Badgering for a badge

Karen Sutton

Re: Badgering for a badge

Post by Karen Sutton »

The latest response from Mark on this matter:

"I’m sorry to report that no one, other than Chris Juden, has either heard of, or seen, these decals to which you’re referring. Chris remembers them from a very long time ago and remarks that they weren’t very durable. Stickers have come a long way in recent years and are probably more suitable. We don’t have any of these either except the mudguard sticker which is sent to each new member when s/he joins. This of course doesn’t depict a winged wheel but only a wobbly bike".

Mark has suggested that we might "gather signatures and present a petition (or submit a motion) to the AGM in May requesting that CTC produce a range of merchandise which would appeal to members. We’ve come a long way in that direction in recent years with cycle clothing but a winged wheel badge might be a popular addition".

So what do you think? Is it a good idea?
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I think it's an excellent idea.
workhard

Post by workhard »

How does one submit a motion on some stickers/badges/transfers then? According to the CTC website the deadline is 1st February.....

We need to agree what we are asking and have two full members propose and second it.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

workhard wrote:How does one submit a motion on some stickers/badges/transfers then? According to the CTC website the deadline is 1st February.....

We need to agree what we are asking and have two full members propose and second it.

OK. I will propose it. Now we need to decide what we want. Is it a transfer or stickers? And will it be the full on Gothic badge or the one where you can decipher the letters CTC?
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Karen Sutton wrote:
workhard wrote:How does one submit a motion on some stickers/badges/transfers then? According to the CTC website the deadline is 1st February.....

OK. I will propose it. Now we need to decide what we want. Is it a transfer or stickers? And will it be the full on Gothic badge or the one where you can decipher the letters CTC?

Sadly, I have a feeling that such a motion will get little, if any support, at an AGM (particularly this one) unless you can show that it will make money for CTC.

After all, it won't fit with the bright, shiny, super charity image some in CTC are trying to project. :wink:
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Regulator wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:

Sadly, I have a feeling that such a motion will get little, if any support, at an AGM (particularly this one) unless you can show that it will make money for CTC.

After all, it won't fit with the bright, shiny, super charity image some in CTC are trying to project. :wink:

After what happened to the 2 motions about the Winged Wheel at the last AGM, I must agree with you there Greg. The trouble is, if the Cycle Tourists among us go elsewhere to obtain these (as was suggested upthread), there would possibly be copyright issues. Yet the Winged Wheel is said to be the CTC badge (the wobbly bike being the CTC logo), and so as members we must surely be able to expect it to be available as members' merchandise. We are not asking them to give them out like they do with the wobbly bike stuff.

The Strategic Vision 2007 to 2012 is likely to be forgotten amidst the hype about the "Membership Charity". Yet it includes a strategy for the Cyclists' Touring Club, which it claims is their "body for touring, travelling, holiday & leisure cyclists".

It says "We will promote Cyclists’ Touring Club as an integrated leisure cycling club based on the following strengths.

Our welcoming, knowledgeable and sharing network of local touring clubs.
Our information, services and advice.
A comprehensive service package aimed at the leisure market.
Our subsidiary company CTC Cycling Holidays and Tours.

Strategies:

We will develop a communication strategy to ensure that Cyclists’ Touring Club is recognised and promoted by tourist boards, travel media and other relevant bodies.
We will make our information routing and knowledge management processes more flexible and interactive with comprehensive UK coverage.
We will develop strategic alliances with other cycling organisations to provide a range of cycle touring information and activities outside the UK to complement our members’ information.
We will support and develop cycling groups (member and affiliate) that provide Cyclists’ Touring Club activities.

We will develop a communication strategy to ensure that Cyclists’ Touring Club is recognised and promoted by tourist boards, travel media and other relevant bodies.
We will make our information routing and knowledge management processes more flexible and interactive with comprehensive UK coverage.
We will develop strategic alliances with other cycling organisations to provide a range of cycle touring information and activities outside the UK to complement our members’ information.
We will support and develop cycling groups (member and affiliate) that provide Cyclists’ Touring Club activities".

So, if we Cycle Tourists, as an "integrated leisure cycling club" want our own badge/stickers, surely there can't be a reason why we can't have it?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Following on from last year's AGM, it was agreed (apparently) that the CTC winged wheel cloth badge would become available again. After one council member got some quotes from Ireland, an official order was placed by CTC.
These new badges have been available for some time. They are approx. 40mm in diameter and show the winged wheel on a dark blue background . Very fetching.
I understand that they are only available from him as Wiggle / CTC shop didn't receive any.

If it is possible to have these badges produced, I see no reason why Karen cannot obtain agreement for the mudguard sticker type to be produced, in either old or new formats. Good luck with your quest and be prepared to be inundated.
Attachments
P1010559.JPG
Last edited by fausto copy on 16 Jan 2010, 10:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

The cloth badges were on the Wiggle site when this thread started. They are still there. See:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/s/cycle/7/CTC

So they have had the stock for a while.

Now I need to find out who to badger about permission to get the stickers made. :)
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Karen, sorry about that.
Peter assured me that he had been given the complete stock, after he had sold out of his first batch.
Anyway, I am sure you will be able to get the sticky stickers sorted.
Regards,
fausto.
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

Hopefully I've uploaded a photo of the only transfer I've still got on a bike that I am using.

This is what I really want!
The white surround, dark blue background with gold lettering and motif.

At one time not so long ago I had these transfers at the top of the downtube on every bike I own, then they became unavailable.

I've used a "flying bike" sticker on a mudguard but find that it's creased, for a frame a transfer is much classier.

As a side issue on the copyright, Karen, If HQ don't, can't or won't produce these transfers and we the members, without whom CTC wouldn't exist, take it into our own hands to produce them then I don't really see how we can be in breach. It would be CTC v CTC!

Steve
Attachments
CTC_Winged_Wheel.jpg
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

The cloth badge on Wiggle isn't in the same league as the one fausto copy shows pictured. Which councillor are these available from?

Steve
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

mountainman531 wrote:The cloth badge on Wiggle isn't in the same league as the one fausto copy shows pictured. Which councillor are these available from?

Steve

It seems there are none of these left, only the ones Wiggle have. If there is demand for more we could make enquiries about re ordering them from the original suppliers, and try to get some stickers made up as well. I don't know if we would be able to get transfers now?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

mountainman531 wrote:This is what I really want!
The white surround, dark blue background with gold lettering and motif.

Me too :P I can't see the CTC being bothered about copyright if they decide not to produce them themselves. It's not as if they'd be losing revenue because of the copying - so there'd be no financial gain in chasing it up. I'd be very surprised if they raised any objections should a new supplier be found - though it would be wise to ask first :wink:

It's the sort of transfer I'd produce for myself if I could find a good enough one to scan/photograph.
I played around the other night with these effort - still undecided (they're reversed for the printing stage). One's from an old book cover the other is the 1928 Jubilee stamp. :roll: Sorry they've come out so BIG :shock:

Steve
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

mountainman531 wrote:The cloth badge on Wiggle isn't in the same league as the one fausto copy shows pictured. Which councillor are these available from?

Steve

I've had a look on the Wiggle site and their's seem to be the "original " badge and colours.
Peter has agreed for his email address to be posted, so if you want one of the ones shown above, contact is:
peter.j.brake@googlemail.com

When I spoke to Peter on Saturday, he had around 30 left.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

fausto copy wrote: They are approx. 40mm in diameter and show the winged wheel on a dark blue background . Very fetching.

download/file.php?id=3999&mode=view

Got mine today - beautifully made. Thanks to both Fausto and Peter :P

Steve