Cycling on the road

Andy Tallis

Re:Cycling on the road

Post by Andy Tallis »

I often wonder if the so called sustainable transport charity really reduces car use that much. After all, many of their schemes/"facilities" are very leisure cycling orientated - leisure cycling is great but building tracks is hardly a pollution free activity and neither is putting bikes in or ona car to drive to the start of said track.
Sore Thumb

Post by Sore Thumb »

I think you should have a look at this site. The first step to getting us off the roads.

http://www.edobrain.homecall.co.uk/Othe ... licing.htm

But I am sure CTC are supporting this cyclist. I hope so anyway.

look also here for more into this story

http://bikereader.com/forum/index.php?topic=5246.0

then more here

http://bikereader.com/forum/index.php?topic=6629.0

and the current thead regarding the situation here

http://bikereader.com/forum/index.php?topic=7839.0

This cyclist will need our support. If he looses I hate what it will mean for the rest of us cyclists that use the road.
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

I remember hearing about that on the cycling plus forum. Pretty appauling - especially as the police car seems to have driven right on his back wheel when stopping him!
gar

Post by gar »

Andy

The only way Sustrans can get funds is to promote routes which go THROUGH towns and do not pass them by, so the money is not wasted.
Safe routes to schools campaign is an xcellent initiative but not much help to the long distance cyclists as many of us are on this MB.
gar

Post by gar »

<A href='http://www.edobrain.homecall.co.uk/OtherPages/edCyclingEffectivePolicing.htm
'>www.edobrain.homecall.co.uk/OtherPages/edCyclingEffectivePolicing.htm
</A>

I have looked at sore thumbs pic and remarks.

Traffic police have one of the most difficult jobs to do, sweeping up even after appalling injuries are caused by RTAs.

If they said what they did and meant it , it was as the saying goes "for your own Good!"

They have seen death occur like that ans want to prevent yours.

I hope they fine you.

£300
Sore Thumb

Post by Sore Thumb »

Hi Gar,

Just to let you know it's not my pic. It's another cyclist web site and he has also posted on Cycling Plus. I just felt it might interest members on here as it was relevent to the thead.

Oh, and just because the police see a few bad RTA's and pick up the bits, it does not excuse the actions of the police officer in this case.

What about if a Police Officer gets caught speeding or other offence. I can just see him/her in his/her defence using the excuse of having to pick up the pieces after a nasty RTA.

I might point out that I work in a operating theatre and also see the aftermath of RTA's, stabbings, assaults, attempted sucides etc..
Oh, Ive also served during the second gulf war (op telic) and i've seen more sights there than any police officer will see in his lifetime.
So do's that give the right to state my point to any officer that stops me whilst I am cycling down the road and breaking no law. Yes and so does everyone else.
gar

Post by gar »

It surprises me how many OT people arrive on motorbikes.

Oh, and just because the police see a few bad RTA's and pick up the bits, it does not excuse the actions of the police officer in this case.

---- I beg to differ. there may not be much Sort can do to prevent suicides.. but would he not counsel against it.... or against a stabbing if he saw one likely to occur? I can understand that he is hardened by all this adverse experience of his, but it is not to demean the role of prventive policing.

What about if a Police Officer gets caught speeding or other offence. I can just see him/her in his/her defence using the excuse of having to pick up the pieces after a nasty RTA.

--------If a copper is done for Petty Larceny then he is prosecuted for petty larceny. That is the most common police man's crime. If he is good at it he leaves the force and goes in to the big time.

Generally the Police are law abiding; they are officers of it. Keep clear of them; they are looking for business.
Stilly

Post by Stilly »

Gar

Usally I have a bit of time for what you say but this time you are so far wide of the mark that you have missed the point entirely. This poor cyclist was trying to get from a to b legally by using a public highway that is there for vehicular use (a bike being a vehicle). He was not breaking the law as there were no "cycling forbidden" signs out and the policeman stopped him from going about his business. How long would a car had to wait 10secs 30 secs hardly a lifetime. This officer is obviously of the JC ilk and thinks cyclists are nothing but vermin, at the end of the day if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem and as the PC was in a car guess what he is.

Stilly

Hapiness is a 30k Climb
Tony

Post by Tony »

And some good points there, but Gar: why should I be intimidated off the road? When cyclists, moving at a reasonable 20mph-plus speed, encounter pedestrians on the pavement, what then? A campaign to remove "vulnerable" pedestrians from the pavement?
No, I cannot agree with anything that erodes our rights by blaming the victim rather than the perpetrator.
Women are vulnerable to rape. They should therefore stay at home. Same argument.
gar

Post by gar »

Too true Tony and Stilly Too true!
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Who are the police to decide what risks I take with my own life?
gar

Post by gar »

intending to commit an offence... taking your own life? It is only a minor misdemeanour, but if they think you are going to they can arrest you to prevent you from doing it, and usually a voluntary section of the mental health act rather than a charge.
Sore Thumb

Post by Sore Thumb »

Who are the police to decide what risks I take with my own life?

Gar, did you read this sentance? I don't think he implied that he was going to commit suicide and requires a mental health section order or to get arrested.

Would it be you view that every downhill MTB cyclist has a police officer waiting at the bottom of the course to arrest and section the cyclist for his own safety?

Or maybe a commuter that by right uses the road to cycle but in doing so, puts himself/herself at some risk?

Your comments Gar have no relevance to the topic.
gar

Post by gar »

The police do have the rights that axel knutt
asks about.

They may only be the right to ADVISE, which is, I believe, getting close to a caution.

I don't WANT to upset anybody for the sake of
e mail chat so perhaps I had better keep quiet.
gar

Post by gar »

Sore Thumb may ignore police advice if he wants to.

I agree that it can often be a very good idea to do so, especially with young teenage coppers who
may be slightly crazy themselves!

Risk / probability/ certainty is surely the subject matter for any road cycling discussion. It cannot be of NO relevance at all.