Re: Wiltshire - Stonehenge

Postby gaz » 22 Jun 2015, 9:57pm

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/n ... one-38901/
Twenty people descended on Fridgehenge to mark the summer solstice
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

iviehoff

Postby iviehoff » 23 Jun 2015, 10:53am

The cyclist can approach Stonehenge safely by quiet roads, so long as they don't mind a bit of unmade road (just under a mile of it, each way), by using the unmade by-way from Larkhill (SW corner of) direct to Stonehenge itself. Also gives you a view of the Cursus and surrounding tumuli, to give that wider environment someone was describing. Also for part of the way, the lane gives you a brilliant view straight at Stonehenge itself. Straightforward connections to available NCN 45 which passes close by Larkhill. The by-way originally connected to that road that they recently dug up (the google maps aerial photograph does not yet reflect the new situation), so I'm not entirely sure what your options are if you don't want to turn back around again afterwards, although in principle the byway continues to the SW crossing the A303 but eventually ending by another A road. When I went there a couple of days ago, just to look at the stones from outside the fence, they did seem to anticipate that walkers etc might access the stones by this route, but maybe that was just special arrangement for the solstice.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Feb 2019, 5:24am

horizon wrote:Far more interesting than Stonehenge in my opinion is the nearby Solstice Park Services. As they say themselves:

All in all, we're talking 11 acres of roadside and leisure heaven. Solstice Park Services is directly off the A303 and boasts a 24 hour Somerfield (with petrol station and toilet), Harvester pub, KFC and Pizza Hut. There's also a Holiday Inn with a brasserie.

While Stonehenge may give you a glimpse into the past, Solstice Park Services will give you a taste of the future - and it doesn't come with bicycles! And while Stonehenge may give you tingles down your spine as you connect with Ancient Briton, this place will give you shivers down the spine as you look at what is to come.

Just as an addition there is an interesting toll road that passes through Amesbury and then back onto the A303 past Stonehenge itself. This toll road is itself around 250 years old but is lacerated by whatever goes on around Stonehenge. Like the Blackdown Hills and Devil's Punchbowl, Stonehenge was one of the last pieces in the jigsaws of primary routes to the coast. The road engineers reckoned that they could get away with vandalism on a massive scale by leaving them till last and showing how stupid it would be to leave in place a few miles of old road. On each occasion their bluff seems to have been called.

If you ever have doubts about giving up your car, visit Solstice Park and realise that with your car you are trapped in a ghastly nightmare of a motorised culture that has lost all connection with place, with history, with local culture and food, with fresh air and local climate, with geography, with anything in fact interesting or meaningful.

Eleven acres of roadside. And leisure heaven
I must go there, where may I park my cycle?

The Guardian has a 'long read' about Stonehenge today, not sure if there is anything new
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 9 Feb 2019, 9:17am

The Stonehenge tunnel is an insanity vanity project.

The tunnel itself will do nothing to help the summer traffic jams. Those jams can be helped by bypassing the small village (with its traffic light) downstream of Stonehenge.

The best contribution to Stonehenge would be to get all the lorry traffic onto trains - as the magnificent Swiss have done in their country. This would greatly reduce diesel and noise pollution.

With regard to cycling on the plain there are many tracks which would be so easy to turn into a proper cycleway albeit with the odd shell whistling overhead.