Bikes on replacement busses

thekelticfringe

Bikes on replacement busses

Post by thekelticfringe »

My commute involves a quick ride in the car to catch the train, completed by a bike ride of about 15 miles at the end. The train company (Scotrail - part of First Group) has suspended the rail service for 2 weeks whilst they fix the track. During this period thay've substituted busses.

I've asked what provision there is for the busses to carry cycles (as this is the customary level of service), to which they have replied that there is no provision and cycles will not be carried - poor show! Then I suggested that I could store my bike (approx value £800) at the station overnight if there was secure storage. They suggested the "U-shaped" railing things. I pointed out that these were inadequate as they don't prevent vandalism or the theft of components and, in the particular case of the station I want to use, are tucked away in what looks like an afterthought in a secluded area out of sight of the CCTV and other security measures.

I've suggested two ideas - one is a portable set of secure lockers that could be moved from station to station as needed and then chained down at the location and the other is that as part of First Group (one of Britain's biggest coach operators as well as a train operator) they could live up to their name by adding cycle racks to the coaches they operate - commonplace in many of our European neighbours so deffo not beyond the wit of man.

I feel strongly about this, and I've had an email discussion with 'customer services' - a lot of anodyne replies about how pleased they are to receive my feedback and that all suggestions they think are constructive are reviewed regularly. So I'm prepared to put some effort into trying to get them to consider seriously what to do - anyone got tips or experience of how to create and maintain momentum on topics like this?
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
Cunobelin

Re: Bikes on replacement busses

Post by Cunobelin »

It would of course be a dirty trick to claim travel on the Cycle Rescue service.
thekelticfringe

Hum - good find and very interesting - wonder what would happen if I happened to have an irrepairable snag just outside Shotts.......... Might be worth a go just to be a PITA :twisted:
horizon

Post by horizon »

I took this up with FGW. Their response was that it was really up to the coach operator - their discretion. I got FGW to agree that they would carry the bike if the coach operator agreed. I cannot remember if I got an email out of them or not. The coach operator of course agreed. If you can bag the bike or pre-flight it (you know, pedals, bubble wrap etc) it shouldn't be an issue. If the train is delayed or cancelled and they lay on replacement taxis or buses then they have to carry you (AFAIK) - I've had several 23 mile taxi rides with my bike at their expense.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PW

Post by PW »

We had a multi taxi ride for 4 plus bikes from Plymouth to Penzance. Must have cost them more than the tickets down from Chesterfield.
The bad news was my rear mech got damaged in one of the taxis and went into the back wheel 1/2 way across the moors to St Ives at 3am. :cry:
And that folks is why I no longer use the railways, with or without a bike. If they can't do their job I won't pay them.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
thekelticfringe

couldn't really pre-flight it, as I'd need to do x2 a day for 10 days or so and would have to do something with the wrappings, tools etc.

Think I might just chance it tomo and see what happens
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

Get two bicycles. Two very ugly bicycles that are function, but so ugly that no-one would bother stealing them.

Everyone needs to own an ugly bike.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or carry a few well oiled chains instead... (wear latex gloves) make sure you let them drape against all the seats...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
dave holladay

Post by dave holladay »

Caught this late - It would have been useful for Scotrail Cycling Forum meetings and if you failed to get a good reply you should have sent this to Passenger Focus. Dis you eventually manage to use the replacement buses (Shotts - might have been Hendersons and they are quite bike-friendly.