Cyclist's dismount, worrying sign yesterday...

eileithyia

Cyclist's dismount, worrying sign yesterday...

Post by eileithyia »

....repeated most of the circuit we rode round when TOB came over Waddington Fell, yesterday. Not noticed on that occasion but certainly noticed yesterday; Cyclists Dismount at the cattle grid at the top of the climb.

This is the first time I have seen one of these at a cattle grid, but surely may pave the way for more. Think about it, it is an excuse for cattle grids to be left badly maintained. If a cyclist comes off/damages a bike on such a labelled cattle grid, there will be no right to sue the local authority (assuming they are to blame) as they can just use their get out clause; the signage.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
paulah

Re: Cyclist's dismount, worrying sign yesterday...

Post by paulah »

Just plain daft and lacking in joined up thinking. I've never tried pushing a bike across a cattlegrid but I've walked over many unemcumbered I wouldn't want to push a bike across. How on earth do you balance properly?
There shall be only one pannier
davebax

Post by davebax »

This sign may be more sensible than you think, and good advice to many cyclists, especially the inexperienced. It's at the top of a hill, so cyclists will be going slowly, perhaps off their saddle and swaying somewhat. In these circumstances, the move from a tarmac surface to metal rods (slippery when wet!), can change grip characteristics, and surprise the unwary, even if the c grid is in good condition. Plus grids are a lot bumpier at slow speeds than fast ones, making handling harder. It's no fun doing a rapid dismount while on a c grid.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There was some discussion about cattle grids in the CTC mag a few years ago and somebody mentioned one somewhere in a remote part of Scotland where the rails were at right angles to the normal layout. :shock:
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

thirdcrank wrote:There was some discussion about cattle grids in the CTC mag a few years ago and somebody mentioned one somewhere in a remote part of Scotland where the rails were at right angles to the normal layout. :shock:

People complain about parking in city centres, but in remote parts of Scotland, they have space to park a dozen bikes together, and you don't even have to go off your route to find them.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
mark_w

Post by mark_w »

rbrian wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:There was some discussion about cattle grids in the CTC mag a few years ago and somebody mentioned one somewhere in a remote part of Scotland where the rails were at right angles to the normal layout. :shock:

People complain about parking in city centres, but in remote parts of Scotland, they have space to park a dozen bikes together, and you don't even have to go off your route to find them.

:D That took a couple of re-reads before I twigged. Very good :D
--------
Blog : My Bike Rides
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

rbrian wrote:

It's a pity they are just wheel benders though...
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Recently whilst riding a spoke broke in my front wheel - it remained quite true. I didn't have a spare spoke so continued to ride. On approaching cattle grids, I wasn't sure whether to slow down and try to cross carefully thereby 'favouring' the damaged front wheel, or to carry on crossing at normal speed thinking that the possible extra strain on the wheel caused by the bars would be over more quickly. In the end I carried on as normal and the wheel did not let me down over the next couple of days and 100 or so miles.

I think this may be akin to the often asked question about whether we should run or walk through the rain!
Retired and loving it
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

To make cattle grids safer in tricky places where alot of cyclists use them couldn't the councils paint a strip of high friction surface on top of the rails? I shouldn't think that the animals would learn to exploit this but it would sure make using the grids alot safer, especially in the rain. It would only need to be near the edges (oh dear, am I advocating gutter riding? Oops!), so the 4 wheelers wouldn't wear the surface out.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

If you want to be sure that the motor vehicles don't wear out a friction coating, the best place to put it is straight up the middle.

I've seen threaded rods used for some small cattle grids, which gives good lateral grip (but don't try braking).
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I remember when I was at school going on a bike trip near the border and the cattle grids were an awesome novelty that gave us great amusement.

I agree with the OP - this is an execrable sign that should be struck from the books. As far as I can see there's nothing stopping councils from just putting 'cyclists dismount' signs anywhere they please (on a potholed road?) and then being able to disclaim any responsibility if you do keep on riding.

Worse still, I bet a driver's insurance company would leap on any evidence that you were doing something "unwise" when their client ploughed into you :?
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

dave holladay

Post by dave holladay »

Suggest you join in with posting on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29583

There is a BS 4008 (2006)(was a lower number before this) for Cattle Grids which I used to design the first ones installed on a Sustrans route at Callander (Cill - ma - chug/Kilmahog) - they should really have flat top surfaces on cross-beams and no side ways to walk around the edge on (sheep don't need much of a ledge to get through) - length and width should be such that a sheep cannot roll across (long and narrow). Tubular section is not advised - but still widely used.
jochta

Post by jochta »

Maybe they could replace it with a virtual cattle grid...

"Virtual" cattle grids can also be used. These look like cattle grids, but are only painted lines on the highway. The light-dark pattern of lines and pavement resembles a true cattle guard to animals. Animals see more intense contrasts of light and dark because their night vision is so much better than ours. Animals see the sharp contrast of the cattle guard on the ground as a false visual cliff; they act as if the dark spots are deeper than the light spots. Using a virtual cattle guard is cheaper than a true cattle guard, and can be used on higher-speed roads due to its smooth surface.

Also apparently there is a British Standard for cattle grids: BS4008:2006. I've seen some in very poor condition with rails missing or broken that can't possibly meet that and are very dangerous on a bike.

John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't know where that pic was taken, but if it works they must have dumb sheep. I've watched them walk over a real cattle grid (in Ilkey) so I don't think they'ed be fooled by paint.