Critical Mass and the law on Radio 4 this Tuesday

JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

aesmith wrote:I find it hard to accept their claim that these rides are not organised, then see the quote ...

"Critical Mass claims to host these sort of rides in 400 cities around the world, and they had been happening without incident in London for 11 years"

Tony S

.....according to a journalist, who always quote correctly and in context!
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

JQ666 wrote:
aesmith wrote:I find it hard to accept their claim that these rides are not organised, then see the quote ...

"Critical Mass claims to host these sort of rides in 400 cities around the world, and they had been happening without incident in London for 11 years"

Tony S

.....according to a journalist, who always quote correctly and in context!

True, the source for that quote not made clear. However there's a Critical Mass web site, and the times and places for these musters are published. There is some sort of organisation for sure.
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

If the rides are always same day of the month, same time and same place (as the London ride is), it could pretty easily be argued that while there may once have been someone who set the day/time/place, it is now just a customary thing and anyone can publish the details because that custom is known.

Ben
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

The CM web sites last time I looked at them in any detail were all quite clear about saying "this is not an official web site, this is the personal views of someone or some people who go on CM a lot". It may be that they've changed since then, but as Ben points out the custom is pretty well entrenched now anyway.

I'm no particular fan of CM, to tell the truth, simply because I tried it once and it was tediously slow and to be honest if the goal is just to have fun cycling in London why pick Friday rush hour as a good time to do that? The absence of formal organisation means you get ad-hoc organisation, which amounts to "whoever shouts the loudest wins" and "there is no accountability of decisions made". It's the Tyranny of Structurelessness. But they're riding on public streets, and city streets are not just a way of getting from A to B, they're important social spaces - and you cannot have a sensible discussion of the merits or otherwise of holding parties for cyclists in the middle of them without considering that. There are bigger considerations than impeding traffic flow.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't really need a lecture on the difference between fox hunting / AKA riding to hounds and CM / AKA riding a bike with lots of others, but I found this interesting: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4965430.ece

Some parallels with the present CM case including police seeking advance info, and numbers participating said to have been increased since a ban was imposed.

(If anybody does want to give me a lecture, I should appreciate their avoiding the phrase 'perfectly legal'. :roll: )
meic

Post by meic »

Has there been a ruling yet?
Yma o Hyd
Speshact

Post by Speshact »

Si

Post by Si »

Excellent! The Lords are good for something then.
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

Unsurprising, but good to see all the same.

Ben
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
Paul Power

Post by Paul Power »

great news, a real win for those oppossing Silly Laws....

Paul
Paul Power

Post by Paul Power »

Si wrote:Excellent! The Lords are good for something then.

yes, but it probably only got through because most of them were either asleep or absent.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Full text of the judgement Here on the parliament publications website.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Tony S

trust me - the one thing they are not is organised.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Wonderful.

It's a pity the weather forecast for Friday isn't brilliant. I wonder if this decision will encourage a bit turnout?
juice

Post by juice »

7_lives_left wrote:Wonderful.

It's a pity the weather forecast for Friday isn't brilliant. I wonder if this decision will encourage a bit turnout?

It will be massive, wonder how the police will react?