Pedal lite SHE (daytime running lights for cyclists)campaign

Simon L6

Re: Pedal lite SHE (daytime running lights for cyclists)campaign

Post by Simon L6 »

ankle bands. And most seatpost mounted lights are visible through 180 degrees and more.
Davidc

Post by Davidc »

I have rarely disagreed as strongly with the responses on a CTC forum thread as I do with most of these. Not so much about the unnecessary complication and cost of this product as about the desirability of daytime lighting.

Every piece of research into daytime lighting, on all vehicles, shows that it reduces accidents. The most comprehensive I've seen on its use with bikes is Danish and German. The benefit to cyclists is shown as huge in that research.

I always have a flashing, bright, rear light running when on the road. Day and night, summer and winter. It occasionally attracts comment, and I have no idea how effective it is, but if it means that just one driver notices I'm there who wouldn't otherwise have done so then it's worth having the light on. It has nothing to do with making people feel like victims, or suggesting that cycling is hazardous. It's just about reducing an already small risk, with a negligible cost simple action.

Nonetheless, I'd hate to see it, or helmets, or hiviz, or reflective clothing, made compulsory.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Davidc wrote:
Every piece of research into daytime lighting, on all vehicles, shows that it reduces accidents. The most comprehensive I've seen on its use with bikes is Danish and German. The benefit to cyclists is shown as huge in that research.

Can you point us to the research? None that I have seen is that conclusive.
meic

Post by meic »

I cant refer to the papers so it may not be reliable. However my understanding is that the research done for daylight riding lights on motorbikes showed a decrease in accident rates immeidiatly after their introduction. Then after 6 months it was back to normal.
Yma o Hyd