MPs put the boot in to sustainable transport

Simon L6

MPs put the boot in to sustainable transport

Post by Simon L6 »

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDe...86&SESSION=899

this one's been running for a bit - but it's extremely disappointing to see some decent MPs signing up to this trash. For those of you who don't know - the Seattle trishaw was of a different design to those used in London, and, in any case, the greatest risk to the occupants of trishaws comes from taxi drivers deliberately ramming them.

Of course, in the wake of the Warboys case it's ever more difficult for the Licensed Taxi Drivers to claim that a black cab is the safest way to get home (and that's presuming that Warboys was a one off, which I, for one, do not believe for a second).

Anyway - here's a list of the chumps that signed the motion, and, if you happen to have the misfortune to be represented by one of them, perhaps you might ask thim or her why. What the majority of these MPs know about trishaws is anybody's guess. South Antrim! DMAF!

Scott, Lee - Conservative Ilford North
Spink, Bob - Independent, Castle Point
Cryer, Ann - Labour, Keigthley
Corbyn, Jeremy - Labour, N. Islington
McDonnell, John - Labour, Hayes and Harlington
Simpson, Alan - Labour, Nottingham South
McCrea, Dr William - DUP South Antrim
Hancock, Mike - Lib Portsmouth South
Drew, David - Lab, Stroud
Etherington, Bill - Lab, Sunderland North
Williams, Betty - Lab, ConwyAustin, John - Lab, Erith and Thamesmead
McDonnell, Alasdair - DUP Belfast South
ed_o_brain

Re: MPs put the boot in to sustainable transport

Post by ed_o_brain »

Simon,

That link doesn't work.

I found this
http://www.westminster.gov.uk/councilgovernmentanddemocracy/councils/pressoffice/news/pr-4629.cfm
which refers to a test case in which pedicabs maybe redefined as vehicles?

I've a vested interest in this. Do you know anything more about it?
It's not what you ride... it's how you ride it
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume that taxi drivers, private hire and all the rest present a pretty powerful lobby on an issue like this when they will all be united (as opposed to taxi drivers and private hire normally being at each others throats.)
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

thirdcrank wrote:I presume that taxi drivers, private hire and all the rest present a pretty powerful lobby on an issue like this when they will all be united (as opposed to taxi drivers and private hire normally being at each others throats.)

I think it's the taxi drivers - the private hire companies probably don't see the pedicabs as competition - but, yes, a powerful lobby.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When I looked at the list, I was trying to see what might motivate them. Obviously, London cabs are not much of in issue out here in the sticks. Most of Keighley is so hilly I cannot imagine that rickshaws or any of their derivatives are thick on the ground (counts to ten and waits for correction.) Ann Cryer has spoken out very forcefully against some problems affecting moslem women which does not go down well with some powerful groups in her constituency. Perhaps this is something which she hopes will redress the balance.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

It is a mystery. My only thought was that each of those MPs catches taxis summoned by the policeman on the front gate of the commons - and that a taxi driver picking up an MP would lose no chance to moan about the pedicabs. But that's pure supposition on my part. I do know that when I looked at the LTDA website they were obsessed by the pedicabs...
ed_o_brain

Post by ed_o_brain »

LTDA were obsessed enough to buy one and chuck it at TRL along with £52k to prove what is fairly blinkin' obvious:

They offer little protection to the occupants in a collision with a motorised vehicle and therefore are dangerous

That's a bit like saying roads are dangerous. Which isn't the case, motorised traffic being the danger and not the roads themselves.

As far as I'm aware, there has only been one pedicab incident where someone was injured in the UK, whereby an occupants scarf got caught in a wheel. This should be a storm in a teacup and MPs should dismiss it out of hand.
It's not what you ride... it's how you ride it
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

ed_o_brain wrote:As far as I'm aware, there has only been one pedicab incident where someone was injured in the UK, whereby an occupants scarf got caught in a wheel. This should be a storm in a teacup and MPs should dismiss it out of hand.

In a bit of trivia, I rode for this pedicab company (in Edinburgh) - not at the time however. Our bikes all had cages around the rear axle / transmission to avoid a repeat.

It's a good money spinner if you're willing to work hard. I knew a couple of guys who were bringing in almost as much as I now earn, because of course it's all cash in hand (£600 in a night was the biggest I heard of). I was too lazy to manage more than about £150 for a whole weekend!

It's a bit rich of the taxi lobby to say they're at danger in a car crash, when the #1 hazard of riding a pedicab (other than drunks running out, to be fair) is being driven at by... taxi drivers!