Do You Feel the Need for Public Art, such as sculptures on

reohn2

Re: Do You Feel the Need for Public Art, such as sculptures on

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:Some excellent public art along many urban cycle tracks.
All provided totally free by graffiti artists. :D

I agree some public art/graffiti can be very good.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

reohn2 wrote:

Many towns have paid tours of their most celebrated graffiti.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

As to needing art on sustrans paths and similar; it's not necessary in itself, but we need more than our pure necessities in order to make life pleasant.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:As to needing art on sustrans paths and similar; it's not necessary in itself, but we need more than our pure necessities in order to make life pleasant.

Well said :)
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:

We had problems with Graffiti along the old Railway Line, so talked the Council into commissioning some work

In 2009 the local School "claimed" Rowner Arch

Further down at Ann's Hill there is a more Naval theme:

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Beats bare concrete any day :)

I prefer the first one :)
W H Auden
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Sometimes I think that the the cycle paths themselves are intended as a public art work:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/September2017.htm
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

:lol: :lol:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As many have said, nothing that costs enough to reduce the quality of the path. Topical lumps of metal/machinery that can't be nicked don't look too bad in an industrial setting but in a rural landscape less so. In a natural setting nothing is best. Anything bought from some expensive source is daft.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattsccm wrote:As many have said, nothing that costs enough to reduce the quality of the path. Topical lumps of metal/machinery that can't be nicked don't look too bad in an industrial setting but in a rural landscape less so. In a natural setting nothing is best. Anything bought from some expensive source is daft.

I couldn't agree more,and yes the silly priced Angel of the North's are overblown and plain bonkers :?
W H Auden
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The Angel of the North is a major tourist attraction, drawing sightseers to Gateshead. It's spawned imitators (or inspirees) as far afield as Australia and, according to Wikipedia, even the most expensive item ever to be valued by Antiques Roadshow. But most of all, it makes people happy to see it. Happy is actually rather a one-dimensional word to describe an art work. As for the cost of it was, again according to Wikipedia, £800,000 and was mostly from lottery funding.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:The Angel of the North is a major tourist attraction, drawing sightseers to Gateshead. It's spawned imitators (or inspirees) as far afield as Australia and, according to Wikipedia, even the most expensive item ever to be valued by Antiques Roadshow. But most of all, it makes people happy to see it. Happy is actually rather a one-dimensional word to describe an art work. As for the cost of it was, again according to Wikipedia, £800,000 and was mostly from lottery funding.

Art has many facets forms and meanings,not always pleasent or appreciative.
To me the A of N is an oversized monstrosity and whilst I dont know what it cost it was waaayyyy too much,of course other people's opinion may differ but that doesn't make mine any less valid.

Rant alert
Whilst I'm on about monstrosities the slab of oversized glass stucture in cental Mancester is a complete and utter eyesore too.
Rant over.
W H Auden
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Your first sentence is key: "Art has many facets forms and meanings,not always pleasant or appreciative." Disliking art is a form or way of appreciating it as opposed to remaining oblivious. The art works which are the most loved are likely to also be the most hated precisely because they arouse strong feelings. And vice versa of course, those which receive the strongest condemnation are also the most beloved. Value for money is a term I don't think is really applicable to art but in pure economic terms I would be surprised if this sculpture has not brought more than £800,000 into the economy of Gateshead in tourism and other revenues.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Your first sentence is key: "Art has many facets forms and meanings,not always pleasant or appreciative." Disliking art is a form or way of appreciating it as opposed to remaining oblivious. The art works which are the most loved are likely to also be the most hated precisely because they arouse strong feelings. And vice versa of course, those which receive the strongest condemnation are also the most beloved. Value for money is a term I don't think is really applicable to art but in pure economic terms I would be surprised if this sculpture has not brought more than £800,000 into the economy of Gateshead in tourism and other revenues.

:wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hardly need art in Wales, the landscape is so beautiful, Arenig Fawr is visible from many places like a bactrian camel plodding along just below the horizon
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies