Etape Caledonia vandalised

Flinders

Re: Etape Caledonia vandalised

Post by Flinders »

I seem to remember from the days I did go to church something about Christ deliberately not observing Sabbath customs, so there is a good precedent for being flexible about them.
Also, from what I remember of the New Testament, I doubt a nasty sneaky act like spreading tacks on the road to cause damage and injury to others would be classified as a Christian act by Christ????
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

EdinburghFixed wrote:In the broad scheme of things one morning (in fact, half a morning) is such a tiny amount that it makes the objections seem laughable.

A point of fact, the race was still going on at 1pm when I arrived last May. It had started at 6 ish. I think the stragglers were still coming in well after 2pm.

Not taking sides here, just stating the facts from 2008.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Yes, but it is the road closure they say they object to. Those times are set down. The stragglers would be coming in after the roads reopened
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Spreading tacks on the road is out of order as they say. OTOH, people involved in events both large and small often tend to forget that the rest of the world exists. A couple of years ago I was in the middle of Leeds when a running event was finishing outside the Town Hall. Obviously, therewas always going to be some disruption to traffic and that had been publicised in advance. Victoria Square in front of the Town Hall was reserved for competors at the finish and there is another quie large public space in front of the Art Galley, next door. The town centre was brought to a standstill quite unnecessarily by runners deciding to mill about in the roads which the police had reopened after the event.

The last time the Kellogs or whatever it was called by then came through Gildersome there was a complete road closure. A good quarter of an hour after the actual race had passed through, and with the roads still closed (A 58 among others) two UK riders came pedalling down the road, comprehensively dropped and chatting as though they were on a Sunday morning run in the Dales. This is not Europe - you might think it would not be beyond the wit of the organisers to do something - a ride in the sag wagon or whatever - to speed up the road reopening. It's part of the reason we've ended up with this situation. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 322015.ece
Si

Post by Si »

you might think it would not be beyond the wit of the organisers to do something - a ride in the sag wagon or whatever - to speed up the road reopening.

Would that not have disqualified them from continuing on the next stage (I'm assuming you mean the ToB type stage events rather than the Kellog's City Centre), thus meaning that they couldn't work for their team for the rest of the race?

Last time I saw the ToB it was at Muckley Corner on the A5. Traffic was stopped for maybe 20mins. It then took about 5 mins to clear afterwards. Despite all the pre-publicity, the signs and the police presence and the queues in front of them some people decided that they didn't have to wait and tried to force their way through. But the police were doing a good job (looked like they were used to the problem by that point) and kept the route clear. Just shows that there will always be someone that will think the rules don't apply to them, or decide that they are more important than others' safety (ask Phil Anderson),or just take umbrage at people having fun because they are not part of it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ellieb wrote:The stragglers would be coming in after the roads reopened

Ah. Ok. Didn't know that.
So basically, the back markers and stragglers would have to be racing on open roads? I thought that was illegal.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Ah. But its not a race :D

The roads aren't closed to allow a race. It is just a sportive. But as with any sportive some of the entrants and some of the media think it is a race.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I've never really understood that theory. Just because people are racing against a clock, doesn't mean they're not racing. Isn't it like saying a marathon is not a race because really everyone is just trying to improve their time? :)
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Yeah but the significant thing is: From a legal postion it isn't classified as a race.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Si wrote:
you might think it would not be beyond the wit of the organisers to do something - a ride in the sag wagon or whatever - to speed up the road reopening.

Would that not have disqualified them from continuing on the next stage (I'm assuming you mean the ToB type stage events rather than the Kellog's City Centre), thus meaning that they couldn't work for their team for the rest of the race?

On a strict interpretation of the rules, I'm sure you are right, BUT: this is professional cycle racing, where rules are often very flexible. Obviously, you cannot have all the sprinters on every difficult stage arriving in a real bus, instead of the sprinters' bus but any attempt to get pro road racing established in the UK is going to have to recognise the reality. We are now back at city centre bike races, which is where we were twenty years ago. And in the meantime, the Milk Race has folded as well.
jonnyvelo

Post by jonnyvelo »

The idiot who sprinkled carpet tacks across the 81-mile route, endangered the lives of 3,000 people taking part in a legal event. What a bad day for the image of Scotland, Perthshire, Pitlochry and religion. This man is a terrorist

My son and I have entered for the last two years, my family (wife, two teenage children and I) have stayed for 3 days and two nights injecting £1,332 (accommodation, food and drink) into the Pitlochry economy over the two years. We will unfortunately not be coming back – my son was lucky not be injured and my wife has said no to future participation.

Did this terrorist ever consider the £200,000 raised for Macmillan Cancer Support.
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

This is not without precedent, however. The 1906 TdeF had an incident, and I believe that other years had sporadic incidences.

Not really saying aything here, other than it's happened before, and I suppose it will happen again.
esseesee

Post by esseesee »

rualexander wrote:
esseesee wrote:If not, why is it considered acceptable to hold a sporting event on the public roads on a Sunday in an area of the UK where Sabbath Observance is still an important part of the population's lifestyle?

This is Tayside we're talking about here not the Isle of Lewis! I doubt if a very high percentage of the local population are bothered about sabbath observance.

Ah, I read it as there being a significant number of objectors on the grounds of sabbath observance (perhaps restricted to one community, or one specific church group, but significant given the generally-low density of the population) and the church elder detained in connection with the incident was 'representing' them.

It is unwise, unkind and intolerant to ignore or underestimate the importance that some people attach to attendance at their house of worship and the maintenance of religious rules, especially when outsiders 'invade' and attempt to force changes.

I think EdinburghFixed said everything that needed to be said.
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

I like the irony of 'Road Closed' signs.

In a city when a road is closed it normally means that everyone is free to enjoy the space, rather than it being dedicated to those in private cars. Typically when a road is closed the space opens up to some kind of celebration or another!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I gather the organsisers made provision for people to be taken to church by minibus, that doesn't suggest a lack of trying to understand.