Post by Beakyboy »

Has there been any more developments?
May the wind always be at your rear!
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Etape Caledonia vandalised

Post by Mick F »

Ditto?

Just surfed the BBC News website, latest report is of the chap being charged in May.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 059601.stm

I suppose these things take an age to come to court.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it's worth remembering that in Scotland there are very strict laws about contempt of court, particularly by pre-trial publicity. (If you look at any of the online versions of Scottish newspapers, there have been no reports since that first hearing, you cannot search on either the name of the defendant or the event. The 'Have your say' features in respect of this have been suspended.) I don't know how far this extends to stuff published in England appearing in Scotland, but I'd not want to be the one who found out.

Gang warily
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Still ganging warily, but I suppose still nothing's transpired coz we've not heard anything. Still nowt on the BBC website.

No news at all?
Mick F. Cornwall
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

It'll probably all blow over and when everyones forgotten about it, yer man will get let off with a warning.
May the wind always be at your rear!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://road.cc/content/news/4410-solici ... a-sabotage

That's the latest thing I can find about the proceedings and that's a Scottish paper so I presume they stick to the legal guidelines. There are plenty of "tacky" comments here:- http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showt ... hp?t=34367
kwilkinson

Post by kwilkinson »

hi all,

Just to let you all know that all charges against Mr Grossett have been dropped. A press release has been issued to that effect although I've not seen anything online as yet but I have heard direct from the family.

Mr Grossett and his family have had to deal with a lot of abuse over this incident and whilst I'm very pleased that the charges have been dropped I hope that some people who where quick to throw mud will be equally quick to admit that there were wrong in their accusations. Hopefully now Mr Grossett and his family can get back to some degree of normality.

At this point in time I don't know if anyone else has been charged in connection with the incident but if I hear anything further I will let you know.

Cheers

K.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The wheels of justice take some time, so basically the powers that be have decided that there was insufficient evidence to proceed.

Does anyone have a link to the report? I've just checked BBC News and there's nothing since July.
Mick F. Cornwall
adamant

Etape Caledonia - carpet tack charges dropped

Post by adamant »

I learned today that criminal charges have been dropped against man accused of spreading of carpet tacks on the course of the Etape Caledonia cycle event last year. Kirk elder and retired solicitor Alexander Grosset, who had been arrested in connection with the offence, told the Press and Journal ‘there was never a shred of evidence to suggest that I did (spread the tacks).’ Grosset went on to note that the person who did commit the offence remains at large. A cheering thought, indeed, as my preparations for this year’s event get underway.

Here's the full story:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1550970
Big T

Post by Big T »

My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

It's a pity that the evidence that was used as the basis for arrest isn't public domain, so people can decide for ourselves. Did they just arrest him at random, as he insists?

For better or worse, he will always be known as the man who got away with endangering lives. The only consolation is that the publicity has made the Etape even more popular..! :twisted:
toontra

Post by toontra »

EdinburghFixed wrote:It's a pity that the evidence that was used as the basis for arrest isn't public domain, so people can decide for ourselves. Did they just arrest him at random, as he insists?

It would also make possible a civil action brought by the organisers/riders, which I always thought would be the most effective course of action, requiring a lower burden of proof and possibly punitive financial redress (if Scottish Law is similar to English in this respect).
kwilkinson

Post by kwilkinson »

jeezzz.. still guilty in some peoples eyes then...

I hope for some of you if you were ever to find yourself wrongly accused of something people are a little more understanding.
toontra

Post by toontra »

kwilkinson wrote:jeezzz.. still guilty in some peoples eyes then...

I hope for some of you if you were ever to find yourself wrongly accused of something people are a little more understanding.

There are no winners here. If I was one of the many riders who'd had their event ruined I'd be furious that the police have dropped the whole case, and I'd probably be itching to bring a joint civil action if there was sufficient evidence. I can understand that the organisers wouldn't be keen on this because of the danger of further polarising local opinion in the face of an ongoing event, but riders were left substantially out of pocket and deserve a chance at recompense.