several old Bank buildings in Bishop Auckland are showing miners art, +1 - thread drift back to art, is that allowed?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn
Everything has a certain beauty for someone,beauty is in the eye of the beholder but dominance can be overpowering,that's my feeling on the slate slag tips and the Angeal of the North,YVMV and has every right to :)
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

You can get something that is both "art" and is functional.

On the east side of Bolton the local canal restoration society - for the Manchester, Bolton & Bury Canal - were wanting a replacement bridge across the canal. They are working to get the section dug out and back to water. There was a bridleway that went across the infilled canal so money was needed for a bridge. Separately there was also some money for some public art work/installation in the local area.

The final solution was to make a giant "meccano" bridge as a functioning bridge across the canal. More details here.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Functional art is great and bridges can be superb art IMHO :D
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Art is personal and you will either like or hate.

I once planned an entire cycle tour around "Terra Novalis" in Consett.

Others are so simple and appropriate like this one form a library:

However, I dislike intensely the (in my opinion) pretentious stuff like Tracy Emmin and her ilk
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Talking of art on the NCN routes & Millennium Posts, mention must be made of the superb work done by the late Patti Wilson, in restoring & picking out all the details in colour.
Before she died recently, she had completed over thirty posts,mostly in North Wales Cheshire, & Staffordshire where she lived,but also odd ones in East Anglia and Scotland.
Look out for them on your rides,
RickH

Post by RickH »

John Holiday wrote:Talking of art on the NCN routes & Millennium Posts, mention must be made of the superb work done by the late Patti Wilson, in restoring & picking out all the details in colour.
Before she died recently, she had completed over thirty posts,mostly in North Wales Cheshire, & Staffordshire where she lived,but also odd ones in East Anglia and Scotland.
Look out for them on your rides,

I remember the first one we noticed, back in 2017, out towards the western end of the Chester Greenway.

NCN route post
NCN route post

We'd noticed the transformation from plain black of several others since then.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Wonderful piece of work.
Thanks for photo.