Lights on bikes

Should bikes be sold complete with lights?

Yes, provided cyclists are still allowed to take them off for riding in daylight.
44%
No.
56%

Total votes: 86

cranky

Post by cranky »

Edwards wrote:The vast majority of bikes I have seen do not have a bar bag or rack fitted. People will probably be more inclined to change batteries that purchase plus fit lights. If at least some more people have lights it must be better.
It seems rather silly that a road going vehicle capable of being used at night has reflectors fitted, but no lights. Is this vehicle fit for purpose.

During the day it is :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Try taking any other road going vehicle capable of being used at night without a full set of working lights to a police station and make the same statement during the day.
david143

Post by david143 »

Edwards wrote:Try taking any other road going vehicle capable of being used at night without a full set of working lights to a police station and make the same statement during the day.

Horse and Cart, and anyone walking day or night.

Only motor vehicles are required to have lights fitted during daylight hours as far as I am aware.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Many commuters and utility riders don't perceive bikes to be capable of carrying bags. It's a case of rucksack on back, one winking led on seat post, another flasher on bars.
What a bicycle comes with is more or less what it stays with. That's the market who'd most benefit from being lit from the outset. Never underestimate the general public, especially where bicycles are concerned.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Rule 48 Highway code. Horse drawn vehicles. A light showing white to the front and red to the rear must be fitted. Law RVLR1989 reg4.
People are not vehicles or has this changed
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As the fog descends on the lighting regulations, let's spare a moment to reflect that the government is said to be considering enrolling members of the public to enforce this with fixed penalty notices. :lol:
cranky

Post by cranky »

thirdcrank wrote:As the fog descends on the lighting regulations, let's spare a moment to reflect that the government is said to be considering enrolling members of the public to enforce this with fixed penalty notices. :lol:

Well they'd better recruit them from an Olympic sprint team or they'll have no chance :twisted:
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
david143

Post by david143 »

Edwards wrote:Rule 48 Highway code. Horse drawn vehicles. A light showing white to the front and red to the rear must be fitted. Law RVLR1989 reg4.
People are not vehicles or has this changed

see
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_1 ... _2.htm#(Ti)4exemptiongeneral

Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to-

(a) a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp,
(b) an incomplete vehicle proceeding to a works for completion,
(c) a pedal cycle,
(d) a pedestrian-controlled vehicle,
(e) a horse-drawn vehicle,
(f) a vehicle drawn or propelled by hand, or
(g) a combat vehicle.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Edwards wrote:The vast majority of bikes I have seen do not have a bar bag or rack fitted. People will probably be more inclined to change batteries that purchase plus fit lights. If at least some more people have lights it must be better.
It seems rather silly that a road going vehicle capable of being used at night has reflectors fitted, but no lights. Is this vehicle fit for purpose.

I still think this faith in batteries is laudable, but naive.

Look and see how many bikes have the brakes detached rather than deal with a bent or damaged wheel!
rower40

Post by rower40 »

Cunobelin wrote:Conclusion - the more you look like the Police the better off you are!

I was riding home from [s] the pub[/s] erm, working late, lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree, when I overheard a youf on a bike say to his mate: "I bet he's a copper, lit up like that."
[Warm Glow]
I'd still got some lights on the bike that I hadn't switched on. Such as the Cateye Stadium.
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Cunobelin wrote:

I still think this faith in batteries is laudable, but naive.

Look and see how many bikes have the brakes detached rather than deal with a bent or damaged wheel!

What about these....batteries need not apply.
Reelight does not use batteries - but produces its own green energy using magnets attached to your bicycle spokes - pure induction power. Good for the planet and for your pocket. Never buy batteries for your light again and never have your batteries fail halfway through a ride.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23027
pigman

Post by pigman »

lads birthday this week, so I got him a bike from Decathlon. Came fitted with lights too, so ready to ride at night, no? Well, no actually. Front light is a 2Xc cell light held on by a clip with no fastening - just click and clamp. Cos its top heavy, it either points to the stars or the front hub, and I guess if you hit a pothole, It'd bounce off. So useless. Back light is a small LED jobby with just one LED. Quite a nifty little emergency job, but i wouldnt declare safe as a regular, only light. I'm not really complaining as such, cos the price and spec of bike is great. I just want to argue against the OP's idea. I in effect paid for something useless. If I were Joe soap, I would now be duped into riding in the dark with something thats about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
cranky

Post by cranky »

I just got myself a pair of Smart Nova 1Watt led front lights, £25.50 the pair. delivered, and not too shabby.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

cranky wrote:I just got myself a pair of Smart Nova 1Watt led front lights, £25.50 the pair. delivered, and not too shabby.

Are they enough to light up unlit roads? Would you go off road with them?
cranky

Post by cranky »

Coffee wrote:
cranky wrote:I just got myself a pair of Smart Nova 1Watt led front lights, £25.50 the pair. delivered, and not too shabby.

Are they enough to light up unlit roads? Would you go off road with them?

Too soon to tell yet, Coffee. I hope they'll be enough to get me on along a tow-path if the need arises but as yet I've not put them to the test.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker