What can we do to encourage more women to cycle?

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What can we do to encourage more women to cycle?

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote: Scotland has a bridge over the Atlantic
What????
You jest, surely.

Maybe it's a future project for when Scotland eventually leaves the rest of the UK behind.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: Scotland has a bridge over the Atlantic
What????
You jest, surely.

Maybe it's a future project for when Scotland eventually leaves the rest of the UK behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clachan_Bridge
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I would not dream of suggesting that this gets us back on topic, but the inn by the bridge is known as the "House of the Trousers".

https://antonyjwaller.wordpress.com/travel-articles/scotland/tigh-an-truish-the-house-of-trousers/

I have drunk there after walking over from Puilldobhrain. My feet were wet and muddy.

http://www.scottishanchorages.co.uk/puilladobhrain/4533231043
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good old Wiki.
Not true.

The Atlantic Ocean starts off the coasts of the western shores of the British Isles. Continental shelf arguably.
Western and northwestern shores of the island of Ireland, and western shores of Outer Hebrides, Tiree, Islay, and perhaps Scilly.

There's an Atlantic Highway down in the SW.
In truth, it's along the shores of the Celtic Sea.

Plymouth styles itself as The Ocean City.
In truth, it's on the shore of the English Channel.

It's all nice and romantic to say Atlantic. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mike Sales wrote:I would not dream of suggesting that this gets us back on topic, but the inn by the bridge is known as the "House of the Trousers".

https://antonyjwaller.wordpress.com/travel-articles/scotland/tigh-an-truish-the-house-of-trousers/

I have drunk there after walking over from Puilldobhrain. My feet were wet and muddy.

http://www.scottishanchorages.co.uk/puilladobhrain/4533231043

I can get the discussion back on the rails:
'Donald where's your trousers' is a song about a man wearing a kilt, it would be called a ladies skirt in the South
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi There, Surely the best way of getting more women to cycle is to tell them that they shouldn't?
Not the right genetic make-up, not emotionally suited, can't hack it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is of course said very much tongue in cheek. TTFN MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

merseymouth wrote:Hi There, Surely the best way of getting more women to cycle is to tell them that they shouldn't?
Not the right genetic make-up, not emotionally suited, can't hack it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is of course said very much tongue in cheek. TTFN MM

That works with children at least, to quote Garret Fitzgerald: it works in practice, but will it work in theory?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The BBC reveals the startling results of an amazing survey:-
Almost three-quarters of women 'never cycle'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44446958

I'll go to the foot of our stairs. Who would ever have thought it? :shock:

Next week : Pope is revealed to be a catholic. :lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That poldark fit might attract a few male cyclists too! Personally even attractive female pro cyclists don't make me want to cycle any more than I want to anyway. Being a male I am more likely to fit into this cycling category of society.

I wouldn't mind being the minority gender in this case. I mean middle aged men in lycra doesn't work as something to be stuck behind in traffic waiting to pass. I have struggled past a few women in lycra team kit though. Usually that's male pride doing it as they're actually are members of that local road club and usually pass me by seconds later when I've blown up with the effort. I'm usually left trying to hang on to their wheel for as long as possible. Aerodynamics and efficiency reasons only!

It's common to see local female cyclists riding in normal clothes but male cyclists in full team kit. It seems to me women cyclists are more utilitarian than men or at least look more like cycling is part of normal life not just a leisure activity.
Punk_shore

Post by Punk_shore »

There are many strands to this scenario. For whatever reason, having a decent car seems to be as important to some people as living in a nice place.

Although I do see unaccompanied female cyclists riding through my town, I also get fed up with people telling me I should ride more myself. Isn't it enough that I go without a car? :mrgreen:
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Quite a few women in this photo. Is London leading the way, in that driving is so awful that cycling becomes a viable alternative?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

I would redesign shopping trolleys(supermarket) such they can either be towed or shunted by cyclists.I would further insist on all future buildsn be located uphill in residential areas to ease the return home.In the short-run the Chancellor should exempt shopping baskets,which attach to bikes,from VAT,and shops could offer a discount to women who arrive by bike,on condition that the women wear their helmets in the isles for ID purposes.
Punk_shore

Post by Punk_shore »

Some good points there :lol:

I was surprised, when paying for a Global Positioning System land survey of my drive, that the datum (height reference) was not recorded.
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gnvqsos wrote:I would redesign shopping trolleys(supermarket) such they can either be towed or shunted by cyclists.

No need: the handles on my largest panniers have a large carabiner attached which you can hitch the trolley paybox cable to (you know, the thing someone shoves into the next trolley to get the deposit back) and tow it around the car park to the trolley dump, watching out for any slopes.

Unpaid trolleys at another shop just get left next to the trolley park for the trolley worker to collect, which is what everyone seems to do.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.