Postmen sacked for no cycling helmet.

johncharles

Re: Postmen sacked for no cycling helmet.

Postby johncharles » 1 Jul 2009, 9:51am

hubgearfreak wrote:
johncharles wrote:I don't see any problem ......Where I work we have to wear safety shoes all the time

that's quite different. they've been proven to work.
if an object sees that your wearing safety shoes, they don't land nearer to your feet.
if an object does land on your feet, the shoe doesn't twist your ankle

You have missed the point I was making.

In my lab itself there is no possibility of anything falling on my feet but the rules are that in the building as a whole we have to wear safety shoes and so do anybody who comes in for anything at all.
There are parts of the building where the risk is there but not in my particular lab.
We also have to wear safety glasses at all times in the building and even though I spend a lot of time doing jobs that i don't need them I do and don't find it a hardship.

Anyway helmets have been shown to work, maybe not in all situations but they still work.

askeans

Postby askeans » 1 Jul 2009, 10:03am

hubgearfreak wrote:
johncharles wrote:I don't see any problem ......Where I work we have to wear safety shoes all the time

that's quite different. they've been proven to work.
if an object sees that your wearing safety shoes, they don't land nearer to your feet.
if an object does land on your feet, the shoe doesn't twist your ankle

But (sadly) the law now shows that helmets are a reaosnable expectation to be worn (by means of reduction of awards in road accidents)

CJ

Postby CJ » 1 Jul 2009, 10:05am

askeans wrote:I cycled 30 mile round trip today with panniers suit 2 pairs of shoes wet towel swimming kit laptop 3 files etc (i.e. a load not disimilar to a postie I'm guessing.

It was hot but was it a hardship with the helmet? - didn't notice if it was to be honest.

How very fortunate for you, but different people sweat differently. I know other people who can cycle in a helmet without hardship, my wife for instance, but many who cannot.

I get a sweaty head even when NOT wearing a helmet. When I do wear one, which I do for mountain-biking, I get much more sweaty in spite of having chosen the best available model for this purpose (£90 retail, ventilation optimised for low speed climbing). Sweat runs down my face, into my eyes, drips off chin ... It's all rather horrible - even in cool conditions - but since mountain-biking involves getting dirty anyway and since falls are commonplace on difficult terrain, I tolerate the discomfort.

For all other sorts of cycling, when falls are NOT a common ocurrence (once you've learnt to ride properly) and when I do not wish to get into a muck sweat, I do not wear a helmet.

Fortunately, the one condition in which falls become commonplace in normal cycling coincides with ambient temperatures around freezing point, which is as cold as it needs to be for me NOT to get a sweaty head whilst wearing a very well ventilated helmet. So then I make another exception to my no helmet rule.

And since I bring it with me anyway to keep the Guardia Civil when touring in Spain, I put it on at the tops of mountain passes for the long and fast freewheel down. But it comes off again as soon as the road flattens or when the Guardia is out of sight.

So I can perfectly understand why postal workers would find helmets uncomfortable and beg you to be quietly thankful for the physiological differences that make it not like that for you.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

askeans

Postby askeans » 1 Jul 2009, 10:33am

But CJ as you said you get hot not wearing it!!!!

So is it really that much more of a discomfort?

Sares

Postby Sares » 1 Jul 2009, 12:26pm

Well it is a chunk of foam insulation you're wearing on your head, so it's not hard to believe that it would make you even hotter.

For me I find it's not so much the heat, but that I can't fasten it securely enough to keep the front from rising if I push up on it until I have the chin strap tight enough to cut off circulation. It doesn't seem to matter how I adjust it.

I think it's interesting that cycle helmets are not covered by the HSE- why not? It would be kind of funny to see all postmen everywhere wearing cycle helmets as part of the uniform- even when in vehicles or walking.

askeans

Postby askeans » 1 Jul 2009, 1:58pm

Sares wrote:
I think it's interesting that cycle helmets are not covered by the HSE- why not? It would be kind of funny to see all postmen everywhere wearing cycle helmets as part of the uniform- even when in vehicles or walking.

I think that the letter earlier answers this (bikes are used so infrequently as a work item as opposed to a commute that they don't warrent investigation.)

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Jul 2009, 7:29pm

I have posted this scan of a newspaper report before, but I think this was what started the post office off on the helmet thing.
Image Attachments
img160.jpg

richardyorkshire

Postby richardyorkshire » 1 Jul 2009, 8:40pm

I often see postmen tootling around town on bicycles and I don't think I've ever seen one wearing a helmet. Yet somehow they hang on to their jobs.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Jul 2009, 9:41pm

Cycle helmets are a political tool, and in this case are being used to implement new working practices.

There is a plan to reduce and eventually remove cycles from the Post Office.

What they are trying to do is inflate the perceived danger and then use this as an argument for th removal of the bikes.

askeans

Postby askeans » 2 Jul 2009, 8:56am

Cunobelin wrote:Cycle helmets are a political tool, and in this case are being used to implement new working practices.

What they are trying to do is inflate the perceived danger and then use this as an argument for th removal of the bikes.

And your evidance is?

661-Pete-oldversion

Postby 661-Pete-oldversion » 2 Jul 2009, 11:09am

Where I live, there are two common variants of postman-helmet-wearing style:
1. Straps undone, dangling by rider's ears.
2. Helmet with fabric cover (especially in cold weather).

Of these, (1) makes the whole thing ineffective, and possibly dangerous (a helmet could suddenly fly off and endanger another road user).
(2) is certainly dangerous: at any speed that is. If your head strikes the tarmac at a glancing angle, the higher friction occasioned by the cloth cover could result in a torque which breaks your neck! Cloth-covered helmets are only suitable for very small children.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 2 Jul 2009, 12:02pm

askeans wrote:And your evidance is?

Unrelated to cycle helmets: a local postman told me last week that the Royal Mail was moving towards using more vans ; two postmen to each van. That seems to suggest that they are intent on phasing out bicycle deliveries.

If you look at recent decisions made by senior management - unsustainable contracts with private carriers, unworkable computer systems etc. - you might conclude that they were deliberately running down the Royal Mail so that it might be more easily privatised. Removing a safe, cheap method of mail delivery could I suppose be a part of that scheme... [conspiracy theory]... if you were a senior manager who had his eye on a nice position in the newly privatised TNT/RM [/conspiracy theory].

Anyway, as the scheme has been shelved, perhaps the bicycle will be saved.

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 2 Jul 2009, 6:07pm

johncharles wrote:Anyway helmets have been shown to work

i'm willing to read this proof 8)

thirdcrank wrote:I have posted this scan of a newspaper report

so motorist doesn't look behind when opening door..or claims he did look but didn't see him. to me, the motorist is clearly guilty of manslaughter, and should suffer the punishment....not the poor victim's colleagues :(

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 2 Jul 2009, 7:05pm

askeans wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Cycle helmets are a political tool, and in this case are being used to implement new working practices.

And your evidance is?

See the threads on posties and bikes!

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 2 Jul 2009, 7:08pm

hubgearfreak wrote:
johncharles wrote:Anyway helmets have been shown to work

i'm willing to read this proof 8)

thirdcrank wrote:I have posted this scan of a newspaper report

so motorist doesn't look behind when opening door..or claims he did look but didn't see him. to me, the motorist is clearly guilty of manslaughter, and should suffer the punishment....not the poor victim's colleagues :(

How can you be so naive!

It is obviously the cyclists fault - it is the cyclists responsibility to protect themselves , not the driver to exercise a duty of care.