Help save Royal Mail bikes

mw3230

Re: Help save Royal Mail bikes

Post by mw3230 »

Does anyone have any information as to just how many of the posties actually use bikes.

It might be that nostalgia and sentimentality are not especially valid reasons for retaining them.

Interesting to know what the Postal Workers Union have to say - they are usually dead against any sort of modernisation in either technology or working practices. The mooted change is probably sufficient incentive for them to have a strike ballot.

They'll be wanting to do away with black and white cats next!
Retired and loving it
rootes

Post by rootes »

trollies do seem to be a good idea?

how informed is the CTC campaign? are they acting for posties? or for their own agenda? seems to be the latter.

my postie leaves his bike at the end of the street and walks round the houses
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

It strikes me that this is entirely the wrong method to lobby for keeping their bikes. If you want a petition, at least use the No10 petition site so you know someone will see it.

Better still, engage with Postal staff and ask if they even want to keep bikes (straw poll of ours suggests they do). Then it's down to the Union and Postal Staff to make an issue of it, if necessary backed by statistical information from groups like the CTC etc.

Just making a fuss on a blog might make you feel better, but it's of no great practical use.
Auchmill

Post by Auchmill »

mw3230 wrote:
Without any wish to hijack this thread, a CYCLISTS CAMPAIGNING GROUP is what many fear the CYCLISTS TOURING CLUB is/has become. Promoting safe cycling is one thing, campaigning about the way in which a company runs it's business is another.

Can I disagree? I think it's essential the CTC is a campaigning group with as wide a remit as possible. The amount of cycling (and walking) in this country is derisory, whereas the use of mechanised transport is overwhelming and takes precedence over everything else. On another thread people were talking about viewing cycling as "normal", and seeing posties everday on bikes is part of that.

If the CTC isn't going to campaign then who is?
CJ

Post by CJ »

I passed a postman on my way to work this morning, whose bike was making a terrible grating noise. The evidence of my ears (and the postman's doleful agreement) confirmed something I've read elsewhere about the Post Office allowing their bike fleet to fall into disrepair!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
robbo

Post by robbo »

velotour

Post by velotour »

Hallelujah - I thought it was just me that couldn't see why the cyclists touring club was getting involved in the commercial decisions of a big national company so its great to see that other people think the same.

We have been bombarded for weeks now in the newsletter about showing our support for this initiative, yet I note that "around 700" responses have been sent. This is being written up as a great triumph and yet, if I recall correctly there was recent article that the membership is at record levels around the 60000 mark. Thus about 1% of the membership bothered to get involved - surely that should be spelling out a message to those at the centre who dream up these less than useful campaigns.

More on touring and less on largely irrelevant issues please
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

velotour wrote:[...] surely that should be spelling out a message to those at the centre who dream up these less than useful campaigns.

More on touring and less on largely irrelevant issues please

Is much effort being put into the campaign by people working for the CTC? Or is it the case that the effort is largely being made by volunteer CTC members? If CTC members wish to pursue the issue they deserve support. Years ago CTC was just a touring club, then when the motor car came an attempt was made to turn it into a motor and cycle touring club. That was over-turned. Over the years other clubs have faded and now CTC plays the role of the UK's Cycling Organisation, supporting all sorts of cycling apart from the competitive, which is left to British Cycling.