Bus stop and zig zags

eltonioni

Bus stop and zig zags

Post by eltonioni »

What's the legal position with bus stop in or next to a zig zag zone giving traffic no realistic option but to force drivers over the zig zag lines to overtake the bus - and a cyclist while they are overtaking the bus at the stop.

Example 1 bus stop slap bang in the middle of the zig zag zone outside a school http://goo.gl/maps/zF0P

Example 2 immediately after a pelican crossing outside another school http://goo.gl/maps/KweT
irc

Re: Bus stop and zig zags

Post by irc »

In the first one the bus stop isn't within the zig zags. The short zig zag has the line ending it before the bus stop starts.

From memory the offence is overtaking within the crossing. Going over the zig zags en route to overtake a vehicle outside the zig zags is legal.

"Prohibition against overtaking at a "Pelican" crossing
19. The driver of a vehicle while it or any part of it is in a "Pelican" controlled area and it is proceeding towards the limits of a "Pelican" crossing in relation to which the area is indicated (hereinafter referred to as "the approaching vehicle") shall not cause that vehicle, or any part of it-

(a) to pass ahead of the foremost part of another moving motor vehicle being a vehicle proceeding in the same direction wholly or partly within that area; or

(b) subject to the next succeeding regulation, to pass ahead of the foremost part of a stationary vehicle on the same side of the crossing as the approaching vehicle, which stationary vehicle is stopped for the purpose of complying with regulation 16 or 17."

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1987/Uksi_1 ... _3.htm#(ii)19prohibitionagainstovertakingatapelicancrossing
Last edited by irc on 12 Jul 2010, 8:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Afaik, the restrictions on overtaking within the zig-zags only operate on the approach to a crossing. It's illegal to overtake a motor vehicle which is moving within the approach zone, or to overtake a stationary vehicle (not necessarily a motor vehicle) when it's at the crossing. (My words - I've linked to the actual regs on here before.)

I don't think any of the bus stops in the links interfere with compliance with the regs. (At least one of the lengths of zig-zags has been reduced to accommodate a bus stop but that's allowed.)
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

It's also only vehicles that are stopped FOR the crossing that you are not allowed to pass.
If they are stopped for another reason, you can pass them perfectly legally.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

eltonioni wrote:giving traffic no realistic option but to force drivers over the zig zag lines to overtake the bus

i'm sorry, but this is BS.
i'm a motorist as well as a pedestrian and a cyclist.

i've never been forced to overtake a bus at a bus stop, nor have i considered waiting for a few seconds whilst the driver allows passengers to alight/disembark not to be a realistic option :roll:

interesting use of language there. i hope that you're driving a fire engine/ambulance. that or you're nuts :(
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

The bus stops are not on the approach to the crossing, but after it - the zig-zag lines only apply if you are heading *towards* the crossing.
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

I thought the rules were that no other road markings were allowed in the zig-zag region. I'll have to check the Traffic Signs and General Directions to be sure!

Then again, we can't rely on local councils to comply with regs, even if they are described in minute details. On my travels today, I saw an advisory cycle lane on a main road with the "route to used by pedal cycles only" - blue circle with white bike - sign next to it. Wrong Wrong Wrong.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

Fatbat seems to be a disciple of Neil Heron - run, run from false prophets for that way lies misery and technicalities:!: