Recent find--And they still care!

nella

Recent find--And they still care!

Post by nella »

Fellow Member,
May I at this season commend to your generous impulses the Club's "Comforts Fund" for members in H.M. Forces? The number of such members is multiplying, and the demands upon the fund are steadily increasing in consequence.
The purpose of the Fund is to send cigarettes, chocolates, or other "comforts"--or gifts of cash which can be translated into these little luxuries--to our Service members at home or abroad: and we have been doing this with gratifying results for many months.
The Fund is now running low by reason of the heavier demand upon it as our younger members of both sexes are absorbed into the Services, so any trifle that you can spare will be welcomed.
Every penny subscribed is distributed among serving members, all the administrative expenses being borne by the Club.
With warmest greetings,
Yours faithfully,
PERCY BRAZENDALE,
Chairman of the Council

Dated December 1st, 1941.
gar

Re:Recent find--And they still care!

Post by gar »

they were conscripted; today if they don't like it they shouldn't join it, and if they don't like it when they have joined they should leave it, (or they get murdered at Deepcut)
nella

Post by nella »

? ? ? ?
TJ

Post by TJ »

Well said gar!
nella

Post by nella »

Still puzzled by your reply Gar! What has your comment got to do with the fact that the CTC was and is still a caring organisation.
Surely even you must realise that this wasn't an appeal, all I was doing was relaying an interesting document I come across along with old pre-war cycling caralogues while clearing out an empty shop!
nella

Post by nella »

Still puzzled by your reply Gar! What has your comment got to do with the fact that the CTC was and is still a caring organisation.
Surely even you must realise that this wasn't an appeal, all I was doing was relaying an interesting document I come across along with old pre-war cycling caralogues while clearing out an empty shop!
PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I think the problem may have been that gar and TJ may have missed the date (1941) at the end. I did too and was going to post something similar to gar until I spotted it.
gar

Post by gar »

No I didn't miss the date and did find the clear-out paper sufficiently interesting to comment on regards
the here and now.

Thanks for posting it, nella.

I s'pose cyclists have played an important part in wars over the last hundred years, and where there was conscription, CTC had the moral sense to be involved.

I would have voted against at any time but the vote would be/have been lost.
zeb

Post by zeb »

Perhaps Gar would like to contribute to a fund for the Swiss army? They cycle around with bazookas on their bicycles. Does anyone think that is a good deterrent for bolshy drivers?
gar

Post by gar »

I am a consistent pacifist, not one off bikes and not on!

such a bright spark zebedee!