Badgering for a badge

Karen Sutton

Re: Badgering for a badge

Post by Karen Sutton »

PaulB wrote:
SSCN4365.JPG
SSCN4365.JPG

This is a sticker that I have on all of my bikes. It is the Winged Wheel but with modern, rather than gothic letters. I prefer the modern. I still won't have the wobbly bike cartoon anywhere near my bikes - or me!

Lloyd Cycles near Penrith in Cumbria can supply any transfer/sticker you want and make them from photo's if needed. The initial process is very expensive so may not be economical for small runs. Nick, who is Lloyd cycles, gave me the above stickers when I interviewed him for my radio programme.

Lloyd Cycles
P O Box 133
Penrith
CA10 3YA

email; nick@hlloydcycles.com

That sticker is almost the same as the transfers I have here, (mine are the same as mountainman531's):

download/file.php?id=4032&mode=view

Shall I send one of my transfers to Lloyd Cycles and get a price?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Nick may well still have the design on his computer so he may be able to run some off at a reasonable price. He works from home at a lovely little village near Penrith. It is not a bike shop, Nick just manufactures stickers/decals/transfers etc. He is a keen cyclist too! I've just emailed him to see if he can produce some and for how much.
Last edited by PaulB on 2 Feb 2010, 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I found two of these metal badges today. They look so much classier than that Micky Mouse "wobbly bike".
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

PaulB wrote:Image

I found two of these metal badges today. They look so much classier than that Micky Mouse "wobbly bike".

I have one of those. I used to enjoy wearing it to CTC Council meetings; especially when I knew there was to be something coming up about what had happened to the Winged Wheel :twisted:
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Nick from Lloyd Cycles has replied to me. He has some of his work - including the Cyclists' Touring Club stickers - on Ebay so you should be able to find them there.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

I've had a go at finding these on ebay with no joy. Has anyone else tried?
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Nice. but a bit pricey at over four quid a sticker with the postage :(

Steve
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

So, I suppose the question now is: are these originals or reproduced ones?
And if the latter....has he already got a licence to reproduce them anyway?

Thinking about it...does he need a licence to reproduce them?
A few firms can reproduce frame transfers following a respray for example, so what's the situation?
Besides being complex.... :?
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

They are reproduced ones (with reference to earlier posts about Nick Lloyd producing some from a photo, and having some left which are on ebay).

As I have 7 of the old original water slide ones I don't need any at present. So the question is, are they satisfactory for the OP or do we try to source someone who can produce them more economically. I'd guess that for a small run they are going to be quite expensive.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Of course, if the "management" of CTC concentrated on running a CLUB and listening to its members we wouldn't need to be looking elsewhere for club merchandise. These stickers/transfers should be readilly available from head office, along with other club stuff. It is just another example of how out of touch the executive committee is with the grass roots members and how they have forgotten that we belong to the CYCLISTS' TOURING CLUB not a pseudo political organisation.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

PaulB wrote:Of course, if the "management" of CTC concentrated on running a CLUB and listening to its members we wouldn't need to be looking elsewhere for club merchandise. These stickers/transfers should be readilly available from head office, along with other club stuff. It is just another example of how out of touch the executive committee is with the grass roots members and how they have forgotten that we belong to the CYCLISTS' TOURING CLUB not a pseudo political organisation.

... or maybe, just maybe, it's only a tiny minority who want the old-style badges, and the rest of us are happy with a bright, colourful, cheerful, easily-recognisable logo that says "bike" rather than "archaic mess that looked half-baked even by the graphic design standards of the 1890s".

Just a thought. :)
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Whatever design you prefer, HQ should have it but they seem to have little interest in serving the membership these days.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

AndyK wrote:
PaulB wrote:Of course, if the "management" of CTC concentrated on running a CLUB and listening to its members we wouldn't need to be looking elsewhere for club merchandise. These stickers/transfers should be readilly available from head office, along with other club stuff. It is just another example of how out of touch the executive committee is with the grass roots members and how they have forgotten that we belong to the CYCLISTS' TOURING CLUB not a pseudo political organisation.

... or maybe, just maybe, it's only a tiny minority who want the old-style badges, and the rest of us are happy with a bright, colourful, cheerful, easily-recognisable logo that says "bike" rather than "archaic mess that looked half-baked even by the graphic design standards of the 1890s".

Just a thought. :)

When asked about whether the Winged Wheel will continue is use, CTC Management have stated that the Winged Wheel is the badge of the CTC. The "bright, colourful, cheerful, easily-recognisable " logo is just that, the logo.

So as the Winged Wheel is acknowledged as the badge of the CTC, why can't we have some badges?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

AndyK wrote:archaic mess that looked half-baked even by the graphic design standards of the 1890s".

Is a 10 second scrawl with a broad-tipped felt pen really what passes for graphic design these days? :shock: I think I already know the answer to that one :roll:
My word, how standards have changed - we shouldn't be so keen to let go of the past, whatever we think of it. After all, it has got us to where we are now, and what's wrong with people wanting to wave an old and worthy flag? :wink:

I'm with you, Karen, on this one. :P

Steve